Author Topic: Lets talk logistics  (Read 6322 times)

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
Lets talk logistics
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
Alright. Here is the delima fellas.

I count my father in my crew, he will be down here shortly  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co But the thing I run into is this. He builds AR's knows them loves them. He's an AR guy.

I'm thinking about switching out to the AR as my primary. Mostly because of logistical reason. I have a smith. Parts, ammo consolidation, it just makes sense to switch out to the AR at this point in time. We both stock ammo for it. We both stock mags for it. If we both run it I feel things will be much much easier to control. Prepping will be easier and we can get more things done, better & faster. 

I'm not saying I'm getting rid of my AK's but I'm saying it may be wise for the both of us to consolidate and organize on 1 platform instead of 2
Am I making sense. I need your help guys no flak just input. Help a prepper out

RvR.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Colombo

Re: Lets talk logistics
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
I...

...not

mmm...

...say

smart assed....

uhhh...

comments...

must restrain self...

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »
I...

...not

mmm...

...say

smart assed....

uhhh...

comments...

must restrain self...

Really guy? Come on man. Input
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »
I'd say it depends on what the other potential members of your group will be using.  Also, how many of those members might be female and what weapon they are likely to be using.  In ours it will be mostly 22lr.  If you haven't set up plans and strategies already I suggest that "most" females will be more comfortable shooting the AR.  Although obviously, they would learn the AK quicker.

Even at that if they are flinching every time they pull the trigger on an AK then they will just be adding to the weapon's accuracy issues.  ( Yes, I admit that an AK isn't as accurate as an AR.  Although, someone who gets hit in the gut instead of the chest isn't going to be thanking his lucky stars the shooter had an AK instead of an AR.)

If after evaluating those things the AR makes sense.  I'd go that way. 

Edit:  Note that I strongly feel that "every" member of the group should learn and have the opportunity to practice with every weapon the group has regardless of what their primary will be.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:30:15 PM by sledge »

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Colombo

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
Really both are excellent designs with their own strong points. I doubt I could tell you much as you've already had more actual hostile world experience with the ar family and know its habits and needs.

Add in all the points you've already mentioned, I think you know your answer better than others.    If you have doubts keep an ak or 2 around just in case and for familiarity.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:38:16 PM »
Roger that guys.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
I have relayed this story before.

My wife hated to shoot my rifles until she fired my AR. Now she has her own and is excited when I say, "lets go shooting."

On another note: There are some great conversion units you can use in your AR that shoots .22LR. I love mine (Although mags are pricey). I will go through 500 rounds in a day and spend $20-.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Ghost

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »
I say keep the AK's, but build a KISS AR. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just something that'll work.

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »
I'd say go with a Sig Sauer chambered in 5.56. Guarantee you won't be disappointed.
"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:45 AM »
Having a group standard that everyone is using is pretty cool. I love the idea but no one that is going to be coming to me for help will atually step up and start prepping yet alone recognize any attemp to standardize equipment.

The brass tacks of the issue is that quality ARs are much more reliable than anyone wants to give them credit for and quality AKs are much more accurate than anyone would ever admit. So you are not going to be hurting for a good rifle with either choice and standardization is your friend. Not to mention which platform you have real world experience with.

Embrase it, oh and welcome to the darkside!

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:55:02 AM »
i outghtaa woop your ass reaver, hell we all should go over and give him a blanket party.

but yeah its a good idea

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
TG... I more like a spy to the darkside.

I can't really be welcome to the darkside because I have a lot more love for the AK and I will always admit that.
The only things making me turn this way is. Funds, knowledge, & equipment.
If I have two bolts, two firing pins, and two BCG's.
Long term prepping makes sinse to grab that weapon. Because if it goes down I can repair it.

Granted the AK most likely won't go down. Eventually stuff breaks.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
Also note that.

If the situation where viceversa ( AK parts, mags, ammo, knowledge & tools ) the situation would be the same except. I'd be keep my beloved primary and my pops would have to step into the light.

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »
Im mostly an AK guy but i pieced together an AR and I love it.
They really are great rifles, just different.

