Author Topic: Interesting Range Drill  (Read 555 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Interesting Range Drill
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
22422 with transition drill in middle.  I will be working it some.

Nemo

http://blog.defenderoutdoors.com/defender-training-drills-22422/
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Interesting Range Drill
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »
At what distance? I did not read or hear. Thx
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
What you set for yourself?  Looks in the 7-10 range.  Figuring 3 "attackers" so they have to be fairly close.

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »
Start at 5-7yds handgun (7-10yds carbine).  Make sure you are getting all A zone hits. Once you are consistently all A zone and you times are coming down then go to all head shots (T Box). Again once you have those consistently then move your distances out by 5-7 more yds and repeat. 

Once you have been working the base drill a while start to throw in reloads/transitions at as close to random points in the drill as you can accomplish. Do this by randomly loading a bunch of mags to different amounts. Put them al in a box/bag and shake them around. Randomly pic them out and use them in whatever order you pick them.  Do this with both your primary and handgun if you are training transitions. 

Also you can add to the drill. 22422 becomes the 44844.  2 body-2 head/2 body-2 head/4 body-4 head/2 body-2 head/ 2 body- 2 head.   Also as you work farther away move the targets farther apart as well. This obviously works better outdoor.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:21:08 PM by CJS06 »

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »
You first paragraph is what I had been thinking.  I also had been figuring (when range conditions permit) go from shooting start in middle of left and center targets over to shooting position of middle of center and right targets.  Rather than a static position of front of center target. 

To try to make myself remember to not fall down.  And just in case someone out there does not know-- Falling down hurts.  Falling down is bad.  Do not fall down.

Nemo
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:58:24 PM by Nemo »

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:57:01 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
There you go. Haley loves that drill. Uses it in a bunch of his carbine classes.  He likes to use the shot timer with the drill. That stupid little beep helps add a ton of stress.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:51:20 PM by CJS06 »

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
Sounds like a interesting  drill thanks for linking it..  :bravo:
I may try it.

Except its  I believe its a must to integrate some movement.
Bad guys will be shooting at you.

Standing still is poison.

Also about the transitioning..
I know it looks good but.. I am already engaging with a carbine there is no reason to go to a secondary short of catastrophic failure that can't be fixed via Tap Rack bang.

Which I have never experienced in the past 30,000 rounds of shooting.

Much more likely I might run out of Ammo.
And we are more likely to run out of Ammo when we hang the weight/bulk of three 30 rd mags on you.. and its not 3 mags but a "back-up"

A lot of the mainstream training is IMHO sub optimal or taken without context from specific TTPs of specific organizations.
For example when your rifle goes down for  a catastrophic failure (and they are not real common.. out of ammo much more likely) "transitioning" to handgun while still standing around is ONLY a viable TTP when you have tactical superiority..
Like say you have night vision and they dont (and its night) or you are a SWAT team facing some stoned teens with Glock 19s.

Standing around in the open does not pass the common sense test.
When I shoot I usually move after every pair.
Sometimes to to kneeling,prone etc.

If my primary stops for any reason I will move behind cover (where I really should be already if at all possible) then reload or fix my malfunction.

They are all better options except for a very tiny slice of operations.
Those slices do happen.. but I believe for our application they are much less likely than running dry + so doing what I need to keep my primary into the fight is what I will do rather than employ a pistol (which is pretty ineffective at all but the closest ranges anyway)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:22:22 PM by Erick »
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?