Author Topic: Firewood Processing 2023  (Read 588 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Firewood Processing 2023
« on: August 05, 2023, 09:47:50 AM »
I have processed firewood for this coming November & December and Will start working on January's today. Typically, I process between 6 to 7 cords.

As most of you know, I buy a tri-axle of logs every late spring/early summer for firewood. A tri-axle worth is about 10-cords uncut. This year it was $825- for the tri-axle, up from last year of $725-. In years past starting in 2014, the price was around $600- a load. 

Attached to this post is an article I wrote several years ago concerning using wood for heat titled, Wood For Heat. It speaks to the cost of processing your own logs for heat and using wood for heat.

What do you plan on using to heat your home this year?

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Firewood Processing 2023
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 02:43:46 PM »
Big windstorm back in May blew down 3 large red oaks in the uncut half acre of my lot.

Its in the stack and drying.

Primary is electric heat pump (heat and AC) that replaced just an AC system that died about 3 years ago.  Heat prior was an oil fire hot water system.  That works well and was great back when No. 1 heating oil was 40 cents a gallon.

Not at about $3.50 a gallon. 

Wood helps much!

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 03:28:38 PM »
Main house is all electric, geo thermal. Cooling is great and costs around $110 per month. Heat struggles to get above 68 in dead of winter.
Cabin in Wisconsin has a propane fired hot water boiler for heat. It has a wood stove on main level that is great in winter. We have 2 cords of wood on hand. If power is out, we can use a kerosene heater in basement. 55 gallon drum on hand in garage.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 04:10:55 PM »
Similar here, nice , wood stove with secondary catalytic fume burning , well enough to heat our little cottage. A/C is entirely infrastructure dependent, so if we lose electrical power , we just simmer in our own juices.  A small fan for some comfort while sleeping is available to run on our modest solar power system. The solar is mainly for emergency lighting and communications.  I have checked into our and other nets,  passed formatted traffic and etc. Using this solar power system for power.  It was at least sufficient.

Cooking is small canister camp stove woth stored fuel canisters for  aproxately the first month,  then wood fires and cast iron cook ware after that. We all have wells in this very small comminity, including grandfather wells, servicable with a rope and bucket.  Some neighbors have back-up whole house power for normal living as lkng as they jave fuel. Oir home well is 489 feet deep ( 4th aquifer) yet, less than 20 feet from the water surface to the top of our well casing  In an emergency an hour using a dipping can will give us plenty for the week, including drinking, washing and toilet flushing. We have a septic field system. 

It's not easy, but it works. 

Sir John Honeybucket. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 04:26:45 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 10:59:47 AM »
Some great info. Thx for sharing. Others?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.