Author Topic: 2014 Hunting Log/Share your Hunt  (Read 1256 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
2014 Hunting Log/Share your Hunt
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »
I thought I would start a topic on hunting in 2014. There are many folks who have been hunting for years who can share their knowledge here. There are also some folks on this forum who will be out in the field for the first time this year. Let's all learn from each other by posting your experiences here.

I have been dove hunting for the past week but have only gotten one dove so far. I was complaining to an older gentleman yesterday and he asked me, "When are you going out?" I told him that I am going out just after the season opens (Noon around here). He suggested that I go out 1 hour before sunset and sit around a small pond or damned up water source. I will give it a try and report back.

All of our deer stands are really ground stands. Going out today to freshen them up a bit. I will post pictures later.  Ciao...

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: 2014 Hunting Log/Share your Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:27:22 AM »
Many years ago I use to hunt in tree stands and use "pop-up commercial blinds" to minimal success. Now we hunt exclusively in ground blinds, made from the natural brush found in the woods and have been very successful.

Built my first ground deer stand yesterday. Below are some pic's. There will probably be another half dozen or so spread all over our property. Used based on wind direction and weather. 

My first task was to walk around a portion of our property to figure out where to place my first blind.

I found a great relatively clear spot that was about 20 yards from a power line to the east where three deer trails intersected. About 50 yards to the north a series of old apple trees still producing apples along with a few Oak trees stood. There was another deer trail south about 25 yards of the clearing, that crossed the a for mentioned power line into the woods angling off towards a water source. PERFECT!

Looked for a nice straight white pine tree as close to the middle of all of this action as possible (See attached picture).

Once the pine tree was identified I went to work gathering 8-10' long dead limbs. Laid the limbs against the tree all around in tepee fashion. Took some hemp twine & "tied-in" the top of the limbs along with three strands along the base. This provided support and a place to put the brush later. (See attached picture 2)

The last part of this exercise was gathering up live starter trees and brush to put around the base of the new blind. This action provides the cover along with clearing up shooting lanes to the different deer trails and apple & oak trees. (See attached picture 3)

The first PA. rifle deer season starts October 25th. It is a week long season only for muzzle loaders. By that time the live starter trees along with the green brush will have started to die and blend in nicely with the surrounding woods. Sitting behind the blind dressed in my Advantage Classic camo, along with a camo shemagh tied around ours head, we are invisible.

Years ago, I made a folding wood stool to sit on while in these blinds. The stool folds into its self and sports shoulder straps on one side & a small fleece backpack on the other side. When going to/from my stand I wear it like a back pack. 

So there you go...How do you hunt deer in your neck of the woods?

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Burt Gummer

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
The area I used to hunt at was never very good for blinds, to many hills to much growth. So i'd keep moving because there's lots of deer, I'd make sure that my clothing is noiseless, front load my rifle, hell I even used to wear BDU's but that was more of a comfort POU factor then camouflage. I've stood still and had a doe walk right past me at 5 feet without ever noticing me. and was wearing plaid at the time. I look for buck rubs near trails and stalk that general area.

I think i'll get my small game license this year so I can cook up a squirrel or two.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 05:44:53 AM »
Well it's a bit past 5:30 ET and I am just finishing my first cup of joe. Today opens the PA. early muzzle loader season for anterless deer and I am going out with my cap-lock Hawken rifle. My neighbor is going out with my other Hawken, a flint lock.

The first ML deer season here in PA. you can use Flint or cap. The second ML season you can only use flint.

For you folks who like to roll your own...I am loading my rifle with 80gr of 3F Goex powder, a wonder pad and then a patched round ball to finish it off. The patch is .023" thick (compressed) and the ball is .480 pure lead. This load hits about 1 inch high at 50 yards.

Enjoy your Saturday.  :)

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
God bless John, that's a brutal load!

I really enjoyed the photos of your woodlot, it's looking very nice and tidy.

Best of luck on the hunt!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
Thx TG. Yupper it is a stout load.  :hiding:

I saw two does (One was a older fawn) about 9:30 AM Sat. By the time I made out that the leed deer was a doe (First season in PA is anterless only) she had moved into some heavy brush. Then popped out the other deer about half the size as mom.

Didn't bust a cap on the smaller one as when all said and done I would have only had about 20-25#'s of very tender deer meat.  ^-^ Not worth the tag or the effort to gut it out.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
Good article in Survival blog on hunting deer.

Here is a short exert:
These are some of the benefits of deer hunting and processing your own meat:

>   Help keep deer populations at a healthy level.
 >   Learn to use maps, compass, and GPS.
 >   Practice and increase proficiency with guns and possibly bow and arrow.
 >   Maintain all weapons and gear associated with hunting.
 >   Learn and practice tracking, scouting, and general outdoor skills.
 >   Spend less time watching T.V.
 >   Learn to identify what deer feed on and that you can eat some of the same things.
 >   Save money at the grocery store.
 >   Gain an abundance of low fat and totally organic meat.
 >   Learn how to butcher and process your own meat.
 >   See beautiful sunrises and sunsets, while getting fresh air and exercise.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 04:14:48 PM »
Missed out bagging a dear this morning! Double DAMN!!

Out of the corner of my left eye I saw movement in some thick brush about 40-50 yards to my left and it appeared to be a lone deer wondering south.

I raised my rifle to see if it was a buck or doe as you can only shoot bucks with 3 points or more on one side. As I was making my determination of gender and number of points, I saw three white tails taking off followed very quickly by the one I was glassing.

Have no idea what spooked them as the breeze was in my favor and there was no way for them to see me.

Sat there for another hour hoping they might double back or a buck was following the does looking for some mid-morning action  ;)

Well nada, zilch, butcus. Walked back to the cabin to get some coffee and freshly made sticky buns.

Now we have a 2-3 day snow storm arriving tomorrow  :facepalm: