Author Topic: New 5.56 round out performs 308  (Read 1786 times)

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
New 5.56 round out performs 308
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a549416.pdf

They have redesigned the M855, new designation 856A1 to come on line by the end of the year. Check out the slides. They say it out performs 308 ball ammo against steel and kevlar.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:58:23 AM by thatguy »

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
Re: New 5.56 round out performs 308
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a549416.pdf

They have redesigned the M855, new designation 856A1 to come on line by the end of the year. Check you the slides. They say it out performs 308 ball ammo against steel and kevlar.

Good find bro, might be just whats needed to change my mind......
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline leadpersuasion

• Prepper
  • Don't Tread On Me!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »
Only time will truly tell the effectiveness of the round. It doesn't really amaze me that the government buys all the latest and greatest toys concerning the Air Force and in a large part, the Navy, but no so much the basic infantry unit on the ground. I mean, who really gives a fuck about the Geneva Code of 1899! I mean hell, give the boys some new age shit that will really get the job done. I believe the standard platoon should have 3 or 4 different loads for different circumstances. If we gonna stick with 5.56, I say they upgrade to the 70 gr. Barnes TSX round as a general purpose round, as it does most things very well. Then get them an armor piercing round, tracers, and a V-Max type for CQB for over penetration issues. Just a thought.
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
Not a bad thought at that. One of the things that makes the M4 series such a versatile weapon is the ammo and the different types available.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »
We will never see it as a surplus round its an actual ap round in 5.56 no lead in its make up at all. Copper and steel. New powder only makes a small improvement in velocity. I really dont see a need for this round to be issued to troops going to countries where the people they are fighting dont have armor.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
I really dont see a need for this round to be issued to troops going to countries where the people they are fighting dont have armor.

Maybe that is because the round isn't meant for them. Its meant for us. (Dun dun dun!!!!!!)  :D
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »
I really dont see a need for this round to be issued to troops going to countries where the people they are fighting dont have armor.

Maybe that is because the round isn't meant for them. Its meant for us. (Dun dun dun!!!!!!)  :D

Hell how many people here have armor? But really I thought it was against the geneva convention to shoot enemies with AP rounds.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:44:53 PM »

Hell how many people here have armor? But really I thought it was against the geneva convention to shoot enemies with AP rounds.

Your not shooting the enemy, your " eliminating his/her equipment " with AP rounds
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
Damn, that's impressive.
"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »
Only time will truly tell the effectiveness of the round. It doesn't really amaze me that the government buys all the latest and greatest toys concerning the Air Force and in a large part, the Navy, but no so much the basic infantry unit on the ground. I mean, who really gives a fuck about the Geneva Code of 1899! I mean hell, give the boys some new age shit that will really get the job done. I believe the standard platoon should have 3 or 4 different loads for different circumstances. If we gonna stick with 5.56, I say they upgrade to the 70 gr. Barnes TSX round as a general purpose round, as it does most things very well. Then get them an armor piercing round, tracers, and a V-Max type for CQB for over penetration issues. Just a thought.

geneva convention favors large conventional armies bro

think about it man it makes whoever has the most men, supplies, and armor come out a victor
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline leadpersuasion

• Prepper
  • Don't Tread On Me!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »
Na, I think it favors poor ass countries with skinny fuckers running around with AKs who need a whole fucking mag dump with shitty M855 or XM193 to go down! Cuz thats who the fuck benefits! Get you head examined! [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at
"Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson
"Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." - TigerSwan

Offline leadpersuasion

• Prepper
  • Don't Tread On Me!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »
And on a more reasonable argument against this new round.....it can decrease barrel life by half. Just some food for thought.

http://www.lwrci.com/articles/STMP-120300-LWR.pdf

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
I am really considering a m4.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
Na, I think it favors poor ass countries with skinny fuckers running around with AKs who need a whole fucking mag dump with shitty M855 or XM193 to go down! Cuz thats who the fuck benefits! Get you head examined! [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

thats some mighty poor shootin friend

i dont give a fuck what your shootin hit someone in the kill zone and it is gonna drop

Offline leadpersuasion

• Prepper
  • Don't Tread On Me!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
Right...so all those accounts from CAG in Somalia were total bullshit, huh? Those Delta boys totally suck balls at center mass shots, right?

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
I am really considering a m4.

Don't consider it, make it happen brother. Get a summer job and save your money. You can buy every part you need except the lower as a minor.
 [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
I like my AR bro you should get one.

But I will always own an AK  :))

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »

I think I will. We will cross that bridge when we get there.

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
we could argue all day and not get anywhere
stock what you like and i will do the same

have a nice day  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »

Hmmmm.  I think he's been turned to the dark side.   :o

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:37:52 PM »

Hmmmm.  I think he's been turned to the dark side.   :o

Its not called a black rifle for nothing.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »
You guys can't quote me and not say the entire thing [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at 

come on you know better than that sledge.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »
You guys can't quote me and not say the entire thing [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at 

I'm just playing with you Reaver!  LOL!  I know how it is.  Once you go AK it's hard to go back.  Hang in there brother.  You're just doing what you gotta do.   :)

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 11:57:09 PM »

I'm just playing with you Reaver!  LOL!  I know how it is.  Once you go AK it's hard to go back.  Hang in there brother.  You're just doing what you gotta do.   :)

I know I know  :-\

Damn logistics get you every time.  [img]http://www.smileydesign.n

Offline papabear

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:44 PM »
Logistics, yeah tell me about it.
When you look death in the eyes one too many times, the fast pace of life and the little things that you thought were important aren't really that big a deal.