Author Topic: Tent Vs. Hammock - Your Thoughts  (Read 443 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Tent Vs. Hammock - Your Thoughts
« on: March 09, 2021, 10:15:14 AM »
This coming year one of my goals is to return to the backpacking trail. Specifically, take to the trail and setup QRP (Low Power) HF radios and make QSO's (contacts).

In my youth my buddy Steve and I use to backpack all over Mid-Atlantic and New England states. I even did a stint in California and New Mexico over two summers. To keep weight low, we mostly used tarps configured into differing setup modes. When it was winter we shared an actual tent. We would split up the load as best as we could so neither had the burden of carrying the tent. Ultra-lite tents were a bit out of our teenage price range.

One thing I did splurge big money on was a 0' F rated down sleeping bag. It was heaven. And, it weighed like 2-pounds or so.

In 2016 I really took to playing radio and started camping out at parks around the area to do POTA (Parks On The Air) events. On a whim, I purchased a hammock one day and started using both my hammock and one man US Military ICS (IMPROVED COMBAT SHELTER) tent. After awhile I found myself using the hammock and tarp more and more than the tent. The reasons being,

> Comfort,
> Less weight overall, e,g, tent plus ground mat, stakes, etc.,
> Ease of putting up as long as you have trees to suspend from,
> Even if raining, by putting up the tarp first, the ability to keep the hammock water free, and
> A ready made chair at a camp after a long trek. 

Now, I still use a tent for large ham radio events (Core equipment 9'x'14'x7') and my one man ICS for when the snow is flying. You can't beat that enclosed vestibule for keeping your pack dry and to cook in using a propane pocketrocket burner.

So, to my point of writing this piece, what do you like to take along to sleep in - hammock or tent? Please explain why when you post your preference.

Pictures or links are always appreciated.   

Let the debate begin  :shitStorm:   
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Tent Vs. Hammock - Your Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
    I've avoided hammocks, because I feel vulnerable with my butt hanging in the air.  I don't feel comfortable with the idea of animals can readily be beneath my body while I'm sleeping.  And there's the issue of finding appropriate support for the hammock, what happens if you're camping above treeline, or on frozen tundra?

I prefer either tents or tarps.  Tents are especially useful in the winter, since you can create a micro-climate by using a small sheep herders stove.  I've camped out in zero degrees weather in a pyramid shaped tent, dressed in sweat pants and a t-shirt, while a small stove kept in the interior temperatures comfortable.  Using a pulk, it's possible to transport the tent, stove, and firewood without much effort.

If I'm backpacking, then either a solo tent or a tarp.  Typically, I carry a bivy sack to cover my sleeping bag, so i don't have to be concerned about moisture issues.  Some of the lightweight tarps cost as much as a tent.  If you're concerned about weight of equipment, and you have a large budget, try: www.hyperlitemountaingear.com   

On my last hiking trip, two years ago, I used a tarp and the sleeping bag/bivy set-up, which worked fine for myself and my dog.  The bivy bag has an insect net too, so insects aren't a problem.  Using a tarp also gives me more room to protect equipment, prepare meals, etc.  A tarp can be erected using hiking poles or a hiking stick for support.

I recently acquired a new tarp, which may be of interest.  It's made by Arcadia Gear, and it seems to be well constructed,  What's interesting, is that the material is waterproof and it has an integrated heat reflecting material on one side.  So, theoretically, if properly pitched, it should have a very low thermal signature.  Nice for avoiding thermal scopes or drones.

Summer sleeping, I use a lightweight down bag, again with a bivy sack, winter, either a military surplus sleeping system, or a LL Bean synthetic bag, rated to -30F with a bivy sack.  We have loads of sleeping bags, with various temperature ratings.  Thermarest sleeping pads are usually used when hiking.  If I'm just vehicle camping or canoe camping, then I use a paco pad, which is like a thermarest on steroids.

As I've gotten older, I find that I place more value on sleep.   8)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 07:24:48 PM »
Tent, tent, tent, tent, tent, oh, did I forget to mention Tent. I keep a 2 man pop up tent in the back of my vehicle with a half assed bugout bag that will help me survive in a pinch. Yes, I'm sorry to say, but I actually do have a net type hammock in my regular bug out bag just in case I need it. No matter how prepared I am, I still understand that I'm not totally prepared.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 07:27:33 PM »
Jackalope wrote, As I've gotten older, I find that I place more value on sleep. Amen to that Brother.  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 08:41:50 PM »
Some of my best sleep was in a hammock, I need to get another one
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c