Author Topic: Palmetto State Armory KS-47 pistol part 4 - accuracy  (Read 851 times)

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
Re: Palmetto State Armory KS-47 pistol part 4 - accuracy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 06:06:27 AM »
I was quite curious about how the KS47 in general was because I want to pick up an AK before NC Scout's Kalashnikov course in October and had been looking at PSA. My original thought was a WASR of course but PSA is giving me things to think about
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:30:25 AM »
Patriotman

If you want an Ak, get an AK. There are plenty of good (and a number of bad) AKs available. I have heard mostly good things about the PSA AKs.  If you can spend a couple of hundred more than for a WASR ($7-800) then look for an Arsenal SLR107. They are getting harder to find but can still be had around $1k ish.  Dont play around with the AR platform 7.62x39s. Though the one in the review is a hybrid design that uses AK mags, solving one common problem in these types, it still isnt worth it.  The thinning of the AR bolt to incorporate the case head is a weak point in the design.  If it is for a fun gun then no problem but if it is for a primary rifle then you may want to rethink it. Replacement bolts will not be an easy find if things get tough.

Chris

Offline Hawkeye

• Prepper Apprentice
    • UW Gear
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »
So far, PSA has not had any issues with their KS-47 bolts. I would take this gun to a fight without hesitation.

Offline Hawkeye

• Prepper Apprentice
    • UW Gear
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
I was quite curious about how the KS47 in general was because I want to pick up an AK before NC Scout's Kalashnikov course in October and had been looking at PSA. My original thought was a WASR of course but PSA is giving me things to think about

PSA's AK's have done well. The first one that Robski tested made it through testing. He's currently doing a new gen one. Keep an eye on that. If I were going to buy a new AK right now, and I just may soon, I'd get a PSA. I say that having had quite a bit of hands on experience with WASRs and Arsenals (have owned multiple as have numerous friends).

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »

PSA's AK's have done well. The first one that Robski tested made it through testing. He's currently doing a new gen one. Keep an eye on that. If I were going to buy a new AK right now, and I just may soon, I'd get a PSA. I say that having had quite a bit of hands on experience with WASRs and Arsenals (have owned multiple as have numerous friends).

Patriotman

If you want an Ak, get an AK. There are plenty of good (and a number of bad) AKs available. I have heard mostly good things about the PSA AKs.  If you can spend a couple of hundred more than for a WASR ($7-800) then look for an Arsenal SLR107. They are getting harder to find but can still be had around $1k ish.  Dont play around with the AR platform 7.62x39s. Though the one in the review is a hybrid design that uses AK mags, solving one common problem in these types, it still isnt worth it.  The thinning of the AR bolt to incorporate the case head is a weak point in the design.  If it is for a fun gun then no problem but if it is for a primary rifle then you may want to rethink it. Replacement bolts will not be an easy find if things get tough.

Chris

So far, PSA has not had any issues with their KS-47 bolts. I would take this gun to a fight without hesitation.

Thank you gentlemen. I would rather save the extra couple hundred for a KS47 and an optic. So KS47 it is
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »
If you go with the KS-47 make sure that you get a spare bolt and keep it with you if you are going to a class.  This is NOT an anti PSA thing. I am very pro PSA in general. This comes from the gunsmithing side of my experiences. It is a simple fact that the 7.62x39 uses a bolt that has significant material removed from that of a std 5.56 bolt in order to fit the case head (see attached pic). This is in a package that is much harder on the gun that running 5.56mm (consider the heaviest buffer that will allow the gun to run consistently).  I have a small collection of broken 7.62x39 bolt (4 or 5) compared to 3 broken 5.56 bolts. Consider the number of ARs in each caliber that and the percentage is dramatic.

Also if you are going to a Kalash class you should probably consider going with a Kalash platform to get the most out of the class rather than a hybrid that only fits the "platform" based off of the cartridge and magazine used. PSA makes some very decent AK's.

I have no flesh in this game, and do not have an emotional stake for or against the manufacturer or the product.  I am just trying to impart some of my experiences.

Chris

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 06:59:33 PM »
Great discussion gentlemen.  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 09:12:45 PM »
If you go with the KS-47 make sure that you get a spare bolt and keep it with you if you are going to a class.  This is NOT an anti PSA thing. I am very pro PSA in general. This comes from the gunsmithing side of my experiences. It is a simple fact that the 7.62x39 uses a bolt that has significant material removed from that of a std 5.56 bolt in order to fit the case head (see attached pic). This is in a package that is much harder on the gun that running 5.56mm (consider the heaviest buffer that will allow the gun to run consistently).  I have a small collection of broken 7.62x39 bolt (4 or 5) compared to 3 broken 5.56 bolts. Consider the number of ARs in each caliber that and the percentage is dramatic.

Also if you are going to a Kalash class you should probably consider going with a Kalash platform to get the most out of the class rather than a hybrid that only fits the "platform" based off of the cartridge and magazine used. PSA makes some very decent AK's.

I have no flesh in this game, and do not have an emotional stake for or against the manufacturer or the product.  I am just trying to impart some of my experiences.

Chris

Thank you for all of this. I will continue musing on the subject but this is all factoring into my decision. Good thing I don't plan on buying one until the fall lol

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper

Offline Hawkeye

• Prepper Apprentice
    • UW Gear
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »
While not my primary go-to gun, I'll be shooting mine as much as I can. If something goes south on it I'll definitely be letting folks know. I'm also going to stay in touch with PSA about it and try to keep tabs on if they start seeing issues once people start getting the round counts up on them.