Author Topic: BOL Stroll  (Read 2343 times)

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
BOL Stroll
« on: May 21, 2012, 02:16:29 AM »
BOL Stroll: creek & fish pond

BOL Stroll: Chicken coop and other old stuff

BOL Stroll: Fields

BOL Stroll: 1PS goofing off
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: BOL Stroll
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:26 AM »
 [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:34:55 AM »
Here's a lesser known trick that old timers used to keep the birds away from figs and other tree fruit.  IT REALLY WORKS, I learned it from my grandparents, and have used it on my plum tree and blackberry bushes:

Attach aluminum pie pans near the ends of the branches.  Space them about 3 - 5 feet apart.  You can reach the higher branches by tying some weight (large metal nut, lead fishing weight, etc.) to the end of some fishing line, then throw it over the higher branches.  When the weight comes back down, remove the weight, attach the aluminum, then pull it back up to the high branch.

I, loving "free shit", missed out on protecting my mulberry tree this year while waiting for a friend who kept saying they were going to bring me some pie pans.  The birds have eaten approx. 3/4 of my mulberries....I managed to harvest enough to make 2+ pints of preserves yesterday.......Oh yeah, and the pie pans arrived a few hours after I put the lid on the preserves.  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at   I should be able to harvest a little more when they ripen......Oh well, there's always next year......errrr, maybe, providing the apocalypse doesn't happen first.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:30:09 AM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »
I love tricks the old timers used back when.  Thanks!

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
i just had mullberries for the first time this weekend. that shit is like crack!

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
Welcome to the South.   :))

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
i just had mullberries for the first time this weekend. that shit is like crack!
Yeah, the birds think that too.....then they leave their little purple shit bombs everywhere! Lol
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:10:15 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »
love the sounds more than anything Nola.

Why is it they don't like pie pans?
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »
love the sounds more than anything Nola.

Why is it they don't like pie pans?

they're old and don't rely on their plants to sustain themselves. they just grow because they enjoy it and it's how they grew up. plus they tend to be more worried about "pretty landscaping" rather than efficient production. thats why the place looks like a freaking magazine cover. NBD, whenever my name is on the title that will change. whenever i own that place, I have big plans. wheat fields, bean fields, dozens more fruit trees, extending the fish pond about another 50 or 60 yards, etc. also LP/OP's and other strategic defensive installations.

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
Why is it the birds don't like pie pans?

I mean I can imagine if there is two of them together on one string then its obvious they don't like the sound of the two clinking together. But just one? I don't get it?
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »
Why is it the birds don't like pie pans?

I mean I can imagine if there is two of them together on one string then its obvious they don't like the sound of the two clinking together. But just one? I don't get it?

i dunno. maybe the same reason deer are scared of a dishrag hanging from a string around a veggie crop? they're animals bro. they don't think about things logically like me and you. they see it and think to themselves: "oh shit, fuck that"...

Offline Treaded

• Prepper
    • The Lizard Farmer's Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »
Part of the reason is that it isn't something that belongs there.  Animals are really sensitive to things and if they see something they don't know what it is they tend to shy away from it - especially if it has any movement to it.  Around here we use plastic bags tied on string to keep the deer at bay from the garden.  After about a week if you haven't moved them the deer figure out they belong there. 

Another good technique to keep the birds away from the fruit trees is cut some lengths of worn out garden hose and thread them around the branches.  Birds think they're snakes and stay away from them. 

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
I like it.

Plus... if I do it at night or while the wife is at school I can get her too.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

" Look wife...a snake and our son is hanging from that same branch... what should we do? "

:o