Author Topic: Slow Cooker Beef Vegetable Soup  (Read 1539 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Slow Cooker Beef Vegetable Soup
« on: October 18, 2021, 10:07:02 AM »
My small MAG group met yesterday for a meeting and I made a simple meal - Slow cooker, beef vegetable soup. Here is my version of the recipe.

Serves 6

Ingredients

2, Lbs chuck, 1/2-3/4" cubed or, I used two shank bones with meat. Throw both shanks into the mixture and at the 5-hour
    mark, I pulled the shanks out and cut the meat from the bone and throw meat, bone back, and marrow from the shank back
    into the soup.
1, Can corn (15-oz can)
1, Can green beans (15-oz can)
1, Can carrots (15-oz can)
1, Can crushed tomatoes (28-oz)
4, Toes of garlic minced
2, cups of 1/2" cubed potatoes, I used red or Yukon Gold potatoes
1, Sweet onion cubed
1, cup white wine. I use a chardonnay
2, Tbsp of Sriracha hot chili sauce
- , Salt and pepper to taste
- , Beef broth
1, Envelope onion soup mix*

Directions

Empty water from the three cans of veggies into a measuring cup. Put veggies, crushed tomatoes, wine, sweet onion, envelope of onion soup mix, garlic, and meat into the slow cooker. The water from the cans of veggies in the measuring cup make note of how much liquid and throw half away and replace with beef broth. So, if you had 18-oz of veggie water, throw away 9-oz of water and bring back to 18-oz using the beef broth. Put top back on slow cooker and cook for 8-hours. At around the 5-hour mark taste the soup and add salt, pepper, and chili sauce to taste. I pull the meat shanks at this time and cool a bit enough to handle. I chop up the meat and remove the marrow from the bone. Put all back into the slow cooker. Also, if you want more broth, just add any beef broth left over from the open can.

Cook for 8-hours.

Serve with bread and butter and a nice Syrah red.

* = One of our guests is gluten intolerant so, I added an extra sweet onion instead of using the onion soup mix packet as
      there is wheat/soy in the packet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGW0h80gKW4
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 10:00:16 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Slow Cooker Beef Vegetable Soup
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 12:08:10 PM »
I have some good friends coming over tomorrow. One of my guests just had some of her teeth removed and is being fit with a plate. I thought this recipe might be 'just the thing' to raise her spirits.

I will throw ingredients into the bread machine around 1300 hrs. and make a loaf of rye bread. Bread will be accompanied with butter and room temp Roquefort cheese.

Top it all off with a nice Merlot.

When I made pies for Thanksgiving this year, I made extra and froze them. My question to the group is: Should I served an apple or chiffon pumpkin pie? 

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 03:38:14 PM »
Go with the apple.  Trash the Chiffon. 

Anytime you do anything to punkypie other than basic natural its poison I say, PISON.  Smearing some good whipped cream on top is acceptable. 

Pison!

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Online RB in GA

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 04:06:23 PM »
Got to go with Nemo on this one: apple!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 05:00:22 PM »
LOL!  :cheers:

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »
Pison I say!  It'll kill you deader than a hammer. 

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 09:41:36 AM »
Well starting noonish we are supposed to receive 10-12" of snow over 24-hrs this weekend. We will see.  :popcorn:

Anyway, I thought that this would be a good recipe to throw into the slow cooker for tonight. It is easy and after cooking it stays warm on the back of the stove nicely if guests stop by. I will probably make some rye bread to go with it later this afternoon. I have a new crusty crust recipe to try out.

We often loose our power during any kind of weather event. So even if the soup is not done when that happens, I will just pop the ceramic pot out of the slow cooker and put into our propane oven at 325 degrees or set on our woodstove till done.

Bon Apetit!  :cheers:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 10:11:20 AM »
I remember days like that, and vegetable beef soup with homemade bread was the perfect meal for that kind of weather.  I always made mine on the wood stove, from start to finish.  I need to get some soup bones, just in case we get a day like that, but I haven't had to shovel snow in the five years I've been down south.  Don't miss shoveling snow...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 11:44:02 AM »
Jackalope,  :lmfao: :lmfao: :thumbsUp: :cheers:

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 09:08:14 PM »
Yup, the woodstove's the ticket - while heating the home, it doubles as an ideal hot plate, no utility bill for electricity or propane.     Makes the house smell good too.