Author Topic: Building a 1911...  (Read 1414 times)

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Building a 1911...
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
I get Shotgun News, and am sorely tempted to get a 1911 kit from SARCO. Seems to me would be a good learning experience and economical way to get a 1911 with all the features I want, and not the ones I don't. Anyone build a 1911? How much fitting is required on some of this sort of thing? My financial situation is not really allowing for a brand new Kimber or whatever. Thoughts?

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
Re: Building a 1911...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
I'm skeptical judging from their prices. Their competitors drive up the price a good amount, but the quality looks a lot more solid. I've read a few good and bad things about SARCO's kits too. What kind of budget are you playing with?
"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
I don't have a overall budget, just buying the best parts that I can afford at any given time. What appeals to me is learning to build one from the ground up. Have also heard good and not so good things about the Sarco kits.

Colombo

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:19:44 PM »
An entertaining bit of reading for you on this subject and the sarco kit.
http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/index.html

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
If it were my money I'd start here. http://www.fusionfirearms.com/
I don't doubt the SARCO would work, but from what I'm reading, not very well. Barrels seem to be crap and customer service from the sounds of it is shady to say the least. For $200 bucks though I say you get what you pay for.
Andrew Jackson

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

:o Phuck that.
Andrew Jackson

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »

I retract my initial post.  :o

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »
Dident we just go over this  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at Well if you do it make sure you do a good job.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
I wouldn't even attempt this without some kind of training.  Don't get me wrong, I like kits and tinkering with stuff.  But to me, this kind of falls into the same category as the "build your own airplane" kits.  I'd be perfectly happy to build one for someone else, but not one I was actually going to sit in and fly a thousand feet off the ground in.

Some things are better left to other people who know what the phuck they're doing.  That's why we have a society where people specialize in certain things.  Of course, if a collapse did occur you would have to develop the skill set of a jack of all trades.  But I still won't be going up in the plane that the guy two streets over built in his backyard.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Veritas

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
Before you start that project, I'd advise that you watch the Wilson Combat Gunsmithing DVD.  That will give you a good idea of what you're up against.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but my Kalashnikov will hurt you.

"Don't wish ill for your enemy, plan it."

Offline RONSERESURPLUS

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
HELLO ALL RON L HERE

I know many that have Built Kits for AR, AK and others, If your familuar with 1911a1 this might not be too hard, but if not yes by all means seek help! U get what ya pay for and what You know how to do know and do build? Nuff said?? LOL

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »
Some things are better left to other people who know what the phuck they're doing.  That's why we have a society where people specialize in certain things.

and just how the fuck you think they learned how to do things......

nothing is hard its all in how much effort you put forth in learning how to do shit
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
Some things are better left to other people who know what the phuck they're doing.  That's why we have a society where people specialize in certain things.

nothing is hard its all in how much effort you put forth in learning how to do shit

Does that apply to brain surgery as well?  You're talking about building something that is supposed to contain a controlled explosion.  I think getting some knowledge before attempting it is a good idea.

Perhaps you missed this part: 

I wouldn't even attempt this without some kind of training.

Education is a wonderful thing.  I'm sure the 2nd or 3rd gun built would be better than the first. 

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

UnBroken

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
I like most of us on here grew up with the good ol 1911. I have had my share of them. This is a project I wouldn't mind undertaking

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:40:47 AM »
I've assembled a couple of AR lower and done some work inside of a 870 but I am still a little nervious about building my own 1911.

That said "Go at it boldly, and you'll find unexpected forces closing round you and coming to your aid."

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »

Does that apply to brain surgery as well?  You're talking about building something that is supposed to contain a controlled explosion.  I think getting some knowledge before attempting it is a good idea.

maybe i come from a different background then most..........

but doing shit like this is no more difficult then learning to tie your shoes
its a step by step process, go slow and do it right
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:42:41 PM by mountainredneck2051 »
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »

maybe i come from a different background then most..........

but doing shit like this is no more difficult then learning to tie your shoes
its a step by step process, go slow and do it right

Hey, I've got reservations about it, but who the hell listens to me or cares what I think about it?  If someone's hell bent, I say go do it.  Truth is, in a total collapse scenario there are a lot of people with complicated guns out there who might trade for gunsmith services.  So it might be something worth learning.  Or if you need other guns and can only afford old worn out artillery that you can repair or use for barter.

I've already got all the guns I'm going to need and they are all kiss so they'll last for decades.  Even the two semi auto pistols are simple which is why I chose them.  The only change I'm thinking of making is putting a pistol grip on an aluminum riot gun.  If I ever find myself needing more firearms I'm sure there will be plenty abandoned or laying around.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:59:33 PM by sledge »

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:13 PM »
Im pleasantly surprised there hasn't been a "Hurr Durr buy a Glock" comment by now.

Colombo

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
1911 is a fine weapon and even though it has maybe a bit more skill and knowledge required for building and troubleshooting the end result is a valuable skill and a bit of deserved pride.

Go for it but don't think it's easy.

Offline gapatriot

• Committed prepper
    • Homefront defense
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
I say go for it, its not like your going to be finishing the frame to build it! With an off the shelf frame its mostly fitting.

1000meterstare

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
I'd go with a Remington R1911.  It's GI WWI old-school style, but with custom-tuned interal goodies like a match-grade barrel.  Heard nothing but good things.   [img]http://bestsmileys.com/ar