Author Topic: Weapon choice arguments  (Read 3981 times)

Colombo

Weapon choice arguments
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »
Come on guys, we're better than this...

I see a lot of pontificating, pissing, bitching, and dick measuring about weapon choice, action type, caliber, and controls of various weapons here and feel that many of us are missing some important points.

Familiarity, personal style (technique and temperament), and intended use are sometimes touched upon but don't seem to get the respect they need. I personally would rather have someone who has thought out their own use and has high personal skill with an old 94 lever action and a ratty but functional smith model 10 than the person who has a nice shiny new aug and 5.7 sidearm but has given little thought in their choice and the use of those weapons nor the capabilities of themselves or their weapon. There's some arguing going on here about weapon safeties of all things [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at.

Run what you brung and run it well are my only considerations.

If someone worthwhile shows up at my door with a semi 1919A6 and are skilled enough and bad ass enough to effectively carry and employ it, have at it buddy. Your eyes and ears and your personal choice of boomsticks can only help me. I would of course expect him to be the go to guy for roadblocks but if he can hump that beast thru the woods and put out effective fire he's welcome to come along. Same goes for a .22 rifle and pistol armed buddy, more points of effective fire and good tactics can only help. It all comes down to skill. As far as practice or amount of rounds put down range training, I have seen people burn pounds of ammo "sighting in a rifle" to little effect and some people who learn and improve noticeably with one 20 round box of ammo.

You all want examples, just take a look at some of the equipment used against "superior" armies historically and give careful consideration to the tactics, training, and attitudes that increased its effectiveness.

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
Re: Weapon choice arguments
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »
+1 for speakin the truth.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »
You're completely correct, Colombo.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
LOL! I've got a straw, an empty cigarette box full of spit balls, I keep one in the chamber, and I can hit someone in the forehead at 40 paces consistently.  If I knock on the door can I join the team?   :)   

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »
I've got a straw, an empty cigarette box full of spit balls, I keep one in the chamber, and I can hit someone in the forehead at 40 paces consistently.  If I knock on the door can I join the team?   :)   

Eww...you can keep your spit to yourself!

Colombo

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »
I've got a straw, an empty cigarette box full of spit balls, I keep one in the chamber, and I can hit someone in the forehead at 40 paces consistently.  If I knock on the door can I join the team?   :)   

Soak em in dmso and cyanide and they might be effective >:D Just don't inhale :o

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »

Soak em in dmso and cyanide and they might be effective >:D Just don't inhale :o

LOL! Sounds like good advice.  Actually, as far as .22's go, they fit into a defensive plan pretty well and our group intends to make use of them if it ever comes to that.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
LOL! Sounds like good advice.  Actually, as far as .22's go, they fit into a defensive plan pretty well and our group intends to make use of them if it ever comes to that.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a couple of those automatic .22 machine guns. People talk about suppressive fire...use that to suppress, and your riflemen to get good hits. I think it would be cheaper and thus more effective that way. Nobody wants to get shot, even if it's only a .22.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:13 PM »

I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a couple of those automatic .22 machine guns. People talk about suppressive fire...use that to suppress, and your riflemen to get good hits. I think it would be cheaper and thus more effective that way. Nobody wants to get shot, even if it's only a .22.

I agree with the concept but I don't think you need an auto fire machine gun to get an adversary to get their heads down.  Dust kicking up around them will do the trick.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
I agree with the concept but I don't think you need an auto fire machine gun to get an adversary to get their heads down.  Dust kicking up around them will do the trick.

I only advocate the machine gun because of its large mag/belt capacity. I think that someone made a rotary trigger for the Ruger 10/22, and if you could find a way to get 50-rd or 100-rd mags for it I think you could get a bipod and practice steady aiming while turning the trigger for extreme firepower capability.

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
I agree, arguments over guns are about the same as arguing over any opinion. Neither is right, neither is wrong. In the end, it will lead to nowhere. On the same note when you strongly disagree with something, at times it can be difficult to pull yourself back from it.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
i dissagree with everything in this thread. if some one else types something after me i dissagree ahead of time.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
i dissagree with everything in this thread. if some one else types something after me i dissagree ahead of time.

Was that a preemptive disagree?   :)  I've heard of them but I don't think I've ever witnessed one before. 

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
Man, TG comes on and it gets quiet in here.  LOL!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
I am with Ken, if you are not carrying the same weapons system as me then you are a joker.

;))

Colombo

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »

I hereby announce a preemptive and very clever shooting down of your preemptive disagreement.  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m and would also like to point out the obvious superiority of an AK for emergency propulsion in space.

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
Of course you must maintain a standard of weapons.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 03:12:51 PM »
I am with Ken, if you are not carrying the same weapons system as me then you are a joker.

;))

LOL!  I know TG loves that little popgun he's got.  You can see it in his videos.  He gets this orgasmic look on his face when he's shooting it.  LOL! 

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
Colombo

ROn L here

I thought this was well said and well Played, I applaude you sir for your good Post!!!! We are better thasn this and while we can have an opinion it need not lead to all the bickering and such!!!! Here here!!!!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
Sledge is right, I love my popgun but that said Ron and Columbo have nailed it. There is no perfect choice.

Sorry for making jokes and for busting your balls Rah I will try to be better next time.

Can't we all just get along?

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »

Can't we all just get along?

I can get along.  As long as everyone bows towards Russia, touches their noses to the ground and chants "Ak's Are Supreme".  Yeah, i know.  It doesn't take much to make me happy.   :)

Seriously, whose not getting along?  We all have our own opinions.  I haven't heard anyone say anything nasty or insulting yet. 

I also still can't hear a large crowd saying " Ak's Are Supreme", what the hell is up with that?   :)

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
I'd rather drive a Prius than run an AK as my primary.

Damn! [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
I'd rather drive a Prius than run an AK as my primary.

I drive a new Prius.  What the hell is wrong with a Prius?   >:(

LOL!  No I don't.   :)   The Gun Gods aren't going to be happy with you.

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »

I drive a new Prius.  What the hell is wrong with a Prius?   >:(

Gay stigma.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
All I got to say Sledge is that AKs break windsheilds.