Author Topic: Post Your Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes & Stories  (Read 1306 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Post Your Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes & Stories
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:23:52 AM »
JohnyMac's Turkey Brine Recipe

* 3 C Coarse or pickling salt     * 3 Tbsp Sage
* 2 C Light Brown Sugar          * 6 Bay Leaves
* 3 Tbsp Tarragon                   * 3 Tbsp Rosemary
* 3 Tbsp Black Pepper             * 1 Orange
* 3 Tbsp Parsley
- All herbs are dry -

> In the pot you cook cobs of corn in put all of the above ingredients BUT the Orange.
> Fill pot 3/4 full with cold water and put on the stove - Medium heat.
> With a zester, remove the orange of the orange and add to the pot. Then cut the orange in eighths
   squeeze and throw into the pot.
> Slowly bring mixture up to 180 degrees or so - Stirring occasionally.
> Put pot in a cold spot and bring down to 45 degrees or less.
> Salt and pepper the inside and outside of your defrosted turkey. Put turkey breast down into a
   small cooler and add your cold brining solution. If there is not enough brine to cover the turkey add
   cold water till it does. If the turkey floats put a can of cranberry sauce on top of turkey to keep it
   submerged.
> Keep brine and turkey below 45 degrees by either putting the cooler outside or periodically adding
   ice cubes.
> Brine turkey for 12 - 24 hours before you cook it. I typically do 24 hours.

Enjoy!

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Post Your Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes & Stories
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:38:15 AM »
Grandma Kurz's Pumpkin Pie
Makes one pie

* 1C Canned Pumpkin     * 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
* 3/4C Sugar                 * 1/2C milk
* 3 Eggs                       * 1/2C Evaporated Milk
* 1 Tsp Cinnamon          * 1/2 Tsp Dry Ginger
* 1 pie shell

> In a bowel bowl combine: Pumpkin, Sugar, Cinnamon, Milk, Evap. Milk and Ginger.
> Separate eggs and put yokes in with pumpkin mixture. Mix yokes in well.
> In a separate bowel beat egg whites to stiff peak and then fold whites into pumpkin mixture. Don't
   worry about a few white lumps. Less stirring is better.
> Pour mixture into pie shell and sprinkle top with nutmeg.
> Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees using the bottom rack...
> Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees
> Bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees

Cool and enjoy!

PS: If you like coconut, put about 1/2" on the bottom of the pie shell before you add the pumpkin
     mixture. Yummm!   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:12:27 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:37:44 AM »
That pumpkin pie recipe sounds nice... but do I really have to combine the ingredients in a "bowel" before baking?  :lmfao:

"bowel : the long tube in the body that helps digest food and carries solid waste out of the body" ~ Merriam-Webster
:trolling:
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »
 :faint: You say tomatO and I say tomato  :lmfao:

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
Wellie's Sage & Walnut Stuffing (my own recipe - all measurements approximate)

1 stick of butter (8 tbsp)
2 bags of Martin's potato bread cubes (get at least a week in advance and let it go stale)
1 - 2 cups crushed walnuts (you want it small and chunky, not powdery)
2 tbsp dried sage
1 - 2 cups chopped celery

Make as much as "looks right" for the celery and walnuts.  I never really measure it, just fill up the bottom of my skillet.  Also, you can add chopped mushrooms to this and that's pretty good, too.  If you add mushrooms put it in the skillet at the same time as the walnuts and celery.  Also, I'd decrease the amount of celery and walnuts just a tich so you have the same amount of "additions" total.

Melt  butter in a *large* skillet.  (If your skillet isn't big enough to do it all at once, just put in half of each item.)  Once butter is melted add celery and walnuts to pan until celery is clear and walnuts toasted (a couple minutes, stirring frequently).  In a separate bowl mix sage and bread cubes (A brown paper bag is a good alternative, letting you shake it so the sage gets evenly distributed with the bread.)  Slowly add bread skillet stirring often to coat all the bread with the butter mixture. 

This usually gives me plenty of stuffing to put in the bird and to put in a dish to bake.  For the stuff going in the bird I like this method for ensuring food safety and still getting that awesome "cooked in the turkey" taste.  I bake the non-turkey-stuffed as my turkey is resting and I'm making the gravy.  It goes in the oven at a 350* oven for about 45 minutes.  I cover it the first 35 minutes with aluminum foil and take the foil off for the last 10 so you get a nicely browned and crisp top.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:01:03 AM by JohnyMac »
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
WOW! Great stuffing recipe Wellie!

Last night I was laying in bed figuring out what I have forgotten to buy when I thought of that cheese cloth & dressing trick. I haven't done it in years but my grandmother always used it. I will for sure this year!  :thumbsUp:

Now where did I put that cheese cloth? :-[

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »
Thanks!  Thanksgiving is a) my favorite holiday and b) the first meal I learned to cook.  Nothing like starting out big.  I will say Mr. WPW is a god among men because he never turned his nose up at anything I made, even in those first few years when practically everything was inedible.  Lumpy mashed potatoes, undercooked green beans, over cooked turkey, etc. :D 
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
I hear ya' Wellie. The first Thanksgiving MrsMac cooked once we were off the boat was a total disaster.

It was the first Thanksgiving that were were going to share with my in-laws in 20 years of being married. MrsMac was a bit nervous as it was the first Thanksgiving dinner she had cooked for her parents too.

They drove up from Philadelphia to RI. We had no furniture except a card table and four folding chairs. We did have pots, pans, dishes, etc. from the boat though.

Well while making the dressing my wife used a whole box of turkey seasoning rather than a tbsp. The turkey was overcooked as we cooked it in our new SS professional oven which had been installed earlier that week. As you know, they burn a bit hotter.  :o

As an appetizer we bought a # of cooked lobster meat. Well rather than just serving it chilled, MrsMac put it in a pan and fired up her professional stove and...You guest it. She turned $26- a # of lobster meat into bubble gum. Did I mention that professional stoves cook a bit hotter.  :facepalm:

Well looking back, it was one of the best Thanksgiving's we ever had as it was all about being with family. The food is important but the family is what makes it!  :thumbsUp: