Author Topic: Difficult to Store Fats: Where to get it?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
Difficult to Store Fats: Where to get it?
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:01:28 AM »
I really don't know much about nutrition though I like to think I have a decent base of knowledge. Most people seem to recomend a diet consisting of ~30% fats. Fats, as we know, are difficult to store for future us. Hence my question:

Which fats do we need? Would fats from goat milk, chicken eggs, animals, and fish be adequite to fulfill our fat intake?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:07:17 AM by Grudgie »

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
Re: Difficult to Store Fats: Where to get it?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
You can cover your fat requirements quite easily if you have meat and milk, also don't forget about oils and dried fruits containing it, like nuts

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »
Thanks. I was just wondering because of all the different fats I hear about. Saturated, monosaturated, omega3.. etc? A little confusing.

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:12:52 PM »
I can't comment on the nutritional value, but bacon grease will store damn near forever.

Also, try planting sunflowers. They won't stand out because most people will just think it's a giant yellow flower.

Offline WhiteWolfReloaded

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
I can't comment on the nutritional value, but bacon grease will store damn near forever.

Also, try planting sunflowers. They won't stand out because most people will just think it's a giant yellow flower.

Great recommendation. People with peanut allergies can use the seeds, shelled obviously, to make their own sun butter. It's a very tasty substitute.

When we're thinking about fats keep in mind you want to get the right type. Bacon grease will store, but long term it's horrible for you. In fact, recent studies have linked pork consumption to MS.

Soy is a good source for polyunsaturated fats, but don't buy off the shelf soy beans, milk, or processed. ALL soy in the US is GMO unless you buy specified non GMO organic seeds and grow them yourself. Tofu, fish,  safflower oil, and walnuts are other good sources for polyunsaturated. Personally though, nut wise, I'd go with Brazil Nuts. Google it real quick to see why.

Good monounsaturated fats will come from peanut butter, nuts, sesame oil, sunflower oil, and avocados.

As far as saturated fat, coconut oil. Buy organic extra virgin. Also is great for your teeth. Recent studies have been shown to fight cavities better than fluoride. 

Hope that's somewhat useful.

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »
In fact, recent studies have linked pork consumption to MS.
I had no idea.  :-[ I wonder if that's farmed pork, or does it include wild hogs too?

As far as saturated fat, coconut oil.
There are a lot of other health benefits associated with coconut oil too. I've been thinking about an experiment to press my own oil...Lord knows we have plenty of coconuts down here in FL.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
Check out ghee. Basically ghee is clarified butter.

A prepper friend buys unsalted butter on sale and puts it into the freezer. Once she has acquired enough to 3/4 her crock pot she makes ghee.

If my memory serves me right she:

> fills the crock pot with butter so when melted it will be 2/3 - 3/4 full
> Cook for 8 hours or so on low. You do not want the butter to turn brown
> Once done most of the water will have been heated off and a bunch of white milk solids on the bottom
> Spoon the clear (lightly golden in color) ghee from the top 2/3rds of the crock pot and put in Pt. Mason Jars.
   Cool and store in a dry cool location.
> The remaining ghee in the crock pot can be spooned into a cheese cloth lined colander to remove the milk
    solids.

I have heard that if done correctly, ghee can be kept in a cool, dark, dry place for years. UV and 02 can break it down quickly.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »
Jeremy- It's in regards to all pork. Pigs naturally build up toxins in their bodies to an unsafe level for regular human consumption. Since my mom developed MS she avoids pork like the plague, but it used to be a staple in our house growing up. I would assume wild hogs would be safer, but in the end I doubt we're all going to go out from pork caused MS  :)) More like :zombie1:

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »
Damn, well, that's shitty to know. The only pork I really eat is bacon, but there's no way in hell I'm giving that up.  :-\

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Damn, well, that's shitty to know. The only pork I really eat is bacon, but there's no way in hell I'm giving that up.  :-\

I feel ya. I have a soft spot for Cracker Barrel's biscuits and gravy. 100% bacon fat  ;D