Author Topic: Budget sniper rifle  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Budget sniper rifle
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »
All the guys always wondering about what it takes to build a "sniper rifle" as cheap as possibly acceptable.. here it is.

Budget Sniper Rifle
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
Re: Budget sniper rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:47:02 AM »
It's actually a really good video.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »
Come on bros you know I can't watch the videos.. Whats it say, whats it say.. I wanna cheap sniper rifle too.. I wanna shoot 1000 yards.. I wanna.. I wanna.

No but really what does Mr. Yeager say about it?

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »
Come on bros you know I can't watch the videos.. Whats it say, whats it say.. I wanna cheap sniper rifle too.. I wanna shoot 1000 yards.. I wanna.. I wanna.

No but really what does Mr. Yeager say about it?

Well first you're going to have to buy a savage lol

backwoodsboy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
okay this sucks, first buy a h and r handi rifle, second get some spray paint and third get a cheap scope and there you go u have it for around 300 dollars  http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
okay this sucks, first buy a h and r handi rifle, second get some spray paint and third get a cheap scope and there you go u have it for around 300 dollars  http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

why have a single shot?
why buy an $80 scope?

i want something that will outshoot me.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »

thats not a precision rifle.... even if it does shoot accurate for some strange reason once you leave the nice clean range and actually start doing things a sniper does with his rifle to go where he needs to go your rifle is no longer zero'd even if the pile of junk scope your using some how does have the required features and magically holds a zero when moving the turrets around. let me put it this way..the setup your describing is 100 yard budget deer gun at best... its almost not worth trying to explain being you seem so sure of your response but what the hell..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:12:03 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
my only gripe is with the quick release mount... WTF do you need that for on a bolt gun?
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »
my only gripe is with the quick release mount... WTF do you need that for on a bolt gun?

Theres lots of reasons you could use quick release rings on a bolt gun:

-Swapping the scope onto the AR for a specific mission
-Taking the scope off for the trek there to protect from damage
-Hiding the profile of the rifle by removing the optic reducing your chance of being pointed out as a sniper. 
-Putting your scope on your buddys gun to prove to him its the shooter not the optics.
-Using the scope to make fire
-Last ditch effort when your out of ammo, try to knock out the other guy by throwing the optic
-keeping the optic warm under your jacket in extreme colds to prevent it from freezing up on you 

Etc..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:32:21 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
Kenny for the win.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »
-Last ditch effort when your out of ammo, try to knock out the other guy by throwing the optic

That's the true warrior spirit  [img]http://www.smileydesign.n

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »
yea i guess i gotta admit defeat on this on. +1 Ken.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 11:47:10 PM »
TG, why can't you watch the videos?

1000meterstare

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
My only gripe is the douche in the video.  If he truly trained "thousands of people" then those poor folks are defenseless.  Both Savage and Mossberg make accurate, awesome .308 bolt-guns that won't break the bank.  Throw some decent, inexpensive glass on, zero it - and Wallah!  Just keep up with your mathematics and trigger squeeze for those long-range puffs.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
  Both Savage and Mossberg make accurate, awesome .308 bolt-guns that won't break the bank.  Throw some decent, inexpensive glass on, zero it - and Wallah!  Just keep up with your mathematics and trigger squeeze for those long-range puffs.

I agree with this part of your statement.  + I think that those two brands of guns will be more accurate at a reasonable distance than 98% of the people who will be shooting them.  Anyone who thinks they will be shooting at a thousand yards and slaying bad guy bodies without constant practice isn't being realistic.   

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
  Both Savage and Mossberg make accurate, awesome .308 bolt-guns that won't break the bank.  Throw some decent, inexpensive glass on, zero it - and Wallah!  Just keep up with your mathematics and trigger squeeze for those long-range puffs.

I agree with this part of your statement.  + I think that those two brands of guns will be more accurate at a reasonable distance than 98% of the people who will be shooting them.  Anyone who thinks they will be shooting at a thousand yards and slaying bad guy bodies without constant practice isn't being realistic.

maybe i missed something... the gun in the video is a savage.. also the video was about a sniper rifle not a SHTF primary and employing a sniper rifle means the training required goes without saying to be useful with it. also inexpensive and decent glass cannot be in the same sentance and taken seriously unless you understand that "expensive glass" means 4-5k. and finally mathematics is the least of your worries when shooting long range in a combat environment.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:46:41 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 09:08:54 PM »
Where is my popcorn emoticon?
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »
I spent a little over $100 on a clearance Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 for my Savage 7mm mag.  That's as decent a glass as I plan to get.  I don't think I'll ever see a situation where I'll be taking 1000 yard shots.  I'll leave that for real sniper people if they feel they are up to it.  I just want something I can make a decent shot at 500 to  600 yards.  Even at that I suspect those types of shots would be few and far between.   

I don't know what situation people are planning for.  But if you're taking long shots at an invading army expect the next sound you hear to be a whistling noise followed closely by a loud boom.  So shooting one shot and gtfo would be an excellent plan.     

