Author Topic: Just Thinking, Testing The Waters, For A LONG Range Rifle  (Read 178 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Just Thinking, Testing The Waters, For A LONG Range Rifle
« on: December 01, 2022, 12:22:25 PM »
Yeah it is that time of the year that my mind wanders and i start looking to add a long gun to my safe. Currently, the Tikka T3x TACT A1 TF1T632B1B5B rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor has perked my interest. This doesn't mean I will end up with THAT rifle though.

What I am looking for is...

1) A reach out there caliber. 6.5 Creedmoor will do that. I hit a gong located at 1,700- meters with that
    caliber. The drawback is availability of the round but from what I have read it is easy to reload and has no
    quirks.
2) I want a rifle that has the ability to adjust the pull and comb depending on the season. Summer, no coat or
    layers and winter, you will have multiple layers.
3) Minimal recoil. Minimal recoil so I can go with a lighter rifle. I ain't getting any younger you know.
4) Obviously, threaded barrel for a suppressor.
5) Detachable magazine that can hold up to 10-rounds.

Any input from experience?

:coffeeNews:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
Re: Just Thinking, Testing The Waters, For A LONG Range Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 03:02:31 PM »
JM - some questions:
How long of a barrel are you willing to carry? Shorter barrel reduces your yardage.
Will you keep the suppressor attached or remove it? Makes a difference on point of impact change, a stiffer barrel resists POI change.
Total weight of rifle with scope?
Folding stock or not?
Bolt action or semi?
You going to hunt with it, and are their cartridge limits for hunting? Example of minimum deer caliber .24" or larger.
I ask these because I have just about every kind of rifle, some for short distance, some for long. I only have access to a range with up to 600 yard max. Can be difficult to get time on and I seldom shoot a barrett 107 anymore because it is a waste of time to shoot at 100-200 yards with it.
If you have steady access to longer distances, then you are a lucky man.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:14:12 PM »
My answers DM in bold italic

How long of a barrel are you willing to carry? Shorter barrel reduces your yardage.
I am open it all depends on weight at the end of the day. I was thinking around 20"

Will you keep the suppressor attached or remove it? Makes a difference on point of impact change, a stiffer barrel resists POI change.
Probably remove it when not in use. Very good point at change of POI.

Total weight of rifle with scope?
Under 10LB's would be best.

Folding stock or not?
Prefer not.

Bolt action or semi?
I have a reach out there .308 auto.

You going to hunt with it, and are their cartridge limits for hunting? Example of minimum deer caliber .24" or larger.
I will hunt with it. 2 legged and 4 legged critters.

I ask these because I have just about every kind of rifle, some for short distance, some for long. I only have access to a range with up to 600 yard max. Can be difficult to get time on and I seldom shoot a barrett 107 anymore because it is a waste of time to shoot at 100-200 yards with it.
If you have steady access to longer distances, then you are a lucky man.

My long range max where I live is ~800 yards.

Hope that clears things up  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 07:36:48 PM »
Johny

As you know I am a fan of the 6.5CM. To be honest I have not had any trouble finding ammo recently, actually selection has been pretty decent.  There is a decent range of hunting, match and "plinking" ammo available from decent manufacturers.

The 2 guns that are worth looking at are Tikka T3x and the Bergara B14. They each have a couple of variants. I personally prefer the Bergara B14 HMR as it is well packaged and is in the R700 pattern.  This allows for a wide variety of reasonably priced accessories.  The Tikka is a very good gun, I just lean toward the Bergara. Either way they are packaged well and just need decent glass to do a decent job of what you are looking for.

I currently shoot a Bergara B14 in a KRG Chassis with a Leupold Mk5HD 5-25x glass. It has a 22" barrel. I have had great results out to 1800yds.  It shoots well with a variety of different bullets though I do prefer the Hornady ELDm 144gr, ELDx 143gr or Berger Hybrid 140gr.

Chris

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 09:28:02 PM »
Question-- how much body armor will that 6.5 penetrate at 1200 yards?  1000?

Start thinking about a .338.

Nemo
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:31:52 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 09:29:29 PM »
Barrett Model 99 in .50 BMG. 

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 08:51:24 AM »
With al due respect for the .338 Lapua and .50 BMG , they are not sensible rounds for a general purpose role.

First, they are basically useless at shorter ranges for harvesting small to medium game.  The 6.5CM is definitely valuable for that as well as its "longer" ranger capabilities. Also these rifles themselves are heavy and unwieldy for use as a hunting rifle.
    Second, ammunition is quite expensive and even less readily available.
    Third, how good are you at those extreme long ranges with said rifles to be able to put the rounds exactly where you need them. It requires significant amount of training with that gun which falls into the previous. Being able to PID, range UKD targets, managing wind, know the dope for your rifle with the specific ammo you are shooting.  These are all things you can only do by shooting....alot.....which requires a lot of ammo. Of course that is if you truly want to be proficient with the rifle.  It is definitely a perishable skill.
    Fourth,  What are the actual ranges that you have to be engaging out to.  Do you really have a 1200 yd plus area where you can PID the target before sending that round.  In reality are you much, much better off with a round that has good performance and repeatable results  at say 800-1000yds.  That is much more likely.

I am not against extreme long range rounds at all.  If that was the question I would have suggested the 300PRC.  It is a magnum round that shoots heavy for caliber bullets with very high BC.  The bullet stays supersonic out to approx 1900-2000yds, has better terminal performance than the 300WinMag and is significantly cheaper to shoot than the .338 or .50.  I am currently building one on a Defiance action with a Bartlein Barrel.

Chris

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:01:39 AM by CJS06 »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 09:16:55 AM »
Great stuff gentlemen.

Chris, have you been out to Wyoming or Utah to do some long range shooting of late?

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 09:51:41 AM »
Johny

Yeah, that is what spurred the 300PRC bug.  Recently I was in Teasdale, UT then Raton,NM.  I have also been spending significant time up in Northern NH at Ridgeline.  It doesnt have the 2000yd access as out west, but they get out to 1400yds with lots of options out to 1200 in some very tricky winds. The topography and regular winds (right off the west side of Mt Washington)make it a very challenging place.

The pool of long range knowledge up at Ridgeline is second to none.  Multiple top 5 finishes in the US Army Intl Sniper Comp including a 1st, A king of the 2 Mile win, SOCOM Sniper Comp multiple wins, Marine Scout Snipers and a stupid number of deployments.

Chris

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »
 :thumbsUp: Chris!