Author Topic: Biscuit Recipe  (Read 863 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Biscuit Recipe
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
I have several biscuit recipes we use at the cabin. One is for strawberry shortcake...One is to put on top of a stew to finish it...One is for breakfast (Uses butter milk)...Etc. Well I ran across this recipe today and I thought it was interesting as it contains extra cream of tarter and uses regular milk.

We all know that you can make baking powder by combining cream of tarter/baking soda in a 2:1 ratio; However, the extra cream of tarter intrigues me. I HAVEN'T tried it yet but I will and report back. If you get a chance, try it and then post your results.

Humblebee Farms Biscuits Recipe

• 3 cups all purpose flour
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 4 tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
• 3/4 tsp. Salt
• 1/2 cup shortening, butter or lard
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 1/8 cup milk (a little more if the weather and flour are very dry)

Directions: Turn your oven to hot or about 475 degrees and let it thoroughly preheat. In a large bowl combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Mix. Cut the fat in (whichever fat you used) until it resembles coarse crumbs. You can use a pastry blender for this, or a knife, but it’s best to not melt the fat by using your hands. Mix together the egg and milk in another small bowl and the pour the wet mixture over the crumbs. Mix together until it starts to come away from the sides of the bowl. Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead it a dozen times. Too much kneading and you’ll get tough biscuits. I roll mine out to about 3/4 inch thick then cut with a biscuit cutter (best), glass (it works), or for less waste just cut it up into 12 pieces. Put on a parchment-lined baking sheet with a little space between the biscuits and bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes until they’re light golden brown. Keep an eye on them the first time you make them to see how quickly your oven cooks them. Cool on a rack and enjoy! If you’re using them as a topping on top of a casserole, place them on top and keep the dish covered for the first 30 minutes of cooking, and then remove the cover for the last few minutes of cooking to brown the tops of the biscuits. If you’re making biscuits to go with a roast dinner I recommend taking your meat out of the oven when it’s done and covering it with foil, then leaving it to rest for 20 minutes before carving it. During that 20 minutes you can make biscuits and gravy.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:05:13 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Re: Buscuit Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
I have a family recipe for butter pecan (I think?) cookies that calls for cream of tarter.  It creates a unique silky-fine-soft-crispiness texture.  Kinda interested in what it would do for the biscuits? 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:18:18 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Biscuit Recipe
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »
SK, unless the recipe is a family secret please post your recipe.  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Biscuit Recipe
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:50:14 PM »
Same thing for you Special K.  Pecan season is coming in and we have 27 full mature trees.  Year before last there was right at 5000 pounds of nice, fresh Stuart pecans to do something with.  Most were sold to wholesaler.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.