Plus i like having a gun for each of the two most common intermediate cartridge types in the world.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 04:16:31 AM »
i really think a standardized weapon system is the way to go, i do have standardized pistols but rifles just cost too much for me to get our group armed and standardized

S&W M&P9
 the official sidearm of the mountain crew  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
My personal view is that if you have a infrastructure that supports the AR platform then standardizing may be the best thing to do. You have a gunsmith, mags, and it is a common rnd in the US. the only draw back I see is the extra maintenance the system requires. and that argument is quickly trumped by the fact that your well trained on the AR system.
Having the AK as a backup platform is great. Its a less common rnd in the US.
But also if you come across people who you would let join your group. the AK is the better platform for someone with little to no experience. You can train someone on an AK allot faster than an AR.
Hey man you know me! I love my AK. but group consolidation is a worthy goal. The AR does offer some logistical advantages to your group. I say consolidate to the AR. But keep that bad boy AK in case you have to go do the Swamp Thing. That's where AK wins all day
Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
I would think training for the AK would be more difficult, especially for women and children, then the AR.  Just an opinion.

I thought my wife how to reload the AR in one sitting, I'm not sure teaching her how to reload the AK would be quiet as simple, as there is one more step, and they have to rock the Mag forward, instead of just straight up and in.

Thoughts?

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
I would think training for the AK would be more difficult, especially for women and children, then the AR.  Just an opinion.

I thought my wife how to reload the AR in one sitting, I'm not sure teaching her how to reload the AK would be quiet as simple, as there is one more step, and they have to rock the Mag forward, instead of just straight up and in.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Nuff Said.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
"...but group consolidation is a worthy goal..."

Very well put WJ. [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Colombo

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Nuff Said.

My first thought is I don't want to be standing to his side when he tries a mag dump :o

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Nuff Said.

I'm sure I can find some little African-American kid to pose with my AR if I wanted to, now do you want to actually discuss anything?

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
Ok EJR your right.
AR 15's are easier to train on than an AK that's why its been done SO much more for the past 50 years.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

MSSI ( Mandatory Sarcastic Smiley Insert )

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »
Ok EJR your right.
AR 15's are easier to train on than an AK that's why its been done SO much more for the past 50 years. 

If they were cheaper, more reliable, and more abundant, I'm sure they would have been.

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
Historical the AK platform has proven the easier of the two platforms to work with. this includes general function, maintenance, and gunsmithing. When training someone on a platform, we have to think they have no background whatsoever. you can train someone with no knowledge on an AK in a little over a week. that includes Marksmenship maintenance, and general function. The US military spends more than Three weeks in the same process. Ease of use is one of the factors that has made the AK the most popular weapon system in the world. I cant trust that every person in my community would effectively be able to use an AR to its full potential or keep it shooting properly. But i can trust that every AK i put into the hands of my community members is just about as idiot proof as it gets.
Just the general maintenance alone is far more complicated in the AR. Now add to that a field environment that someone can loose all the little pieces of the AR blot system in..... I know we keep having the argument about which is the better platform, and i think they both have great pros and few cons. I have to say as far as training up noobs. I would rather train em on the AK over the AR. And that's not just my .02 cents. that statement has allot of historical fact to back it up.

And one more little comparison as to the mindset of the two nations that produced these two awesome systems.
Durring the spacerace. the US spent over one million dollars to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity.
The USSR sent up a pencil. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer. and as far as equipping new people with no training. The AK is the superior choice in the matter.
Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »
Let's see, how to reload an AK vs. AR.

AK first.

1.  Pull the trigger to find out that your AK magazine is out of ammo.
2. Rotate AK and check the breach, to make sure its not a failure.
3. Rotate AK, take weak hand, grab a fresh magazine.
4. Take weak hand and new magazine up to the rifle, push release with thumb, retain empty mag with the same hand you have the new mag in and push the magazine foreward.
5. Seat new magazine with it tilted foward and rock it back in to you hear a click.
6. Retain empty magazine in dump pouch.
7. Reach under the AK with your weak, (Or over, or rotate AK) and charge the weapon

AR

You feel the AR's bolt stick to the back.

1. You rotate your AR so you can see in the breach and make sure its not a failure, the gun is empty.
2. You rotate your AR over so that you can easily get to the magazine with your weak hand.
3. You bring your weak hand up to catch the magazine as your take your strong side hand and push the release dropping the mag.
4. Move your weak hand and magazine to your dump pouch.
5. Grab a new magazine and jam it straight in.
6. Tap the ping pong paddle and you're loaded.

Sounds a hell of a lost easier to reload to me.  Especially, when trying to teach all that to women and children.