Author Topic: one ugly round,has anyone tried these yet?  (Read 807 times)

frost

one ugly round,has anyone tried these yet?
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »
I'm wondering  if any of you have tested the Winchester PDX1 12 Gauge 2.75" 1oz Slug & 00 Buck ?
its a 300 gr slug with 3 copper plated 00 pellets, its a crazy round and I'm considering ordering few boxes on from cheaper than dirt. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:21:13 PM by frost »

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
Re: one ugly round,has anyone tried these yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
Have not tried them yet.. how much they asking? :)
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:37:03 PM »
interesting take on buck n ball.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
Sorry frost I have no experience with that load.

The British army was known for using a "buck and ball" load in their Brown Bess muskets for the first volley in battle. If I remember correctly, Washington too requested the first volley to use buck and ball loads.

Typically the usual .69 - .75 caliper cartridge was rammed home then 4-8 ~.32 caliper balls were loaded on top followed with some paper to keep the smaller balls in the barrel on top of the load. Subsequent volleys were just one projectile.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:19:05 PM »
I just learned something. I didn't know that buck and ball was prior to the civil war, but it makes perfect sense because of the 69 ca!liber thing. However, I live in the Petersburg ,VA. area and used to find the buck and ball shot all the time. The Confederates were known to use it extensively. What you will find is a round 69 caliber ball with 3 dimples on it that were created by the 3 buckshot resting on top of the ball. Here in the museum, they have an example that still has the paper and string wraper encasing the shot and powder. Yankees hated being shot at with Buck and Ball. The first time I found one, I told my buddy that it was cute because some soldier had made a smiley face on the ball. He called me an idiot and told me all about buck and ball.

frost

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »
Have not tried them yet.. how much they asking? :)
they are listed at cheaper than dirt , 10 rnds for 20.00.
not for plinking

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »
I have some new hunting grounds for fall.  It not far from civilization so I think I must get a box or 2 and see how my 20" barrel 870 likes it.

Most of the thickness of the woods where I will be should limit range to 50 yards or less.  Near optimal round for the situation methinks.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.