Author Topic: weapon light  (Read 854 times)

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
weapon light
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
I just got a magpul moe for my ar so now i can mount a light.

As i just recently found out 123 batteries are a pain in the ass to find and expensive.
I want to stick to AA batteries preferably as they are fairly common and would be easy to find in wrol (remotes ect).

I really have no clue what to look for. The only discrimination i have is AA batteries and not to many lumens in output. why low lumens? I don't want to be blinded for a couple of seconds after i turn it off in the dark.

Any advice, brands, and models to look for would be much appreciated.
sic luceat lux

goodnightChesty1775

Re: weapon light
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »
man check out fenix lights! ken showed me them they have a few AA and AAA models.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:45:37 AM »
Yeah good on you for going with the AA lights... you said you wanted a not so bright one so your not blinded after using it but if you want to see whats going on with your weapon light the more you can see going on the better in my opinion so the brighter the better for me.

with all that in mind this is what im going with on my 870

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_E21_R2_Black.html#catalog/img/1000-x210600.jpg
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:48:51 AM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
I'm going to go with a fenix. Do they have momentary on and off? if not no big deal i'll just pick up a the tape switch.

also does anyone know of any cheap lights that work good? I only have only flashlight right now and i need to get more.
sic luceat lux

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
I'm going to go with a fenix. Do they have momentary on and off? if not no big deal i'll just pick up a the tape switch.

also does anyone know of any cheap lights that work good? I only have only flashlight right now and i need to get more.

http://www.weathershack.com/fenix-light/ld40.html

for a general purpose light these are nice, this light is what turned me on to fenix... not ideal for running on your full retard setup because the body is plastic.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
a 10-$15 dollar colman LED at walmart runs off 3 AAAs and has worked great for me for over 2 years on the same batteries

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »
I use an Olight brand M21-X warrior. It's 600 lumens. Momentary or steady. Four settings: low, med, high, and high strobe. Olight is a company that recently teamed up with 4sevens. Fenix is also tied in with 4Sevensix. They all make really good lights. If you look them up, make sure you look for the X part of M21-X. The M21 is 500 lumens. The M21-X is the updated version at 600 lumens. Also if you get a light that takes two CR123s, a lot of them such as the Olight Warriors also take the 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries, which comes in very handy. You usually get the 18650s on line,then just get a cheap battery charger that handles them. 10 or 15 bucks. You can even take apart an old battery pack from a disregarded laptop and it has like six 18650s in there. Most of them are still good even when the laptop said they're not. I love my light! It has good throw (about a 240 meter beam) and a nice blend of flood that really lights up a room. Most that I have showed it to can't believe that a little flashlight (about 5 inches long) put out so much light. (on high)