Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
News & Politics / Re: Brexit update from the UK (Sort of)
« Last post by Nemo on Today at 05:24:36 PM »
I did not catch much about it but I think May (PM over there) is up tomorrow for a No Confidence vote. 

Methinks she is going to be replaced.

Nemo
Security & Survival / Re: Squeeze Up Pennies For New Rifle
« Last post by Nemo on Today at 05:22:48 PM »
Its a lot of effort for a dubious capability that will result in heavier ammo and heavier barrels (IF they achieve it) and modern ceramic level IV armor can stand up to 30-06 AP... Are they seriously suggesting they will produce  a practical assault rifle with practical (reliable, affordable and lightweight) ammo that can do this?

Instead think of something approaching a "50 cal Assault" rifle  :dance:

OK, so I have time to really save up for the new 50 cal ninja style one?  But will probably be expensive so I better start sooner and save more!

Nemo
Security & Survival / Re: Smith 617 .22lr
« Last post by Nemo on Today at 05:14:21 PM »
Although I am a Colt fan through and through and through, I would go with a S&W no problem.

Nemo

from their website.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-617

Overview

The K-Frame revolver is one of the most important innovations in Smith & Wesson history and was built specifically to handle the .38 S&W Special cartridge. Since its introduction in 1899, the K-Frame has been a favorite for military and police professionals as well as target shooters and enthusiasts. Today's K-Frame is available in .22 LR, .357 Magnum and .38 S&W Special.

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
Availability subject to applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Radio / Re: A True Multi-band Antenna (80-10 Meters)
« Last post by Jackalope on Today at 04:17:36 PM »
    Well, as noted in the cited websites, the original G5RV is a compromise antenna which doesn't have outstanding performance on any band.  If you're going use a modified G5RV or ZS6BKW, I'd suggest keeping it as simple as possible.  Your option #1 is the simplest.  I would avoid using the switches as suggested in the one article.  It wouldn't be any fun going out in the darkness, or a snowstorm to change the switch position.  I've never been too impressed with the durability of antennas which use ladder line.

I like simple dipoles.  But I'm also a fan of the W3DZZ multi-band trap dipole.  It's a design from the 1950's, and it's well tested.  Unadilla-Reyco produced the traps and the balun for the antenna, and these can still be found used on line.  I used that model of antenna and a Kenwood TS-120S 100 watt transceiver to get DXCC, so I know it works well.  Here's a website that goes into detail regarding the dimensions and how to produce your own traps: https://rsars.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/w3dzz-antenna-iss-1-31.pdf

At my new QTH, there are plenty of trees, so there should be lots of opportunities to try out different antennas.  My biggest problem is getting the antenna wires up to where I'd like them to be.  I'll be investing in an antenna launcher, so that should solve the problem.

Anyways, we'll be looking forward to seeing how your experiment progresses.  Please do let us know the results.
« Last post by zanedclark on Today at 02:20:13 PM »
Thanks CJS06,

I have seen a couple videos that show problems with the 617 locking up.  Have you had any problems with reliability?
z
« Last post by CJS06 on Today at 01:42:39 PM »
Ugh, this crap comes up in the "news" every 6-8 weeks.  The 6.8 has been the focus of the new experimental case-less technology.  Yes the 6.5 CM has made its way into the inventory in very very small numbers to select units, far from Army wide.

If you hold your breath waiting for his to come about I just have to warn you that no amount of CPR is gonna help you.  Just wait approx another 6 weeks and there will be another slightly different, but very similar story about the new greatest round ever that the Army is adopting.

« Last post by CJS06 on Today at 01:37:08 PM »
Great guns. The K frame allows for a 10rd cylinder. The K frame is also crazy over built for the loads of a .22lr.  I prefer Smith revolvers blued, but the Stainless 617 is good for cleaning after shooting dirty .22lr.

Chris

« Last post by JohnyMac on Today at 01:28:29 PM »
Nope sorry Z.
Security & Survival / Smith 617 .22lr
« Last post by zanedclark on Today at 09:09:05 AM »
Does anyone have experience with the Smith k-frame 617 .22 lr?

z
« Last post by gadget99 on Today at 01:14:55 AM »
Yeah......

I call BS on this one to.

This would require a massive advancement across the board in all of the applicable technology.

Is it possible? "Shmaybe" In the future. Is it probable? Not with the current state of technology.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10