Author Topic: Survival Myths That Will Get You Killed  (Read 1438 times)

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Survival Myths That Will Get You Killed
« on: June 10, 2013, 06:02:53 PM »
http://howtosurviveit.com/survival-myths-that-will-get-you-killed/

I had to laugh at the photo used in the article. Surely that is the new Prepcom avatar?

lol.

Back on topic, what survival myths do you know?

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
Re: Survival Myths That Will Get You Killed
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:23:02 PM »
LOL, I was just reading that article I saw reposted by Self Reliance Network, sadly no other myth comes to my mind now :S

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:33 PM »
Myth
After the disaster, go into the sports stadium with all of the other survivors.  Help is on the way.  You'll be cared for and safe.

Truth
From past evidence, when the authorities do arrive.  They will set up a perimeter around the stadium and keep those inside, locked inside. :gunner:

Inside the stadium will be despair, murders, rapes, and if any of Reaver's Rangers are in there with you, some really scary shit will be happening.  :gasMask:

2,000 go into the stadium, 1500 come out, most look the worse for wear, some look well fed.   :suicide:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:31:38 PM by sledge »

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
Funny stuff! My favorite is that water in a creek purifies itself after it has freely flowed a distance. WRONG!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »
I love the 'big knive' myth, first thing about it that strikes me is most folks claim they need if for protection and I ask PROTECTION FROM WHAT?? Have you ever been in a knife fight?? Where is all the shit that is going to attack you??

You don't need a large knife, you need a USEFUL knife... and a fucking spear.

To hear it told the second you step out of the car within sight of a tree all kinds of bears and shit just jump on you.. wrong.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »

To hear it told the second you step out of the car within sight of a tree all kinds of bears and shit just jump on you.. wrong.

I don't care about the bears, but the idea of shit jumping on me scares the hell out of me.   :hiding:

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
Interesting article, Crudos!  I'm curious what kind of cactus it was that defeated this dude.  You can, and I have, eaten fruit from several different cacti, as well as the pads of prickly pear cactus, but something like a saguaro cactus would be difficult (if it doesn't squish you like a bug when it topples over).  I already had it in my head that alcohol increased chances of hypothermia and I'm a little put off that homeboy a) went anywhere without a knife, especially a desert, and b) isn't willing to drink his own piss to survive, regardless of how viable that option is...

As far as snake bites, the current thinking is that you shouldn't bother with pumps or tourniquets, they can cause damage and, the more you move, the faster your heart will be pumping blood and spreading the venom.  You should remain as calm as possible, keep the affected extremity above your heart if possible and get to a hospital.

Rattlesnake myth:  I was always told that they have different anti-venoms for each type of snake and if you didn't know which kind bit you, you would have to get injections of all of them, but Walker recently dispelled that myth.  There's one rattlesnake anti-venom and here in NM, we only have one hospital that keeps it on hand.  It may be smart to know what hospitals in your local area keep things like anti-venom on hand. 

This is a great article to spark inquiry, but I think the author is liberally applying his knowledge.  When I get the chance, I'll delve into what cacti are edible and what shade of yellow means let it mellow (regarding your new favorite beverage- pissade)  :thumbsUp:

BTW, JM, you do have a better chance of drinking "safe" water from a spot in the creek where it's being aerated, like a small water fall or rapids.  Even when we're throwing iodine tabs in, we still try to collect the water from such a spot.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
 :thumbsUp: thatGirl!

Now after watching the ORIGINAL True Grit with The Duke I know how to take care of snake bites.

A well chewed plug of tobacco put over "x" cuts on the fang entry points. Apply tourniquet jump on horse with damsel and ride as fast as you can to the nearest American Indian Doctor.

Sorry, I couldn't find that scene but I found one of my favorites instead.
True Grit (9/9) Movie CLIP - Bold Talk for a One-Eyed Fat Man (1969) HD

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »
I had to laugh at the photo used in the article. Surely that is the new Prepcom avatar?
Glad to amuse you!  :fuckYeah: I certainly chuckled when I found it.

