Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Pay It Forward/Other Deals / Re: work gloves, 12 @ 1.59ea.
« Last post by Nemo on May 16, 2024, 10:39:13 PM »
3 pair goes to $4.59

7 goes to $2.59

12 goes to $1.59

Might have to get some.

Nemo
Pay It Forward/Other Deals / work gloves, 12 @ 1.59ea.
« Last post by RB in GA on May 16, 2024, 09:59:40 PM »
The link will show 5.95 for 1 pair, but if you enter 12 pair the 1.59 each will calculate. Don't know this brand, but hey its a basically disposable glove at that price.  Keep Shooting is a good retailer btw, though shipping can get expensive.

https://www.keepshooting.com/taskall-work-gloves.html
General Discussion / Re: Self Sufficiency - 2024 vs. 1776
« Last post by Sir John Honeybucket on May 16, 2024, 09:34:49 PM »
My experience  with forming or joining an MAG has been poor.  The 'welfare mentality' of gimme stuff for free got old, and FAST! Ham radio was fine if someone bought their HT for them, programmed it and then it all died on the vine, because though they'd swear that they're like Johnny Rambo and would carry a hostage on their back for miles behind enemy lines, in bare feet over broken glass when TSHTF;

yet , during easy peacetime , merely getting their Technician class license was too difficult. It's toooo haaaaard!   :faint:

I believed them.

73 de  Sir John Honeybucket
« Last post by Searchboss on May 16, 2024, 09:11:19 PM »
As a matter of fact, every lady has a CCW and a EDC handgun. Most have their own AR-15. Yes, I am sorry to report, many with pink or purple stocks.  :facepalm: Oh well, each to their own.

:popcorn:

I was laughing so hard I just about fell out of my chair when I read that.  :lmfao: I must admit that there is some of the same going on around here too, although we do not need a CCW permit in Georgia any longer. However, every adult in my family still has one. I am just glad they have an EDC and know how to use it! I have more to say on the subject of MAGs, but I will wait until tomorrow. Great comments and conversation here!  :stir:
« Last post by JohnyMac on May 16, 2024, 03:29:01 PM »
Searchboss, great comments and questions. My best and main MAG does not have any formal agreements. We tend to be self governing not unlike the amateur radio folks. Probably because out of the 22 or so members of the group, 18 have a ham radio ticket; Technician, General, or Extra.

We use meet-ups to a degree that revolve around ham radio events. Winter field day, rookie round up, etc so far this year. We have scheduled a workshop on canning for June. Folks wanted to do a canning workshop way before canning season in late summer. We will be canning veggies to protein at that workshop.

I suspect that this MAG is successful because the the main drivers of the group are women hence mothers. My role is pretty much just being facilitator and logistical guy while the ladies drive the subjects. Although I have given talks on the "bullets" equation of the 4 Bee's, most workshops revolve around food and medicine. Not to say, the ladies are anti-bullets they tend to look at a firearm more as a tool not as a beautiful piece of machinery. As a matter of fact, every lady has a CCW and a EDC handgun. Most have their own AR-15. Yes, I am sorry to report, many with pink or purple stocks.  :facepalm: Oh well, each to their own.

:popcorn:
« Last post by Felix on May 16, 2024, 02:28:44 PM »
No formal MAD in my neighborhood - but general knowledge of who IS working towards self-sufficiency and able to "weather a storm".
This leaves an indeterminant number of folks who could very well become a burden - and fast.   
IF I were to propose formalizing shared standards, group activities and exercises... invitations would include what salient items appropriate in you view for a start?    Broadcast general invite to ALL on the road?   Start selectively and work up prospects on a slow, individual basis?    And as to standards - what resources are already in hand - who wants to be inspected?   Can a MAG have much credible value if some folks claim to be "prepared" but in fact they are not?
General Discussion / Re: ProtonMail Hacked
« Last post by Obh on May 16, 2024, 12:39:40 PM »
Protonmail was NOT hacked. They gave over a recovery email address (which was an appleID, which was how the authorities got a name, from Apple) after being subpoenaed. Proton does not have access to email contents, so they cannot hand that over.
« Last post by Searchboss on May 16, 2024, 11:38:27 AM »
    I find that the biggest problem within MAG's is the differences of preparations and skill levels between members.  One of groups that I belong to seems to function more as an educational outlet for newbies, rather than being a functional assistance group.  Training consists of a once a month meeting with a speaker.  There's limited social interaction, except during the meeting.  The size of that group is unwieldy too (70+), and the members are too scattered.  Good leadership is a crucial ingredient, and that group is lacking it, and the current leader doesn't want to step down.  We'll be leaving that group soon, as I tell my wife, "Not my monkeys, not my circus."  I actually met my wife through this group, but we've realized that our skills and knowledge base are beyond the average group member, and they seem to be stagnant.  The members don't seem to mature, and don't realize the seriousness of preparations.  For example, those that are into communications, the average member will purchase a Baofeng, get it programmed and put it back into its box.  They're not interested in getting their ham license, learning how to operate the radio on nets, or spending money on some means of recharging the radio battery when the grid goes down.  They don't want to spend money on an AR, or some other defensive weapon.  Members of this group are takers, or leeches, rather than producers, and this particularly applies to the leadership.  All in all, that group is an excellent example of a bad MAG!

