Author Topic: Unfinished basement for bug in shelter  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Reaper_1

• Prepper Apprentice
Unfinished basement for bug in shelter
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
Question, I've got a small (30x30ft) unfinished basement that has my hot water heater/furnance in it.  How could I reinforce the ceiling in preparation of a SHTF event?  The only access to this area is a small 2x3 ft opening in a bedroom closet, and 2 very small (12x6 inches) vents on the outside.  Realistic ideas too, I'm not a millionaire.

backwoodsboy

Re: Unfinished basement for bug in shelter
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:12:42 AM »
im not a expert but the only thing i can think of now is maybe a couple 4x4 boards that fit tight from the floor to the cieling where some of the support is.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:16:11 AM »
Let me make sure I got this right. You got a basement. You want to beef up the floor above it?

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:45:15 AM »
TG is a carpenter if im not mistaken.

but me and my buddy reinforced a sheds roof (to make a patio area type thing on the top) we just built 2 "frames" just like garage frames, but flat, about 8'x2' with 4x4s 2x4s across the short distance and plywood on top. we built them inside the shed so it could still be used and then the roof was strong as heck.

now are you talking about reinforcing it against a human breaking in?

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:02:37 AM »
Yeah there isn't a celling in a basement, unless your taking about drywall or something.

I don't think it's a realistic idea to do this. What are you looking to protect against?
sic luceat lux

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 01:57:18 AM »
Yeah there isn't a celling in a basement, unless your taking about drywall or something.

I don't think it's a realistic idea to do this. What are you looking to protect against?

I have an awesome troll for this comment but some member's would get boo boo faced and throw a fit, id get a warning or they would leave. ( i have a tendancy to make people leave this site with my " Cruel " jokes )

I'd say jusst leave it as is man, set up some contingency plans on esacape. And also on blocking those entrances. I would make another entrance as well. One that no one knows about and you can hide pretty effectivly.
We all know, the public records show the design of your home. If ( enter name of agency ) wants into your home they will get the blue print and look for any opening they can to sneak in & or block your escape.
RvR
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

CrookedSights

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:17:51 AM »
What's wrong with using the house as a bug in shelter? Or do you mean you want to use it as a fallout shelter? You could put in a root cellar type access from the outside of the house for easier access and build an addition around it that's basically how mine is.

Offline Reaper_1

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 06:53:49 AM »
I'm looking at reinforcing the floor above me to prevent anything or almost anything from coming through the floor.  A second exit would be one of the first modifications because I wouldn't want to be trapped if the house above me collapsed.

CrookedSights

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »
You can sister the joists and add some more support posts.

CrookedSights

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:19:53 AM »
I'd also add some bars on the windows for added security.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »
Without replacing the floor with something that is much more serious than the typical wood framing and subfloor you are not going to be able to harden that floor without serious investment in time and energy.

You could sandwich a 10-14g sheet steel between the current subfloor and cover it with High Density plywood but man that is going to cost you a pretty penny and take tons of work to get the job done and all it would mean is that they would now need an axe to get to you.

Ideally you (and I am saying this without seeing the house and with no real information on how its built) would replace the floor with a concrete floor. I know that sounds like a lot but on the classic American house (stem wall then wood framing) it would be pretty easy to pour a slab in place under the existing floor. You would need to hang your rebar off the current floor, build a deck form and shore it up then cut holes in the current floor so you could pour in plasticised concrete. That shit really flows and because you are still using your existing floor you won't need to finish the concrete.

I will do the job site unseen for $75,000 ;)

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »
Not sure how much this will help. But... get a gun. Anybody prying or chopping at the floor to get to you is most likely trying to do you harm. Wherever they start prying (provided family/you are all in safe place in basement) Shoot in that spot. Bullets will pass through the floor. The exceptions to shooting being fairly obvious. Fire department/ems trying to rescue you, or police on a search warrant.
A gun and some quality range time will be far cheaper than trying to make your basement a safe

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »
Construct a sand bag ceiling for for all or part of your basement.  It won't keep intruders out but it will keep bullets out.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride