Author Topic: The New Transceiver - PMR 171 By NC Scout  (Read 675 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
The New Transceiver - PMR 171 By NC Scout
« on: October 05, 2023, 10:57:28 AM »
Our good friend, NC Scout just posted a review concerning the new to the market, PMR 171. It is a great writeup and maybe it is time to sell my 817 and buy one of these bad boys.

https://brushbeater.org/2023/10/05/the-pmr-171-the-swiss-army-knife-of-radios-weve-all-waited-for/#respond

Thoughts?

:popcorn:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: The New Transceiver - PMR 171 By NC Scout
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 12:27:07 PM »
     I've been waiting for more reviews from users, rather than sellers of the PMR-171.  NC Scout's "review" doesn't have enough detail to make a decision regarding the radio.  It's good to see more competition in the "shack in a box" niche.  Some of the local hams have purchased IC-705s and they seem happy with them, but the price and power output of the radio aren't exceptional, so I've been waiting to see new equipment.  I really do like the widespread frequency coverage of the FT-817 and the form factor too. 

Johny, I look forward to your review of the PMR-171!   :dance: :cheers:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 12:50:15 PM »
 :lmfao:  :cheers:

At this time, with a whole host of inventory in the redoubts Faraday cage, I too will be looking for an in-depth review before I pull the trigger.  ;)

It does look interesting for sure though.  :thumbsUp:

As a side note...I do love my G90 even with its drawbacks like, separate power source, coverage of the bands - only 10-160m, and not really set up for in pack use. However, it is a great radio for under $500- 

:popcorn: 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 01:31:27 PM »
     Yeah, my FT-817 is sitting in a Faraday enclosure too, I couldn't tell you when was the last time I used it.  I keep it only because it has multi-mode VHF/UHF capability. 

I like my G90, mostly because of the tuner and the 20 watt output, though I still prefer my CommRadio CTX-10 because of the built-in batteries.  It sounds like the PMR-171 meets all my requirements, so the G90 and FT-817 may soon be replaced.  Decisions, decisions...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 02:06:16 PM »
I loaned my 817 to my 19 yo neighbor to use this past summer at Philmont BS Camp. It did fine on 5w via digital. But even so, I really had to pick the correct band at the correct time of day. Most QSO's he heard me with no issues. I was using 50w out of my FT DX -10. I was able to hear him about 50% of the time.

Anybody who would like to buy the 817nd complete with auto tuner and Digirig setup, drop me a pm. $400- plus shipping to your AO. Originally, $500- for radio, $150- for auto tuner, and $100 for digirig modem. So, that is a deal.

:thumbsUp:

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 02:20:51 PM »
Ideally, a MAG should pick whatever Radios they all like and can afford. Since my MAG is only about 7 families and the farthest one is 3 miles away. I bought and programmed UV 5R's for every household and gave them away. The reason I went with the UV5R was they weren't locked to the Ham Bands only. We can use them on MARINE, MURS, FRS, GMRS, and HAM. Our group is holding them until the SHTF and then they will turn them on and leave them in their charging stations 24/7. Since they are pretty much disposable radios, I have a ton of spare UV 5R radios and lots of extra battery packs. I'm the only Ham so I'm stuck with also using all the Ham bands for distant coms. Our MAG will Monitor MURS because 2 meters talks farther than 450 Mhz. Now, as to my coms.....  I can cover 160 meters through 6 meters plus I have a 25 watt Triband (2 meters, 220, 440) and a 5 Watt DMR HT dual band (2 meters/440) connected to an outside antenna. My Radio Bug Out backpack has a 100 watt ICOM 718 with an LDG auto tuner mounted on top and 8 watt Baofeng HT and a crap load of test equipment, several spools of copper wire to make dipoles and some RG8 Coax Cable. Before you ask, No, I do not have a 12 volt power supply in the backpack. I plan to connect to my or somebody's car battery. Even if there is an EMP event, the car batteries will survive. I do have an old Computer switching supply that could power the Ham radio and charge HT batteries but I would still need 120 volts AC to operate it, so I didn't put it in the backpack. My 4X4 vehicle has a 25 watt Triband radio and a 60 watt 2 meter radio already in it. My car has a Dual band 25 watt radio. The wife and I are both HAMS so we always carry an HT with us wherever we go. I've heard that some MAGS think they can use Cell Phones for COMS. Good luck with that stupid idea.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 02:24:03 PM by pkveazey »

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 08:03:58 AM »
Cool!  I downloaded the manual and etc. , looking at the specs and trawling the net for any reviews.  So far, while I don't "need" this, so far, I definitely want it.

- Sir John Honeybucket
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code