Author Topic: Mossberg Vs 870.  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
Mossberg Vs 870.
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »
I know When you guys read the title you get ready for a shit storm, But hold your horses. This is exactly the as the ar ak debate, Just easier to come to a resolution. The problem with these debates is that we diss the other system. So before you start trashing one of the guns, watch the video.   
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
Re: Mossberg Vs 870.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:01 PM »
what he said at 240

That being said. If I had my choice

I would take a Remington 870 WINGMASTER MAGNUM
I must emphasise the WINGMASTER MAGNUM part These are not made anymore and there is just something more smooth about them. Oh, yeah and they are built out of a SOLID billet of steel and not pieced together. No matter how awesome and reliable the mossberg or the express 870's are. If a 3" shell explodes in the receiver ( no likely but IF )
that shit is in your face. I don't have to worry about that so much in any of my Solid Steel receivers.

Two cents
RvR
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
what he said at 240

That being said. If I had my choice

I would take a Remington 870 WINGMASTER MAGNUM
I must emphasise the WINGMASTER MAGNUM part These are not made anymore and there is just something more smooth about them. Oh, yeah and they are built out of a SOLID billet of steel and not pieced together. No matter how awesome and reliable the mossberg or the express 870's are. If a 3" shell explodes in the receiver ( no likely but IF )
that shit is in your face. I don't have to worry about that so much in any of my Solid Steel receivers.

Two cents
RvR

correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all 870s are milled from a solid block of steel.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
The expresses are welded together I believe.

Standby you brought up doubt lol
Let me do some research
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=298193

soo... they're both one milled receiver. so much for all that noise.  :P

anyway, to address the OP, I never bought into the 870 vs. 500 debate. I've had a couple years' experience with the 870, and about 1yr experience with the 500 and both are great.

my 870 is a tighter fit. it doesn't rattle. one negative is that the break-in period was obnoxiously long. I had alot of extraction issues, not with the extractor itself but with shells stuck in the chamber. it took a while but that has cleared itself up and now it runs smooth as silk.

500 has never had a problem. the only two that I have experience with are both old. one is from the 90's and the other is from '75. the lack of a loading gate is nice but not a deal-breaker, it's rattly as hell but as long as it goes bang it's not a deal-breaker. the safety is better IMO but also not a deal-breaker.

both are great IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:39:29 PM by NOLA556 »

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
Not really  " So much for "
The express is still running polymer  internals.

IMO the only thing the Mossberg has over the 870 is that Damn Extra round. I believe its a 20" barrel it holds 9 rounds

The 870 with the mag tube extension can only hold 7+1 the mossy 8+1 

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:52:31 PM »

IMO the only thing the Mossberg has over the 870 is that Damn Extra round. I believe its a 20" barrel it holds 9 rounds

correction, polymer trigger housing or whatever the language in that thread was. point is the only plastic piece is the frame that all the guts are hooked into. I've never heard of any problems with it.

also, does anyone know of any ballistics data comparison between 2 3/4" and 3" shells? is there a ballistic difference at all? only reason for bringing it up is because the max capacity of any 870 or 500/590 shotgun (that I'm aware of) can only be achieved by running 2 3/4" shells. run 3" and you can only fit one less than the advertised capacity. in other words, my 870 is rated "7+1" but I can only achieve 6+1 because I run 3" shells. I'll gladly switch to 2 3/4" if anyone can show me that there's no ballistic difference.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:39:29 PM »
i have had a couple 870's, and 4 moss 500's

i dig em both, imo the Remington is higher quality
but they will both serve you well
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:55:16 PM »
Both are good guns without a doubt. My Mossberg was a steal though (not as in a theft was commited). That simple.
"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »
I think most guys know i prefered a mossberg prior to my owning an 870 and still do even now if your talking about a gun that you want out of the box the most practical and reliable it can be. but here are the pros and cons not mentioned in the video about both shotguns. this is with both guns brand new off the line TODAY.

Mossberg 500 pros

-more reliable out of the box
-More resistant to rust
-slightly lower price tag
-good safety ergonomics with factory stock (with the high thumb safety style)
-lighter overall design

Mossberg 500 Cons

-Ergonomics of the safety goes to shit when switched to a pistol grip stock (with the high thumb safety style)
-in order to switch to a slug you must pull a round out of the mag tube and surf it out of the ejection port.

