Author Topic: What would you do with excess compost before moving?  (Read 961 times)

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
What would you do with excess compost before moving?
« on: May 22, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »
Hey guys, it's been a while...I haven't been around lately, been tied up with some medical shit, but it's good to be back!

Wanted to bounce a question off all of you...I have a massive quantity of compost, and more piles up every day thanks to a number of rabbits we raise for meat (just under 40 last time I counted), but we will be moving within the next 12 months so I'm debating what to do with it.

The volume already exceeds what I can use in the gardens, and for obvious reasons, I'm not adding additional gardens. It seems stupid to throw it all away, so I'm thinking about buying a few garbage cans and tossing it in so it can be transported when the time comes.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: What would you do with excess compost before moving?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
If your able to take it with you, why not. Will give you a head start at your new place.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:46:39 AM »
Jeremy, I hope all is well with you and your family as you go through your "medical shit." Take it slow and easy.

Just a few thoughts.

If you post it on Craigs list for a minimal price or free it will be gone in a few weekends. This will get the problem out of your hare  ;) and someone will also benefit from your labors and generosity. Remember, as the time approaches for you leaving, compost will continue to accumulate.

If you are set on taking it with you; pile it up and turn the mound every couple of weeks (If you can). When you move rent a open trailer from U-Haul and take it with ya'.

Good to have you back!  :fuckYeah:

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:02:15 AM »
Jeremy, I hope all is well with you and your family as you go through your "medical shit." Take it slow and easy.

Thanks!  :)

Yeah, I definitely plan to take it with me, just not sure of the best way to contain/transport it. The cheap garbage cans (plastic, 32 gallon) are around $15-$30 bucks, but I imagine it will take quite a few of them...especially considering the additional compost that will build up over the next year. Any thoughts on a better way to approach that?

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »
How long do you have to move?  If you only have one weekend to transfer households, that could be problematic.  But if you have a month to move you could take a load or two every day - that would limit the number of trash cans or what have you that you need to buy.

If it were me, I'd probably rent a trailer, put down some tarps and try to get as much of it moved in one trip as possible. 
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
I agree with wellie...A trailer is the way I would approach it.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
If I was moving across town I would rent Home Despot's truck for $19 an hour and call in all the favors to get it shoveled in and out. If I was going further or had pack it with my other belongings I would look for 55g steel drums with full lids to put it in. Down here they sell for $10-$15 each and should be fairly easy to move with a toe dolly. If I went that way I would also pick up a roll of drum liner trash bags so I didn't have to worry about the barrel's contents stinking up my stuff.

That said, you can usually buy a fairly nice trailer that tows well behind a modest truck for less than $1k and its usefulness to you will be beyond measure.

You could always offer it up to the local garden club or community garden too if you need it gone.

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »
Yeah, about 12 months out...but the Uhaul+tarp sounds like the way to go. Thanks, all!  :thumbsUp: