Author Topic: Oats and unusual recipe  (Read 713 times)

chenmi

Oats and unusual recipe
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »
Oats are one of the cereal grains that are easy to grow, especially in northern, cooler areas with lower heat requirements and higher rain tolerance than wheat.  They are higher in protein than most at 12-24%.  Some varieties can be part of a gluten-free diet.  They can be used to brew beer as well.

Skerlie is a Scottish savory starch side dish made with rolled oats. I particularly like the concept because oats are easily grown and easily processed in our climate. It is fast, easy, one pan, adaptable to availability of ingredients and, with an appropriate garnish, I'd serve it to the queen.

2 cups rolled oats
fat/oil for sautéing
chopped onion (green, yellow, chives.....)
Salt
Herbs (optional: pepper, garlic or other to suit taste)
TBS liquid/water to suit palate

1. Heat fat and sauté onions and hard vegetables.
2. Add rolled oats and stir. May want to toast or brown a bit
3. Add water, cover and steam.   Taste and add more liquid to suit your taste.  Less is drier and chewy, more gets closer to oatmeal.
4. Season to taste with salt, pepper...
5. Serve hot as starch component of meal.

This recipe can also be adapted to include chopped cooked or raw meats, sausage, scrambled or chopped boiled eggs, fruits, spinach, chard, kale, chopped root vegetables and anything else you might add to fried rice, rice pilaf or couscous.

Bon appétit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:00:47 PM by chenmi »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Oats and unusual recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
FYI - You can also use rolled oats in lieu of bread crumbs. I like to put whole oats in a food processor and hit the chop (Pulse) button untill they are the ~ size of bread crumbs. Make a interesting change to fried chicken or pork chops. Just beware, you may use a bit more oil than bread crumbs as oats acts like a sponge.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.