870 express Pros

-Ergonomics of the safety remains the same with a pistol grip conversion
-you can do a slug changeover without extracting a round from the magtube

870 express Cons

-Rusts easily (matte black finnish)
-Tend to come straight from the factory with issues such as cheap ammo jamming the action closed
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:11 AM »
I think most guys know i prefered a mossberg prior to my owning an 870 and still do even now if your talking about a gun that you want out of the box the most practical and reliable it can be. but here are the pros and cons not mentioned in the video about both shotguns. this is with both guns brand new off the line TODAY.

Mossberg 500 pros

-more reliable out of the box
-More resistant to rust
-slightly lower price tag
-good safety ergonomics with factory stock (with the high thumb safety style)
-lighter overall design

Mossberg 500 Cons

-Ergonomics of the safety goes to shit when switched to a pistol grip stock (with the high thumb safety style)
-in order to switch to a slug you must pull a round out of the mag tube and surf it out of the ejection port.

870 express Pros

-Ergonomics of the safety remains the same with a pistol grip conversion
-you can do a slug changeover without extracting a round from the magtube

870 express Cons

-Rusts easily (matte black finnish)
-Tend to come straight from the factory with issues such as cheap ammo jamming the action closed

i can agree 100% with this.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:53 AM »

correction, polymer trigger housing or whatever the language in that thread was. point is the only plastic piece is the frame that all the guts are hooked into. I've never heard of any problems with it.

also, does anyone know of any ballistics data comparison between 2 3/4" and 3" shells? is there a ballistic difference at all? only reason for bringing it up is because the max capacity of any 870 or 500/590 shotgun (that I'm aware of) can only be achieved by running 2 3/4" shells. run 3" and you can only fit one less than the advertised capacity. in other words, my 870 is rated "7+1" but I can only achieve 6+1 because I run 3" shells. I'll gladly switch to 2 3/4" if anyone can show me that there's no ballistic difference.

my 870 express is a 18.5 in barrel so its 6+1 capacity and it still holds 6+1 with 3in shells. as far as ballistics between the two sizes obviously more projectiles means more damage. the cons of a 3in shell comes in the form of recoil and wallet injuries.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 12:16:42 AM »

my 870 express is a 18.5 in barrel so its 6+1 capacity and it still holds 6+1 with 3in shells. as far as ballistics between the two sizes obviously more projectiles means more damage. the cons of a 3in shell comes in the form of recoil and wallet injuries.

strange, I can do 7+1 in the 870 with 2 3/4 and 8+1 in the 500 but switch to 3" and you gotta take one shell away. physically can't put any more in.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »

strange, I can do 7+1 in the 870 with 2 3/4 and 8+1 in the 500 but switch to 3" and you gotta take one shell away. physically can't put any more in.

i see..well all 3'' shells arent created equally so perhaps yours are longer. the 3'' shells im reffering to are actually 2 3/4 shells that measure out to 3'' so perhaps some or most actual 3'' shells measure out beyond 3''. i cant really comment because i dont have any 3'' shells to measure.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »

perhaps yours are longer.

yes.... yes...  :P

Offline v0dka

• Firefigher EMT-P
  • Senior Prepper
  • flecktastic!!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »

i see..well all 3'' shells arent created equally so perhaps yours are longer. the 3'' shells im reffering to are actually 2 3/4 shells that measure out to 3'' so perhaps some or most actual 3'' shells measure out beyond 3''. i cant really comment because i dont have any 3'' shells to measure.
If your talking about the noble police loads with 12 pellets of 00 they are 2 3/4. They have a roll crimp on them which allows it to be a little longer.
sic luceat lux

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »

If your talking about the noble police loads with 12 pellets of 00 they are 2 3/4. They have a roll crimp on them which allows it to be a little longer.

actually im using Rio 00 Buck which also has a roll crimp so it ends up 3'' instead of 2 3/4.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Well, This is exactly what I wanted to see.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co Now I have just a little bit more info.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 11:00:10 AM »
I don't have anything except 3" right now so  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

I know barrel length matters as well. Don't forget that. Cause I almost bought the wrong Magtube extension.

One is for 18.5 the other is for 20 the other is for ect. ect.

I have an 18.5 with the mag tube extension its nearly flush, a little bit shorter than the barrel and I can hold 6+1 3" Remington #4 buck.

If you have a 20" barrel, I'm sure you can fit another round in, especially if its 2 3/4