Myth
After the disaster, go into the sports stadium with all of the other survivors.  Help is on the way.  You'll be cared for and safe.

Truth
From past evidence, when the authorities do arrive.  They will set up a perimeter around the stadium and keep those inside, locked inside. :gunner:
Sad but true.

You don't need a large knife, you need a USEFUL knife... and a fucking spear.
OK, I found your whole post hilarious (and true) but this part was the best!

I'm curious what kind of cactus it was that defeated this dude.  You can, and I have, eaten fruit from several different cacti, as well as the pads of prickly pear cactus, but something like a saguaro cactus would be difficult (if it doesn't squish you like a bug when it topples over).  I already had it in my head that alcohol increased chances of hypothermia and I'm a little put off that homeboy a) went anywhere without a knife, especially a desert, and b) isn't willing to drink his own piss to survive, regardless of how viable that option is...
The reason for not having a knife is that I was on a run in Nevada and could see the road the entire way into the desert (well, technically, the whole damn place is a desert, but you get the idea). It was a hell of a long way in, but I had a clear and identifiable landmark to whole time, so the risk was nearly zero. As for the type of cactus, it was a barrel cactus, and yes, you can eat the fruit and certain pads of certain cacti (safest if cooked) but I was addressing the hydration issue. As I'm sure you already know, eating without adequate water is counter-productive.

As far as snake bites, the current thinking is that you shouldn't bother with pumps or tourniquets, they can cause damage and, the more you move, the faster your heart will be pumping blood and spreading the venom.  You should remain as calm as possible, keep the affected extremity above your heart if possible and get to a hospital.

Rattlesnake myth:  I was always told that they have different anti-venoms for each type of snake and if you didn't know which kind bit you, you would have to get injections of all of them, but Walker recently dispelled that myth.  There's one rattlesnake anti-venom and here in NM, we only have one hospital that keeps it on hand.  It may be smart to know what hospitals in your local area keep things like anti-venom on hand. 
Pumps (certain ones) can help a bit, and supposedly, benadryl *may* help in some cases. As for anti-venom?they do make species-specific anti-venom, but they also have generalized anti-venom that will work in most cases. Unless you happen to get tagged by some rare snake in Cambodia or something like that?then you're screwed. Also, you are 100% correct that tourniquets should not be used (unless you want to lose that limb).

When I get the chance, I'll delve into what cacti are edible and what shade of yellow means let it mellow (regarding your new favorite beverage- pissade)  :thumbsUp:
Let me know how that pissade works out.  :cheers:

Thanks for sharing the link and for the feedback, everyone! As this is my first post here, I just want to say this look like a pretty cool group of folks you have here. I look forward to sharing my experience and learning from many of you as well.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
Welcome to the board Jeremy!

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 10:24:58 PM »
Thank you!

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:09 PM »
Welcome Jeremy! (We need a waving hello emoticon for greeting new members)  For now I guess I'll just use the waving cigar guy.  :cowboy:

Yeah, you are right, this is a great group.  These guys are mostly the remnants of Mr Lock and Load who just couldn't give it up.  So then we were Straight Prep thanks to thatguy.  That is until he got tired of putting up with our nonsense.  So now he put us off on Johnny Mack here at Unchained Preppers.  At least we're unchained until he can figure a way to rein us in.  He's pretty clever that one is.

Anyway, welcome, it's great to see you here.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
Welcome aboard Jeremy, If you liked the USMC you'll love it hear. We don't call it hazing either ;)

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:42:01 PM »
Welcome aboard Jeremy, If you liked the USMC you'll love it hear. We don't call it hazing either ;)

lol!  I love this man's sense of humor!

