Author Topic: Why not an SKS in SHTF?  (Read 5150 times)

Offline stocklt

• Prepper Apprentice
Why not an SKS in SHTF?
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
Alright then, aside from the ever present AR vs AK debate concerning SHTF, I wanted some input on your guy's opinions on the SKS, the points that I like are it's a  great stand alone gun, everything is internal and attached to the rifle, mag is attached and bayo is attached, so the only thing you really need to run this gun is ammo :)) you don't need dump pouches and a hundred dollars worth of mags and pricey chest rigs, you can get a chinese chest bandoleer for like 12.00 and stipper clips run around 6.00 for a box of 20 and your good to go! no need to worry about running out of clips or mags, you can ALWAYS load rounds individually.in comparison to the AK it can reach out further more accuratley, doesn't depend on external feeding devices and has an auto bolt hold open, which could save your ass in a fire fight :))

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Why not an SKS in SHTF?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
welcome stockit.

all I'll say is that we should always strive to maximize efficiency using the budget we've got. external mags took over the scene because they're faster to reload and allow alot more lead to be thrown downrange alot faster. if all you can afford is an SKS then trust me, no one here would ever shun you for it. but would I voluntarily toss aside an AR in exchange for an SKS? not a chance.

think of it this way, by your logic, the design is simpler which makes for a more reliable platform? (true, but you sacrifice speed) so by this logic, shouldn't we all be rushing to bolt guns? after all, a bolt gun is about as simple as you can get. not much in there to malfunction. don't mistake my sarcasm for hostility, brother. just making a point.  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

welcome to the forum. take a minute and introduce yourself. maybe check out the state-boards and see if any of the members are in your neck of the woods.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
If that is all you can afford to run, then I say run it like a Boss.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
If an SKS fits your budget and the personal needs of your plan then there is nothing wrong with selecting it as a weapon.  Any weapon system is better than no weapon.  You've mentioned some of the benefits of the SKS that you have thought through.  Recognize that it does have limitations in many areas and situations that we preppers think about and prepare for. 

Personally, if the budget was a limit to around $450 - $500, then I'd go for an AK or something along the lines of what Ken has put together. ( A combat shotgun and a bolt gun.)(I know Ken has spent more than that on his set up.)

Welcome stocklt!  I've seen you on before.  Glad you spoke up!  :)     

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
If an SKS fits your budget and the personal needs of your plan then there is nothing wrong with selecting it as a weapon.  Any weapon system is better than no weapon.  You've mentioned some of the benefits of the SKS that you have thought through.  Recognize that it does have limitations in many areas and situations that we preppers think about and prepare for. 

Personally, if the budget was a limit to around $450 - $500, then I'd go for an AK or something along the lines of what Ken has put together. ( A combat shotgun and a bolt gun.)(I know Ken has spent more than that on his set up.)

lol, bro I don't want to speak for ken or anything but I'm pretty sure the budget on his bolt gun alone puts my AR's budget to shame.. even with all the crap I got hanging off of it.

Offline stocklt

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies and welcome guys, I'm just spitballing and wanted to get some opinions and thank you for those, I do have AK as my primary :)) Buy so much goes back and forth, like the issue that you can carry more stippers than mags, for instance, now for my AK setup I have 6 mags in a chest rig one in the gun and one in the kangaroo pouch of my rig, for 240 rds. I find no issues, my SKS i carry 210 rds, I DO feel more agile with the chinese rig but weight wise they feel the same to me. [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »

lol, bro I don't want to speak for ken or anything but I'm pretty sure the budget on his bolt gun alone puts my AR's budget to shame.. even with all the crap I got hanging off of it.

LOL!  Yeah no doubt!  I was thinking more along the lines of a Savage or a used bolt gun.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
SKS is a fugly old gun, but wouldn't want to be on wrong end of one ever. Run it, master it, own it and you'll be well-served by that old SKS.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
There is NOTHING wrong with an SKS.

If you can afford better I highly suggest you do, BUT an SKS is a highly formidable weapon. I mean shit, they went up head to head against the M16 once prior. Look how that turned out. ( End result the communist took over the country we abandoned ) don't get me wrong I'm not at all contributing that entire victory...or defeat  depending on how you look at it, to the SKS but it did play a part.

