General Category > Health

Flu 2011 - My Flu Box

<< < (2/10) > >>

Kindredspirit:
Glad to be back!!  I missed you guys a lot!!

As far as the flu shot:
While everyone should get a flu vaccine each flu season, it?s especially important that the following groups get vaccinated either because they are at high risk of having serious flu-related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu-related complications: 
1.Pregnant women
2.Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old
3.People 50 years of age and older
4.People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
5.People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
6.People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
 a.Health care workers (like me)
 b.Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
 c.Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)

If you chose not to get vaccinated, here are a few helpful suggestions to keep you healthy

1. Get plenty of restful sleep. Your body recharges itself at night.
2. Drink water every day. Staying hydrated is essential to your health.  Water helps flush out impurities of your body.
3. Exercise regularly. 30 minutes of moderate exercise, such as walking, helps boost your metabolism and your body's ability to fight disease.
4. Avoid white refined sugar and food high in sugar content as sugar makes your immune system sluggish.
5. Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Include protein to protect and build your lean muscle mass and plenty of healthy carbohydrates from fresh fruits and vegetables. 
6. Take a high quality vitamin and mineral supplement daily. Most of us don't eat all the fresh fruits and vegetables we need for optimal nutrition.
7. Wash your hands frequently or use a liquid hand sanitizer. It's easy to pick up germs from door handles, grocery shopping carts and other articles used by large numbers of people.
8. Reduce Stress and Think Positively Your mental state has more of an impact on your body's immune system than many people realize. Mental states such as pessimism or depression directly effects the hormones released into our bodies. These chemicals (eg. cortisol) also directly depresses the immune system.
10. The other most important thing is to make sure that the people around you don't catch a cold; so keep them healthy too, for example if they sneeze, or is around someone who is sick, make sure that you give them some sanitizer, or make sure they clean their hands.

NOLA556:
kindred, do you know of anywhere that I could access a MSDS for each season's flu shot? do you KNOW for sure exactly what is in these shots? is there anywhere to obtain that information? (I.E. specific chemicals, ingredients, effects of those ingredients... etc... the same way that over-the-counter meds are required by law to list?)

any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm NOT being a smartass here, I'm honestly asking because I want to know.

Kindredspirit:

--- Quote from: NOLA556 on October 02, 2011, 11:27:59 PM ---good to have you back kindred

that being said, obviously, I'm not a medical professional, far from it. but I've never had one flu shot, and I've also never once had the flu. yet everyone I know that get's flu shots seem to get sick every year regardless of the shot.

I actually defy many common rules. I don't wash my hands very often unless they're visibly dirty or if I KNOW that I just touched something that NEEDS to be removed from my skin, I eat and drink things way past their expiration dates, etc. and i've only been sick a handful of times in my entire life. and I know I can't have a great immune system because my diet is terrible and I drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney.

I think that this "sterile lifestyle" that we are encouraged to live only hurts us because we build immunities to all sorts of bacteria by being exposed to them. now, should you sterilize a wound? sure! should you practice a healthy lifestyle? sure! but sterilizing our entire world only puts us in a bubble, and no one can go their entire life without popping that bubble. so IMO, WHEN the bubble pops, why not already have a little exposure to that bacteria?

I'm hardpressed to prove this because it's difficult to prove, but IMO flu shots are just another money-making scheme from "big-pharma".

--- End quote ---

Nola... I do wash my hands quite a bit, but in the hospital its a matter of life and death.  Our patients arent strong enough to fight off infection and they trust me to keep them safe.  At home, its another matter.  I let colds and bugs run the course unless someone gets really sick.  Antibiotic resistant germs are a big problem now because of improper and overuse of drugs.  Ive never had the flu either but I still get my shot every year.... cant stand the thought of bringing something nasty home to my offspring.  LOL....

I dont use antibacterial soap or cleaners.... I go a more natural route with white vinegar and water for almost everything.

mountainredneck2051:
i just got over the flu, yeah it sucked big time

but it comes and goes
whoopty fucking doo i was sick for a while and now i'm better

not gonna risk the shot over something like the flu.....

i take care of a boy from time to time who got autism from a vaccine, in the words of my grandpa

Fuck that shit

Kindredspirit:

--- Quote from: NOLA556 on October 02, 2011, 11:53:13 PM ---kindred, do you know of anywhere that I could access a MSDS for each season's flu shot? do you KNOW for sure exactly what is in these shots? is there anywhere to obtain that information? (I.E. specific chemicals, ingredients, effects of those ingredients... etc... the same way that over-the-counter meds are required by law to list?)

any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm NOT being a smartass here, I'm honestly asking because I want to know.

--- End quote ---

Let me get a package insert and see what I can give you.  It should have a list of active ingredients.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version