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »
There's no such thing as hazing. Just character building.  :DrillSgt:

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 11:00:15 PM »
Welcome, Jeremy, and thanks for filling me in on some back story!  Don't take the things I say personally, I tend to run-off at the mouth-- doctors say it's on account of this gaping hole between my legs ;)

That said, let me razz you a little more.  I work in the desert and cannot fathom trekking anywhere, superficially or not, without a pocket knife, but I'm a few marbles shy of a game.  Thinking about it, I'm also pretty sure you're supposed to dig the cactus roots up for the water (could be wrong, that knowledge is in a dark and dusty corner of the old brain).  I've also been told by several medical professionals not to use a venom pump, but as you mentioned, if certain snakes bite you there's no harm in trying anything-- you dead  :zombie:   

Thanks for being such a good sport, feel free to tell me "get fucked" at any time.  It is a great group, so kick your shoes off and get comfortable :thumbsUp:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »
No worries, I didn't take anything personally.  :coffeeNews:

Re: the lack of a knife yes, I agree I should have taken one. However, I'm prone to risk-taking and being a veteran Marine who seen damn near everything, I'm willing to act impulsively more often than I probably should?especially at my age. So what started off as a ordinary run on the sidewalks turned into a jaunt into the desert. Long story behind that, and it was worse than just not having a knife (here, if you're curious: http://howtosurviveit.com/even-the-experts-do-dumb-things/).

Thanks again everyone, for the warm welcome.  :)

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »
No worries, I didn't take anything personally.  :coffeeNews:

Re: the lack of a knife yes, I agree I should have taken one. However, I'm prone to risk-taking and being a veteran Marine who seen damn near everything, I'm willing to act impulsively more often than I probably should?especially at my age. So what started off as a ordinary run on the sidewalks turned into a jaunt into the desert. Long story behind that, and it was worse than just not having a knife (here, if you're curious: http://howtosurviveit.com/even-the-experts-do-dumb-things/).

Thanks again everyone, for the warm welcome.  :)

Great article and glad you survived to write it!  Some excellent bits of info in there...
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
Here's one: You don't have to spend $1000 on an Armalite (or any automatic rifle) to survive, just get a Mosin Nagant!

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 11:28:05 PM »
I've never shot a Mosin, are they worth a shit? I remember when you used to be able to buy them for around $90 before prices on everything went haywire.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 11:56:58 PM »
I bought one when they where $54, heard some dirt headed shitbird talking about how 'American' it would be to own a rifle.

It was pretty damn good for $54 and coming up on 100 years old. My buddy and I spent the afternoon shooting it, sent 5x the value of the rifle down the barrel and put it away.. Ahh to be young and dumb again.. didn't know shit about corrosive ammo.

All things considered you can still pick up a Sears and Robuck k98 in 30-06 for $150-200.. which is less than some commie bullshit.. chambered in SAE too.

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 12:04:09 AM »
It might be a good option for a beater gun. And the ammo is obscenely cheap. I think you just talked me into buying a new gun.  :thumbsUp:

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 12:28:26 AM »
Hey thatGirl, it turns out you were right about the pump. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14747805

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 08:30:34 AM »
I've never shot a Mosin, are they worth a shit? I remember when you used to be able to buy them for around $90 before prices on everything went haywire.

Well, if I'm going to stake my life against the unknown, I want a modern rifle with 30 rounds.

As far as the gun by itself, it would be a great gun, if the Soviets hadn't screwed up basic weapons training. They used to zero their rifles with the bayonets fixed, in early 1941-42, because they couldn't afford to wait and properly train new recruits. Just shoot and then charge the enemy. As a result, the ones that have been shipped state-side have to be re-zeroed.

The best Mosins ever made were of Finnish production. Get one of those instead of the M91/30.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »

Well, if I'm going to stake my life against the unknown, I want a modern rifle with 30 rounds.

As far as the gun by itself, it would be a great gun, if the Soviets hadn't screwed up basic weapons training. They used to zero their rifles with the bayonets fixed, in early 1941-42, because they couldn't afford to wait and properly train new recruits. Just shoot and then charge the enemy. As a result, the ones that have been shipped state-side have to be re-zeroed.

The best Mosins ever made were of Finnish production. Get one of those instead of the M91/30.

Still sorta available, but not as cheap as regular 91/30.... Finnish m39

http://gunsnammo.com/

I currently have three of them. Great shooters with lots of history behind them.