Author Topic: Gathering Winter Wood Now  (Read 818 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Gathering Winter Wood Now
« on: May 26, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
Well it is time to start logging for fire wood.

Typically, what you cut down now will be ready for winter burning if: Cut to length, split and properly stacked six months before the snow starts flying. Last year we used 6 1/2 cords so this year the goal is 7 cords put away.

I typically cut, split and stack ~3 cords myself then get 3-4 cords from a local fire wood guy. Last year he retired so it had me scrambling and the end result was hit or miss buying good quality wood ready to burn PLUS it was expensive.

This year I am going to buy a "tri-axle" load of hard wood. Depending on the size of the tri-axle you get between 6 - 8 cords out of a load. The price is between $480 - $550 or $70 - $80 a cord. This is far under the going rate now up here of $150 - $180.

An added benefit is you get to cut it to the exact size you need and stack it so it will be ready by winter.

Now, on the same topic, just a different gear...

The land we have is covered with a lot of hard wood and I could spend nothing for fire wood. With that written, once cut down it will be a bitch to log out to the road and then transport to the cabin. This was one of the reasons I was in the market for a tractor with a front loader. Then I thought, "why spend $30K when I could buy enough wood for the winter for ~$500.

Anyhow, now is the time to start putting wood up for the winter.

Pictures will be forth coming.   
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.