The SKS is high powered, very accurate, very reliable. As long as you DON'T fuck with the design. You have an awesome weapon on your hands for the rest of your grandchildren's  grandchildren's life.

The  7.62x39 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9739mm is high powered.

Hunting comparison charts put it right up there with the American Rimmed Cartridge 30-30

The only difference is the 30-30 loses quite a bit of energy after 100-150 meters. The 7.6x39 does not. Effective killing range on the 7.62x39 is around 700 meters.

Not saying anyone can engage a target at 700 meters with an SKS ( Especially you Crow  :P ) but there is such a thing as luck.  :o

Reloads are like every other firearm, speed comes with practice, practice, practice. The only draw back is you only have 10 rounds to use. ( some variants offer more like the Chinese 20/30 round fixed magazine )====Decent
(or the aftermarket detachable magazine's )==== I DO NOT CONDONE THE USE OF THAT CRAP!
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »

The only difference is the 30-30 loses quite a bit of energy after 100-150 meters. The 7.6x39 does not. Effective killing range on the 7.62x39 is around 700 meters.

Not saying anyone can engage a target at 700 meters with an SKS ( Especially you Crow  :P ) but there is such a thing as luck.  :o

I'm glad you qualified that.   :)  The drop on 7.62x39 at 500yards is 12.7 feet and it retains 42% of it's energy.  I'm not sure about 700 yards because I never planned to be shooting at that distance.  I think it would retain about 38% of it's energy at that range.  I don't have a calculator powerful enough to calculate what the drop would be though.  LOL!  Considering it is on the steep downward slope of the bell curve I would estimate that it would be around 25 feet.   :)

Edit: The round will do a little better in an SKS.  Still, that's a lot of bullet to push for a half sized round.  P.S.  I'm an AK guy all the way.  If I shoot at that range my target will think it's raining lead because it will be falling almost straight down.  LOL!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:31:41 PM by sledge »

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
Like SpiritofAdventure said, if it's what you can afford then rock it like a boss.

I own two SKS rifles and I would rather be dead then have to defend myself with one. My experience is that they will not reliably eat steel cased ammo and within the first 200 rounds will stick a case so bad that you have to throw a rod down the barrel. That said they are accurate fast to reload and a well built rifle. I only wish I could get mine to run like they should.

And Welcome stockIt, go introduce yourself to your State's Board. There may be guys in your AO that you could link up with.

1000meterstare

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I believe, if you have to reload: you're wrong.  What I mean by that is that I believe in laying down a heavy volume of ACCURATE fire and breaking contact immediately.  Ain't no such thing as heroes or cowards in SHTF or WROL.  A bogged-down prolonged firefight results in both sides being losers.  If 10 rounds is enough for you to accomplish that more power to ya.  I'd spend the extra 100 bucks or so and get an AK.  You can't get an SKS for a buck-twenty anymore. [url=http://www.freesmileys.or   

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
Damn TG, its a shame you can't get your SKS's to run right.
What origin/year of manufacture are they?

I have personally never had a problem from either of the two Norinco SKS's i have owned. One EARLY import and one para.

Offline TheBugOutKid

• Prepper Apprentice
  • REGNAT POPULUS
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »

I have personally never had a problem from either of the two Norinco SKS's i have owned. One EARLY import and one para.

*coughcough* this is your girlfriend speaking *cough* the sks's are mine *coughcough*
:P

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »

*coughcough* this is your girlfriend speaking *cough* the sks's are mine *coughcough*
:P

LOL! Busted!  You shouldn't have told her you buying them for her as the excuse for buying them.   LOL!

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
Anyways, both her SKS's have performed great.  :))

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Anyways, both her SKS's have performed great.  :))

I'm loving this!   I used that one once on my wife when I purchased a matched set of 357's.  After she wanted to shoot one of my new guns I realized my mistake.  Of course I get to clean mine and hers.  LOL!

ArmThePopulace

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
I roll with and AR (which I paid way too much for) and my buddy rolls with a Yugoslavian SKS or his Nagant because we live in CA. He doesn't prep, although I constantly get on his case about it. That being said, he loves that SKS of his. It runs like a clock and he's pretty quick on the reloads.