General Category > Health

Flu 2011 - My Flu Box

(1/10) > >>

Kindredspirit:
Hey guys... its been awhile.  I'm sorry for the drama and I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me and give me a chance to redeem myself.    So here's my first post as a newbie. 

It?s getting to be that time of year.  I can?t encourage you enough to go out and get that flu shot.   I just finished restocking my annual flu box? getting rid of expired meds and supplies and adding a few more.  It?s best to be prepared than to find yourself sick and without supplies. Remember to wash your hands (and remind the kids) as many times a day as you can.  Hand washing has been proven to be the most effective way of prevent the spread of infection.

Flu Symptoms:  Fever/chills, fatigue/ weakness, cough, headache and congestion

A word about fevers - Fever is almost always present with the flu and it usually comes on suddenly. When you have a high fever, you are also likely to experience chills. The higher your body temperature, the colder the air will feel. This is the reason that people with a fever try to layer on clothing and blankets, although doing so will only make the problem worse.

My Flu Box

Humidifier (Humidifiers put extra moisture in the air, which makes it a little less dry and irritating for you to breathe. They are especially useful at night when you will be in the same position for many hours. They can even help thin the mucous in your sinuses and help it drain more easily.)

Medications

Decongestants:  Sudafed and Sudafed PE are both decongestants. They contain pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) or phenylephrine (Sudafed PE) that helps to release congestion

Antihistamines:  can be used for symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing and itching. There are many different formulas available, including Benadryl(diphenhydramine),Claritin

Ibuprofen: also sold as Advil or Motrin, is a type of pain reliever/fever reducer. It is known as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug or NSAID

Acetaminophen:  or Tylenol is used to bring down a fever and relieve minor pain

Multiple symptoms medication:  Many options are available, just make sure you are taking one that treats only the symptoms you have. Taking medication for symptoms you do       not have is not only unnecessary, but it can also be dangerous.

Drinking lots of fluids and using salt water gargles (made by combining a cup of warm water and a teaspoon of salt) can often be helpful for easing the pain of a sore throat

Saline Nasal Spray: Treats nasal stuffiness without the risk of  "rebound" congestion from dependence on other nasal sprays when used for more than 3 days

Supplies

Gloves/masks
Lip balm
Kleenex
Toothbrushes- change after being sick
Listerine
Thermometers/ covers- each kid has their own
Disinfectant spray
Small trash bags
Cough drops
Alcohol
Vicks Rub
Hand Sanitizer
Baby Wipes
Anti-Bacterial Soap
Trash Bags

And I make sure I have lots of soup, saltines, ginger ale and gatorade  or things like that so if I'm sick I don't have to worry.

Kentactic:
id rather take my chances on the flu then with the flu shot.

NOLA556:
good to have you back kindred

that being said, obviously, I'm not a medical professional, far from it. but I've never had one flu shot, and I've also never once had the flu. yet everyone I know that get's flu shots seem to get sick every year regardless of the shot.

I actually defy many common rules. I don't wash my hands very often unless they're visibly dirty or if I KNOW that I just touched something that NEEDS to be removed from my skin, I eat and drink things way past their expiration dates, etc. and i've only been sick a handful of times in my entire life. and I know I can't have a great immune system because my diet is terrible and I drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney.

I think that this "sterile lifestyle" that we are encouraged to live only hurts us because we build immunities to all sorts of bacteria by being exposed to them. now, should you sterilize a wound? sure! should you practice a healthy lifestyle? sure! but sterilizing our entire world only puts us in a bubble, and no one can go their entire life without popping that bubble. so IMO, WHEN the bubble pops, why not already have a little exposure to that bacteria?

I'm hardpressed to prove this because it's difficult to prove, but IMO flu shots are just another money-making scheme from "big-pharma".

505th.NM.Militia:
Kindredspirit is in the house everybody!!!  And she brought another amazing post with her!!!  Welcome back and I hope you didn't just jinx us with the flu!   

sledge:
Welcome back Kindred.  My wife and I were just talking today about the fact that flu seems to be starting up with several people we know.  Better safe than sorry.  Better wash those hands.  lol

I'm with Ken about the shot though.  I trust that little germ just a tad bit more than I trust the WHO and FDA and the vaccine producers who subsidize them and pay for their Christmas Parties.

But then everyone knows I keep my tin foil hat close by. lol 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version