Author Topic: Eating animal feed  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
Eating animal feed
« on: February 07, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
So I was parousing through a tractor supply today and came across some 50 pound bags of 'forage oats' used by hunters to plant to attract deer. It looked like plain oat groats to me. The bag is very cheap compared to 50 pounds of food grade oats. I called the company and they confirmed it is chemical free plain oat groats but it doesn't meet the legal standard to be considered food grade.

I'm wondering you guys' thoughts on whether or not it should be eaten. I may buy a bag just to see if I can eat it first. Also, how in the world can I prepare oat groats for consumption? I know I can grind them and make flour but I'm wondering if there is any way to make porridge out of it.

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
Re: Eating animal feed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
 [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

I've actually wondered the same thing myself, any input would be appreciated.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »
OK. I have done a bunch of research on this subject however I am not an expert.

Cattle grade grain is a rated as a II level. Human grade grain is III level. It specifically has to do with the amount of dirt and chafe in the end result AND if "they" put any poison in it to ward off rodents. If the package states no rodent deterrent (Or verbiage to that point) you just have to deal with a little bit extra dirt, stones and chafe. DO NOT TELL THE COMPANY (Like Agway) you are buying for human consumption or they will not sell to you.

Now if you buy seed grain there will (In almost every case) contain chemicals to prevent pilfering from rodents and a chemical to help jump start growth after it has been sown. STAY AWAY FROM at all costs if you are planning on grinding it in its purchase form.

Again, I am no expert.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »
Got it, i'll do a little bit more reading into the subject thanks Jmac!!