Author Topic: Spare Parts...Your Thoughts  (Read 1354 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Spare Parts...Your Thoughts
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
I woke up this morning about 4ish and couldn?t get back to sleep. So I started to think of some things I did not have on my to buy list. One of the items was spar parts.

Spare parts for the generator, for the hose, for the water pump, for the wood stove, etcetera. One of those spar part kits I need was one for my AR. So I googled to see what I came up with and here is the list that Onmilo posted on http://www.thehighroad.org/

My question is: What was left out?

Onmilo Wrote:
Gas rings are the parts that wear out the most, you should keep at least three or four sets of three on hand.
An ejector assembly with pin
An extractor assembly with a couple spare pins and a couple spare springs.
A cam pin
A firing pin, a couple or three of these if you are one of the guys who insist on using a firing pin as a rudimentary punch.
Three or four firing pin retainer pins, this is the part that seems to become lost or hoplessly bent up the most frequent.
Most of these parts you will, or may, need because you end up losing the part on the floor or ground.
Except for those gas rings and a very occasional broken extractor spring these parts actually hold up very well.

A spare trigger and hammer spring are nice for just in case, trigger group parts rarely go south.

A spare bolt and carrier are nice but unless you intend on shooting 5000 rounds or more a year from your rifle, you probably won't need these and the unit can be pricey for a good replacement set.

Get a 1/16" or 3/32" mini pin punch and keep this with your cleaning gear, don't use the firing pin as a punch.

Maybe we need to come up with a list of spare parts for all common weapons; Glock, 1911, Sig Sauer, Baretta, etcetera.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
Re: Spare Parts...Your Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
Part of the reason I have to rotate to the dark side bro... :(  I got a fuck load of AR parts an no AK parts.

Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »
lol I have a bunch of AK parts and no AR parts.  :))

Colombo

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
For the ar I would consider a spare disconector or two a must have.

Free tip, a spare selector detent spring can be salvaged and cut to length from a bic lighter [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
Thanks Colombo.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
shit what i have been meaning to do is buy a whole extra lower parts kit, and then buy the BCG pieces also. car parts, tools, boots...ect i need alot of extras.

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »
http://www.thecitizensarmory.com/
Had to order a new detent spring anyways (no bic lighters in the house) so I went ahead and order a few extra springs, pins, etc. It'd probably be wise to do what Chesty suggested and just buy an extra lower parts kit. Also, I'd consider an extra buffer tube.
"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »
Cool WW.

What about AK's? I know, I know they never break.  ;)

What spare parts should we have on hand?

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »
I've been giving this question a lot of thought lately, I can't find a nice middle ground between too much and too little.

1 spare bolt.

A full set of springs.

I am having a hard time with this because it takes a whole lot of shooting to wear out a decent rifle. As a matter of fact is more shooting than most folks can survive.

Colombo

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »
For an anything goes situation a few spares for other peoples weapons or even pickups and the mind and means to get or keep them running could be advantageous for an individual and his community. 

As for the AK I'd also have a chunk of 1" x .250" x 4 or 5" chunk of steel for straightening tweeked recievers back to functional, People abuse or neglect things in bad situations and even the ak can fail from a bump in the wrong spot.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
id like to just buy a couple spare guns to replace the ones i got now but thats just day dreaming..........

as of now all i got is spare magazines......
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »

It's a spare clip!  Magazines are things you read, and occasionally use in place of toilet paper.  LOL!  LOL!

Waiting for the blow back.   >:D   LOL!  LOL! 

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Hello all, RON L here
aliber
I have always set a small amount of spare parts for my Common Caliber Semi auto weapons:

1. Spare mainspring
2. Spare Recoil Spring
3. Spare Firing Pin
4. Spare Firing pin spring
5. Ejector and Pins
6. Ejector and Pins and spings

In the past I have even set aside a spare barrel for BHP and 1911a1 but thats Probabaly Over kill and to defeat Ballistis testing (Only Kidding folks) !! This como has gotten me by numerious deployments and decades of weapon use, try it I swear it will work for you!

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »

It's a spare clip!  Magazines are things you read, and occasionally use in place of toilet paper.  LOL!  LOL!

blowback doesnt exist bro   :))
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »

blowback doesnt exist bro   :))

Huh?  What?  I'm thinking this over.   :o  Blow back as from an explosive device..  No homo man.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco