Author Topic: @$%$!@ Caterpillars!  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
@$%$!@ Caterpillars!
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
That is all for now.   :violin:

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Re: @$%$!@ Caterpillars!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »
Horticultural apocalypse much?   :trolling:
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »
I feel that way about deer.  Garden-murdering buggers.  Sorry to hear the caterpillars are getting you. :(
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
Horticultural apocalypse much?   :trolling:

Hah hah hah!

I had 6 tomatoes plants kicking ass, throwing off enough fruit to eat plenty of them every day...hadn't been outside in a few days, then came out and saw the plants about 1/4 of the size and leafless. I'm thinking of putting a bird feeder in the area. I'm pretty sure they'll devour the little fuckers.  :gunner:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
Big, black and green horned caterpillars by any chance?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »
These guys:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45:06 PM »
Yupper I know them well.

You first know that they are there because around your tomato plants there are dark BB sized scat. There are several ways of making them go away and others to make sure they do not return.

1) Dill is a natural deterrent so plant dill. This year I sprinkled dry dill on my plants (Cheating) just before a rain storm
    and I was please with the result.
2) Once you see the tell tale scat, I closely look at each and every plant and remove them and pitch them into ocean in
    front of my house. You do not need an ocean but to see them wither in pain that the salt water brings makes
    me happy. Or you can just feed them to critters - Kill them though!
3) Certain Wasps use these critters as a 'host' for their eggs/larva which kills them. Fine out which and invite them into
    your garden.

Jeremy, I know you have had challenges with your garden however it is all good - You are learn'en. You will use these skills when your garden becomes your only source of food. Learn it now rather than then!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54:44 PM »
Well, my heart goes out to you on the loss of 'maters.  But on the bright side, there are going to be some really beautiful butterflies in your future.   

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »
Well, my heart goes out to you on the loss of 'maters.  But on the bright side, there are going to be some really beautiful butterflies in your future.   

But, but he can't eat the butterflies...can he?  :what:

Anyone had fried butterfly before?

Anyone?

:o

Offline Jeremy Knauff

• Prepper
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:39:15 AM »
Great tip on the dill JM, I didn't know about that. I currently have basil planted in between each tomato plant, and sunflowers and peppermint planted scattered throughout that bed, to bring in the wasps, but as there aren't any flowers on any of those yet, no wasps have come. I scattered chives and sunflowers throughout the bed with broccoli and cauliflower, and those are virtually untouched.

Yeah, the garden has been a tough haul so far, but if worse comes to worse, I still have the rabbits. With three does, I can produce more than enough meat for the fam.  :cowboy: