Author Topic: B.O.B.s/Go bag/survival bag  (Read 815 times)

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
B.O.B.s/Go bag/survival bag
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »
What are you opinions on them?

Myself I plan on staying put as long as I can. However looking at my current preps I can easily see that much more than 3 weeks to a month and I'd be in very very sorry shape. Also knowing friends and family after the same time period or less would be in equal if not worse shape.  So I have decided to start putting together a bug out bag system. A system with several bags to it. All light enough I can carry them for several miles+ fairly comfortably. The system for me is to include a bug out bag/go bag. Currently a medium A.L.I.C.E pack. With a somewhat minamalistic approach, and a weaopns bag. The go bag will include basic needs implaments along with things that, location dependant would be difficult to reproduce in any sort of timly fashion (cord, blades ect), and will be a seasonal bag. To be changed out according to the current season. Along with the go bag, a weapons bag will be included. This will contain some ammunition, spare mags, key spare gun parts, along with simple installation tools, oil, cleaning kit, "war belt"/vest/ whatever I opt to go with, ect. Currently using a very few, very simple mag holders and pockets. And again with the weapons bag will inclue a even far more simple "survival sysem". I'm looking to keep the total weight at 40lbs or ideally closer to 30lbs. I'm looking at it as a supplumental insurance plan to my current plan. Like I said ths would be far and away my first option by a long shot. But I can easily (given some situations) see a very real need for a life style that can fit into a back pack. The potential on my area being far to hostile to sustain life, perhaps a direct attack to would force me/my family out. Maybe a simple fire that could not be controlled. There are a host of simple reason one could come up with. When I say a lifestyle that could fit into a pack. I do not by any means 100% living out of a bag indefinatly. But more hobo it up untill I could find a area such as an abondoned building or even perhaps a wooded area to call current home. I realize the very real potential disasterous concequnces of bugging out even with a group. However like I said this would be a absolute last resort.

So what are yalls opinions on them? Do you have them?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:10:54 AM by themighty9mm »

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: B.O.B.s/Go bag/survival bag
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:22:10 AM »
I'd consider a rucksack for a B.O.B., something like a LARGE ALICE PACK. Your gonna have to carry alot of crap. Carrying stuff is going to suck. Ive consider transforming a garden utility cart into a tow trailer that you pull like a wheeled sled. Just a thought.

Youll need alot of food to get you buy while your setting things up and lots of 22lr!!! So I wouldn't recommend waiting till your food supplies are very low before bugging out. I suggest buying a book on the edible plants in your state and checking them out now before you make a mistake like the kid in  "INTO THE WILD".

I think you'll need tools. Saws, axes, E-tool.

I highly recommed you watch film DEFIANCE and take notes! That was a real bugout situation and research the Beliski partisans. They were Polish Jews who hid in the forests from the Nazis throughout the war. Imagine how easy things would have been for them if they were smart like you and planned ahead?

I'll think of more later.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline themighty9mm

• Novice Prepper
Re: B.O.B.s/Go bag/survival bag
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
I am aware of most of the tools I need. I am also aware of my own knowledge and capabilities in the woods. Many of the things I need to carry I have the knoweldge or am learning to reproduce in the woods. Both through doing and reading. All the areas I would even consider going to I am aware of what is there and what is not. Along the way I have taken notes of natural resources leading to the select few locations I would consider going to. The most difficult things to reproduce, are my biggest concerns. Things such as cordage, blades, quick shelter/rain protection, and a handfull of other items. I'm looking at it as of now somewhat like a bushcraft bag with a bit more capabilities. I cant see going with a bag much larger than a medium alice. I'm no body builder and hug amounts of weight will be simply unrealistic for me to still be somewhat mobile. If a vehicle is a option obviously things change. For now though I'm thinking EMP style, going out on foot. I have spent many days in the woods, and while I am far from a true woodsman. I do know a few things about trapping game, and some wild edibles. I also knowhow and have practiced a good variety of very minimal fire making along with shelter. Any location I go to I have taken note of water loacations and the terrain there and around the area. I wasnt so much asking what I will need or how to go about it. Even before any real prepping I have thought about it, along with trying most of it. Pretty much what happened is I watched one to many survival shows and decided I can do that. Turns out it took more practice than just thinking about it. While I am far from mastering any of it. I now do indeed know I can do many of these things I would have to.
Like I said I wasnt asking so much what I need. Just looking for what others are doing, if anything at all