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »
The video above has nothing to do with prepping for SHTF. its a video about what the bare minimum requirements for a reliable long range bolt action. i understand its missleading when posted on a forum such as this. but let me also add it can apply in a very rare instance to prepping but thats not the main purpose of the gun described in the video.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

1000meterstare

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
Ken just had diaarhea of the mouth.  "Inexpensive" and "decent" when used with the term "glass" are not mutually exclusive.  2nd:  Snipers are this vaunted, worshipped, specialized warrior class.  I don't buy into that crap.  Long-range rifle shooting is ALL about mathematics and fundamentals.  In terms of technical skill and muscle memory the pistol is FAR more difficult to master.  The only thing that separates a long-range marksman from a sniper is the stalk and correct camouflage.  Why do most peeps fail sniper school?  Not their shooting ability.  The stalk.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
Well, I don't know about diarrhea of the mouth.  Ken pretty much knows his stuff when it comes to long distance rifles and distance shooting.  I just think he is thinking at a higher level of precision at greater distances than what most preppers will consider needed.  Unless their BOL is like in the Rockies or something.   Then they would have to think of angles and altitudes as well.  Kind of numbs my mind.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:11:15 AM by sledge »

1000meterstare

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:51 AM »
Could be...I'd like to think with a handgun I'm at a higher-precision at longer ranges than most with more rounds on-target per unit of time.  I'll start shooting my bolt-action at 500 instead of 200 and see what I get...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 12:26:16 AM »
Could be...I'd like to think with a handgun I'm at a higher-precision at longer ranges than most with more rounds on-target per unit of time.  I'll start shooting my bolt-action at 500 instead of 200 and see what I get...

Your absolutely right that shooting a handgun to its maximum potential accuracy is harder PHYSICALLY then shooting a rifle to its maximum potential accuracy if your comparing both guns to the accuracy possible when in a vice. but theres a lot more knowledge behind shooting a precision rifle accuratly consistantly at great distances. if you gave two people sheltered from any gun knowledge each a gun. one a handgun and one a precision rifle and asked them to become as effective as possible with them in there philosophy of use ( pistol 50 yards or less, rifle 1000 yards or less) and gave them unlimited ammo and range time. in one year the guy with the pistol will be a much better example of a good pistol shooter then the guy on the rifle will be as a good example of a good precision rifle shooter. Why? because the pistol is mostly physical difficulty. the pistol shooter has to overcome the fact that hes got only 2 points of contact on the gun VS 4 points of contact on a rifle. The guy on the rifle while he has more points of contact on his rifle making it easier to make an accurate shot when compared to the pistol guy hes also held to a higher standard of whats considered accurate because of that. then throw in the vast knowledge he must aquire in order to shoot at any distance and it becomes a much harder weapon to master. with long range NO ONE masters the wind. some just good pretty good at guessing. pistols have far fewer factors to master. theres a lot more long range shooting then mastering fundamentals unlike a pistol.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:28:34 AM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 12:36:02 AM »
Throws more popcorn in mouth....

doppleganger

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »
I have to weigh in on this.

Now, keep in mind that I don't buy into a lone sniper prepper/survivalist mentality. But I do know about building a rifle.

As a sside note, look up greybull precision. Ive worked with Adam for a long time. Their success comes from using a quality rifle, with great glass and their custom turret ranging system..

You want to start out with a good solid action. Remington 700's are popular because they are easy to blueprint. Meaning they are easy to turn on a lathe and remove as much out of tolerance material as possible.
You want a stiff receiver, making a savage 110 sub par. Your lugs should be smoked and lapped before a barrel is installed and you want your barrel headspaced correctly before it is installed.  No pull through reamers.
you want your barrel lapped and polished correctly.
you want a freefloating barrel with a .30 clearance minimum between the stock and the barrel.
You want length of pull and grip size customized for the shooter
You need to know what round you will be using in the rifle. No mixing and matching.
muzzle crown should be a 11 degree recessed crown
barrel contour should be a minimum of a #4 up to no contour.
scope mounts should never be quick disconnects.  A scope needs to stay on the rifle. If you take it off, automatically assume you will have to re-zero the weapon.
triggers should be set to the shooters preference using either a neutral or preferablly positive sear engagement. Never negative. No accutriggers. They move, adjustments are never standardized. One place youshould consider spending money on is a giessele trigger or a timney. They're worth themoney,if only to prevent the headaches.
My personal favorites are Winchester 70's, rem 700s, cz500, a cheaper alternative is a howa 1500. It's a clone of the 700. Older savages are good guns too. Just no spring adjusted triggers.
glass is a preference, just remember thatcheep glass has bad parallax problems and it will cause misses at distances outside of 400 yards. Leupolds are great, nikons are good for the price. You can spend a grip of money on glass.
Barrel manufacturers is a huge consideration. The better the barrel you buy, the better the end product will be.
you want barrel length and twist rate in consideration so you will know the proper barrel length