Author Topic: Full Upper  (Read 532 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Full Upper
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:41:47 PM »
Good price?  Good product?  16" barrel with upper and accessories, priced at $219.99.

Nemo

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/221905/ar-stoner-ar-15-a3-upper-receiver-assembly-556x45mm-nato-16-barrel
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
Re: Full Upper
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:23:46 AM »
It doesn't specify whether its chromed or at least nitrided (or melonited etc etc... different names exist for same thing)
That concerns me.

Because marketing makes a point of mentioning these things.

They seem to make a point its "phosphated" that makes me think maybe thats all the coating they have and thats not enough for anything but a very casual plinker.
It also doesnt specify which grade steel ( which almost certainly means the lowest acceptable grade for commercial spec ARs: 4140 CM steel)

I also prefer a flat front gasblock w/o the fixed traditional "A" sight..but thats just me and is not really a deficit for most.

It does appears to be a Carbine gas system.. not a huge deficit... but for a 16 inch barrel a mid lenght gas is best practices for a good tune of the gas system.

there are better alternatives:

I own a couple of these:
https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_215_27-5.56/223%20AR-15%20Upper%20Assemblies-16%22%205.56%20Socom%201/9%20Mid-length%20Upper%2012%22%20HD%20QuadRail%20Upper

-4150 CMV steel
-barrel Not compromised by the gov't profile "kink"
-mid lenght gas
-Melonited... ok not as good as chromed.. but neither is that "stoner".. . and still at least they have a hardened coating. and even some high dollar rifles are "only" melonited ..
-No useless bayonet lug that just adds weight and a spot for branches and the like to hang up on.
-Also I prefer the now somewhat old school Quadrail.. but thats just me.. but then again this rail IS free floated and thats a clear better spec also.

In summary the hardened Arms unit is head and shoulders above the linked Stoner unit.
Not even close  :dance:

I recommend not buying the midway unit and buying the hardened arms unit.

Hardened Arms unit does not include a BCG and CH which makes it more expensive..
But CHs are nearly free these days... there is always a guy in our circle of friends who upgraded a couple of his rifles to BCM mediums.. so has spare CHs
BCGs are also solidly on sale.
Check here: https://www.righttobear.com/AO-Precision-Phosphate-Bolt-Carrier-Group-158-HP-p/aom16-hpt-mpi.htm
or this for a little curb appeal.. (and easier clean and some theoretical advantages when it comes to low lube conditions.. but mostly curb appeal)
https://www.righttobear.com/Toolcraft-Nickel-Boron-Carrier-Group-MPI-Bolt-p/tooauto-010.htm

both these BCGs are speced fairly decent.. I know nothing about the specs in the Midway unit.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:33:01 AM by Erick »
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:21:58 AM »
Thats what I needed to know.

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
There are tons of "BIG" sales going on right now.  To echo some of what Eric said, if you are going with a 16" definitely go mid length gas. Also make sure that the barrel is melonite (nitride) or chrome lined.....or Stainless Steel.  I would not go with that AR Stoner unit that you posted. It is actually substandard in a number of areas including bolt/bcg material and barrel.

A couple more decent priced deals.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-e-complete-upper-16-5-56-mid-length-barrel-15-m-lok-gen-2-handguard-and-charging-handle-anodized-black-bf18

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-ENHANCED-Light-Weight-Upp-p/bcm-urg-mid-16-bfh-elw-mcmr-13.htm

Chris

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »
But that $220 price with BCG goes a long way against an upper thats $4-600.

Nemo

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 06:37:09 PM »
   The nice thing about the AR platform is that you can mix and match components.  Buy what you can afford now, and then purchase upgraded components when you can afford them.  When I first started with AR's I went cheap, and I've been slowly accumulating upgraded components.  In the end, I have a top end firearm and enough leftover components for a midrange rifle.  An AR can really be a pay as you go firearm.  As your tastes change and your knowledge increases, you'll be changing parts.

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »
   The nice thing about the AR platform is that you can mix and match components.  Buy what you can afford now, and then purchase upgraded components when you can afford them.  When I first started with AR's I went cheap, and I've been slowly accumulating upgraded components.  In the end, I have a top end firearm and enough leftover components for a midrange rifle.  An AR can really be a pay as you go firearm.  As your tastes change and your knowledge increases, you'll be changing parts.
What you said is fundamentally correct.

I want to caveat it though that starting out with a substandard barrel (and therefore chamber) will compromise the gun in a way thats not an easy/cheap correction in the future
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »
I have a DPMS kit that came with everything but a stripped lower.  I was looking for a second and saw that.  Price gave me some questions though.

The old-- You get what you pay for-- is accurate.

Nemo