Author Topic: SHTF Refridgerator  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
SHTF Refridgerator
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »
(Stumbled across this gem of info)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1108343/Amazing-solar-powered-fridge-invented-British-student-potting-shed-helps-poverty-stricken-Africans.html

Amazing solar-powered fridge invented by British student in a potting shed helps poverty-stricken Africans

It's the kind of simple yet brilliant invention that would have the tycoons of Dragons' Den salivating with excitement.

Not only is the fridge solar powered, it can also be built from household materials  -  making it ideal for the Third World.

Emily Cummins, 21, came up with the idea while working on a school project in her grandfather's potting shed. The fridge is now improving the lives of thousands of poverty-stricken Africans.

Emily Cummins holds the portable eco-fridge. It can keep perishable goods, such as milk or meat, cool for days at a temperature of around 6C
And Miss Cummins hopes to patent a more sophisticated portable model for use in transporting medical supplies around hot countries.

From the age of four, when she was given a hammer as a gift, Miss Cummins has spent much of her spare time making things out of ordinary materials.

She has won awards for a toothpaste squeezer for arthritis sufferers and for a water-carrying device, again for Third World use.

Her 'sustainable' fridge works through evaporation and can be used to keep perishable goods such as milk and meat cool for days.

Without using any power, temperatures stay at around 6c.
The fridge comprises two cylinders  -  one inside the other. The inner cylinder is made from metal but the outer cylinder can be made from anything to hand, including wood and plastic.

Miss Cummins, from Keighley, West Yorkshire, said: 'A fridge is something that people can't seem to live without.

'I wanted to keep it really simple and so I set about researching how we cooled things years ago. The simplest method of cooling something could be seen when you look at how we cool biologically  -  through sweating or evaporation.

'That idea led me to the design and the fridge was born.

After her A-levels she spent five months of her gap year in Africa, perfecting and demonstrating her product. In Namibia she became known as 'The Fridge Lady'. Miss Cummins returned to the UK to start a business management course at Leeds University.

She had been refused a place on an engineering course because, to her dismay, she didn't have the correct qualifications.

Last year she met the Queen at Buckingham Palace after being invited to a prestigious women in business event.

"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: SHTF Refridgerator
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:58:21 PM »
You can do the same thing with ceramic pots

http://www.theinnovationdiaries.com/709/zeer-pot/

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:31:29 PM »
last name is cummins, ofcourse she's gonna come up with something cool
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »
You can do the same thing with ceramic pots

http://www.theinnovationdiaries.com/709/zeer-pot/

yea, correct me if I'm wrong, but ms. cummins didn't come up with the idea, it's been in use for a long time...
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »
It is not a new idea Nola, nor is it endorsed by an ok looking English bird but your produce will last longer.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:21:14 AM »
Now if I can just figure out some way to adapt this principle to make post-apocalyptic air conditioning, I'll have it made. 8)
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »
Live in the pot?

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
I think either Theroadwarri0r, survivalsummary, or ryanjcus should how they made an ice chest airconditioner. Im sure by combining the two you can get something.

I wonder if she accidentally came across something that had been around for along time without knowing it, or just thought screw it and stole the idea. :-\

I think having a metal made one is a good idea though. It would be more durable than ceramic. The flipside of course would be how much of a problem would rust be?
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
think this would work on a much larger scale say a 55gal drum?

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
think this would work on a much larger scale say a 55gal drum?

I don't see why it couldn't get scaled up Chesty. Dare to dream, take photos and write it up!  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
Now if I can just figure out some way to adapt this principle to make post-apocalyptic air conditioning, I'll have it made. 8)

I really wish I could recall where I saw it maybe it was FarmShow Magazine or MotherEarthNews.

They took 6" culvert pipe and ran it in loops under ground. Under the frost line the ground maintains a constant temp of 54/56 degrees, by piping air under ground and back you can cool on the cheap.