Author Topic: M9 good?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
M9 good?
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »
I plan on getting a sidearm, But I don't know much about pistols. I really don't care what it is, I just want it to work. will a M9 do?
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: M9 good?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
Beretta 92's are great guns you really cant go wrong with one

just check out the trigger on it, that's why i didn't buy one

also if your gonna buy one you might as well buy the 92a1 version
same gun except it has a rail on the bottom and it can take both 17rd and 15rd magazines

Bursting bubbles since 2013

Colombo

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
Quality weapon, built like a swiss watch....

Of course that can be taken at least two very different ways :o
I'd recommend getting your paws on as many weapons as possible and deciding what fits and feels best for you before buying. Friends or a rental range nearby makes that easier and makes for a better informed and personal decision.

backwoodsboy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
If i could choose sidearms all over again i would choose a m9, 1911, or a 357 mag. i would like to get a m9 in the future, my brother carries one as a sidearm in the Marines and he says its a great shooting gun. hope this helps.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
my brother is in delta ranger recon seal team 6 and says buy a glock or s&w m&p. but no really play with a few sidearms and see what fits you best.

Bobruffles

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
my brother is in delta ranger recon seal team 6 and says buy a glock or s&w m&p. but no really play with a few sidearms and see what fits you best.

My brother is a super ninja operator and he shoots an HK

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »
My brother is a super ninja operator and he shoots an HK

Yeah, but their Customer Service still think that he sucks.  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m

Seriously, I've held a Glock, a Taurus, a S&W, a couple of different 1911s, a Ruger, a Keltec, a couple of different Sigs...they all feel different. Go hold them all, and shoot them if you can. Do your research on what caliber you most prefer, and that may further redirect your choices.  I will say that the 1911s felt great because of all that steel in my hand, but the Sigs fit my hand much better. I currently own a Sig SP2022 in 9mm, and it retails new for about $450 ($550 with night sights).

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
I have owned and sho many 92's over the last few years. By far my all time favorite full sze service pistol to date. So far on my current normal shooter I have 15,000 rounds through it. Not 1 malfuction to attribute to the gun. I have owned many in the 90 series line up, total of 9 seperate 90 series pistols. In all of them I had a total of 3 malfunctions. 2 WWB primers that would not set off. They would not fire in any gun though. Also 1 stove pipe. Was again using wwb, but also very heavy grease. I have also shot my current 92 over 1500 rounds with a broken firing pin. Functioned everytime. I do alot, alot of dry fire practice. This 92 was getting close to the 15K mark, and easily 50K+ dry fires most without any form of snap cap. I'm endlessly impressed with them. You really cant go wrong with any of them.
This is ofcourse provided you know what it is. A full sized duty style pistol. I dont have my ccw as of yet, however I know of many people who do conceal carry theirs on a daily basis. So this route can be done aswell. Just might not be the best choice for ccw
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:48:09 PM by themighty9mm »

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »
Hello all, RON L here

Hmm, an M-9 HUN? I think the sage advice many have given ya here is to try out many different sidearms and calibers and see whats "YOU"? I know the M-9 Design to be an "OPEN TOP" therefore weaker design than many! Series of M-9 Pistols failed in the military and I was witness to no less than 3 of 14 weapons all within the space of 2 years have a slide crack or a Frame seperation! That was something not seen near as often in LEO Model 92's and since? I will in the name of fairness say the weapon has some great things going for it! The site right out of the box first class, the pistol has a great feed system and will feed just about any 9MM with no jams or feed or eject, it's high capacity , mags are common and not too expensive, a Lot going for it! You must take the good with the bad and try it out to get what will serve ya best? Try them all, go and find a range with Rental weapons and then try them out, way cheaper than Buying them and you can see  what ya like and whats ya don't lie and all thats lost is the ammo and rental fee and it's a lot of fun!!! Don't take our opinion, form your own??? Best of Luck and let us know  what ya found out and what ya get and why, we love an end of story post, with pics and Range report as well?? LOL Good luck and happy shooting lets make 2012 a "Take a friend shooting year" and revitilize the sport!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:09:13 PM by RONSERESURPLUS »

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »
I love the M9 PLATFORM.

I personally think that the Taurus 92 is better alternative. The safeties are a plus for me ( on the PT92 ) , mags are cheaper & the firearm is just as reliable.

The open top allows for that thing to eat any type of ammo you can give it. High pressure, Low pressure, steel case, Reloads. That thing just does not stop.

That being said, The price you pay for its reliability is PMCS related. ( Preventive Maintenance & Care )

You take care of it, and it will take care of you.  I have about 2k through mine currently.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

1000meterstare

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »
Another 9mm you might want to consider is the CZ-75 full-size decock-only.  It is a superb pistol and is very durable and accurate.  It is basically a hi-power clone but also is double-action.  My buddy bought one a few months ago and I've had pistol-envy ever since... [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

1000meterstare

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
P.S.  My buddy did a torture test on his CZ-75 and it took over 500 rounds straight without cleaning for a failure to feed.  Basically what happened is the pistol got so dirty with the cheap crap he was firing through it the slide failed to go all the way forward and seat the bullet all the way in the chamber.  He tapped the slide forward and it fired.   

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
1000meter where you been dude? its been too long
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »
Another 9mm you might want to consider is the CZ-75 full-size decock-only.  It is a superb pistol and is very durable and accurate.  It is basically a hi-power clone but also is double-action.  My buddy bought one a few months ago and I've had pistol-envy ever since...

Yeah, at the Christmas party at my daughters house my ex wife's husband said,  "Come out to the car I want to show you my new toy."  He had one with a compensator on the front and a halo sight attached.  He said he wants to try and get into competition shooting and from what he's read they are all the rage.  Every year for the last couple of years he shows up with another fancy gun.

He seems to have great taste in guns and poor taste in........    Well, never mind. 

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

1000meterstare

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
Hey Redneck!  Good to see you back.  Sorry I been busy lately, found out I need a hip replacement at the tender age of 42.  Apparently all those YEARS of jumping out of planes in the Army wasn't good for me.

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
All this talk about slide speration and what not. There was a few of them that did... In the 80's. It was mostly due to over pressured ammunition. he slide seperating from the frame was corrected with the FS model. The FS uses a larger hammer pin, ensuring that even if the slide cracks and can't seperate from the frame. Though I have seen many 92's go over 100,000 rounds, still on the same slide

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
The 92 series are good guns, honking big and heavy.

I don't see the point in a metal framed pistol you actually intend to carry and use.  If I had some obscure resistance to modern materials I would go with a CZ.

My suggestions to people who want a service type pistol Glock or M&P.

But the suggestion to try out as many as you can is always sound.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:44:05 AM by Currahee »
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I got a buddy with some glocks, and I'll see how I like them.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I got a buddy with some glocks, and I'll see how I like them.

Glocks

Finest Pistol Hand grenade Since 1982
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »
Reaver that picture is comparable to a picture of a sasquatch...very rare and unbelievable even when seen.  :D
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Reaver that picture is comparable to a picture of a sasquatch...very rare and unbelievable even when seen.  :D

8)
you don't believe in the squatch?

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 10:28:59 PM »

8)
I'm 1/4 'squatch' on my dad's side.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »

8)

Shit all jokes aside.
The skunk ape is a serious threat where I'm going.

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »

8)

Shit all jokes aside.
The skunk ape is a serious threat where I'm going.

I'm sure the stank that comes from reaver will keep any ape away.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
You can't give your self a burn on someone else...  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

YoU FaiL , FaiLuRe ,EpiC FaiL!!