I've found that an effective group needs to have members located within 30 minutes of each other, which helps logistically and it helps with simplex communications.  The members need to have similar skill levels, and have basic preparations already acquired.  Otherwise the group is carrying the member and his family. 

Another group that I'm involved with takes a different route.  There are training meetings, but we also have cookouts, and we get together socially.  This group also gets together to shoot and develop team skills.  Members live closer together and interact on a daily basis.  In my estimation, it's a much more effective and dynamic group, and also more intimate.  Members share their knowledge and skills, and it's a dynamic group.  Needless to say, when TSHTF, I know which group I'll be actively working with.

Jackalope, this is a very appropriate topic, and one I am interested in. Your description of the bigger MAG you mentioned is larger, but somewhat similar to one we have here that I have been meeting with for the past couple of years. Most, but not all, are older folks (aged 40-70) who have been prepping for a while. There is a loose group of about 15-20 active people here who meet monthly at a local business; usually having varied and relevant meeting topics, and also have the occasional pot-luck dinner meeting or weekend range day. Generally, they are a good group of people, some of whom are very knowledgeable in relevant topics and willing to share their knowledge. The skill level varies, but most have multiple skills and are capable in those areas. Most have guns, gear, a small garden; are very dedicated to their version of prepping, almost approaching homesteading for three of them. Some are HAMS, but they do not use their skills or equipment. Most just talk about radios. There was not enough interest in developing a net to make it worthwhile. While they all seem to enjoy each other?s company, they do not appear interested in developing farther as a serious MAG. Lack of leadership is a problem here too, but mainly because those who have that skill set do not seem willing to assume that responsibility.

Perhaps I have a different definition of a MAG than they do. When we talked about training or group bulk-buys of some items, they seemed interested, and many participated. But when we talk about mutual self-support agreements in a general way, most folks are looking at the walls and have little to say. My guess is that they are afraid of making formal commitments or sharing intimate information about what they are doing with others, which is funny since they often talk about it at meetings. I know through conversations that several of the people mentioned have been involved with forming MAGs that have failed in the past, some with others of this group. I have been told that those smaller MAGs failed spectacularly, usually due to people-problems with others who do not participate in these meetings. The end result was that the MAG dissolved.

I am curious. Do any of the MAGs that you mentioned have a formal or written agreement? If not, how do they ensure that all the members have the same goals and values when forming their MAGs? How do they define how members will support each other if it is needed?

It seems common that in some areas there are public prepper meetings where like-minded people get together informally to socialize. From my experience, most seem to know or know of each other. Often these public meetings are used to discreetly screen potential members for another private group or MAG. Would you agree?

BTW, I really like your "Not my monkeys, not my circus" comment. If you don?t mind I think I will add that to my collection of idioms.

I suspect that most of us have read the same books and/or have had similar experiences when it comes to forming and managing MAGs. Let?s have more discussion on what a MAG is, and how to make one successful.
Radio / Re: Radio Transmissions Affected
« Last post by cooter on May 16, 2024, 11:24:48 AM »

Cooter, always great getting your reports from Sir John. Thx for taking the time to send them  :thumbsUp:

That's all down to Sir John.  He volunteered to hold weekly skeds, and puts up with my limited skills.  I really do need to work harder at improving my copying skills.
« Last post by pkveazey on May 16, 2024, 10:19:49 AM »
We all know that there is more than one way to run any operation. Just as there is more than one way to make a marriage work. My MAG is very small and is so close together that we all can see each other's house. OK, one guy is 3 air miles away. The one thing that I had to learn to accept is that every member is going to be at a different level of preparedness. Now, the ones that are luke warm about it will realize just how serious it really is when the SHTF. They will be a bit short on supplies and knowledge but will be willing to get their ass in gear when the need arises. The main thing is we all know one another and what skills each has. As for leadership, that's a real bitch. He who wants to be in charge should never be in charge. Those guys are worthless and are just glory hounds. I learned that while I was working, and I could spot a bad manager a mile away. The person who should be in charge is someone who is actually willing to work harder than anybody else and should be asked to be in charge by the group. I suppose that I'm the DeFacto leader because I set up the MAG but I would just as soon have one of the others as leader. I recognize the necessity to overstock on most things and will be willing to help other MAG members before helping outsiders. Even though some of my MAG members will be a bit short on supplies, they will still be useful because of their skillsets. Just as an example, a couple of them are mechanics with a garage and proper tools. Another is a Farmer who farms a lot of close by acreage and has plenty of heavy equipment. Another is a Jack of all trades and can build just about anything. He replaced my front porch and back deck and he used to be an EMT. And the obvious.... They all can hit what they are aiming at. I have several skill sets but my main skill is communications. When the SHTF, I expect to increase the size of my neighborhood MAG but for the time being, I have a mental list of people in mind that I will approach about joining. I just see a problem with a MAG that is huge. It's like trying to heard cats. :facepalm:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10