Author Topic: Tennessee Prepper Get-together And Net  (Read 418 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Tennessee Prepper Get-together And Net
« on: July 08, 2023, 08:10:21 AM »
As we have have read, Jackalope is having a small contingent of preppers over to his redoubt for some fellowship and maybe learn a few things to boot from each other.

As part of the activities at the meet-up, there will be an ERIN net tonight starting on 7.237 Mhz, up or down the band depending on available space. I believe a young lady who is attending the prepper event will be the NCS (Net Control Station) for this mid week ERIN net.

Start time is 2000E hrs./0000Z hrs.

I put the date on my calendar and have warmed up my radio and plan to make it as long as I do not fall asleep in my Lazy-boy.  :lmfao:

73 & God Bless
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
Re: Tennessee Prepper Get-together And Net
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 11:10:10 AM »
Good!  HF Radio:

It's the NEXT BEST thing to being there..."
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 07:53:31 PM »
oN FRQ BUT A LITTLE NOISY NORTH OF 7.237 BY 2 CLICKS. BUT HANGING IN THERE
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 08:36:55 PM »
True question:
Am currently reading, "Dog Soldiers" by James Tarr.
The use of radio and satellite in this tale is both constrained AND extent.
Given the basically centuries-old-triangulation-technology, how long does this group calculate their ability to "spread the word"  via HAM might be?     Before being shut down to "protect our Democracy"?
Has this been discussed?
   (and nevermind  that transmissions are pegged to name/location - just as my "Suppressor" is)

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 09:23:45 PM »
Felix,

This depends upon your threat model.  If it's WROL and the threat is only local brigands, I'm not concerned. Inan ACTUAL WROL situation, I might be so stressed that I forget my callsign.  Historically, it has happend, like in Ukraine and Serbo-Croatia and etc.  Even a hike of a few miles makes my transmit site mean nothing to my actual home location.  The use of digital modes is also a type of low level privacy, for an unsophisticated threat model.

OTOH, against Russian or Chinese government forces, we'd have to be very very good, fast and agile, which really, we are not. The idea of 15 km hike, sending a BURST transmission, then tearing down and evading back home, all the while dodging drones and pursuit teams...  not good. Operating clandestine radio in an environment controlled by a technologically sophisticated enemy is incredibly difficult and even a leaky oscillator on your radio, bluetooth/wifi left ON on your computer (or new gen transceiver)  can give you away during RECEIVE if they are very, very good.

Food for thought.

Sir John Honeybucket

On the other hand, no more D$%^MED! RADIO CONTESTS every weekend !!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 09:43:59 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 02:57:30 AM »
Felix's question was certainly not a dumb question but what we radio operators do will be governed by circumstance. If the FCC doesn't shut us down like they did during WW2, then it will be business as usual. They didn't shut us down during the Korean Conflict, Viet Nam, or the Iraq and Afghanistan problem. As best I can remember, there were about 300,000 Hams in the US when I became a Ham. Today, I think it's about 3 million. We don't know or even can guess what the Government will say we can or can't do until it happens. For long distance coms, we'll need HF but for short distances we will just need VHF and UHF. If we get limited to VHF and/or UHF, there is going to be a Hell of a lot of relays. If there is a complete shutdown, we'll end up using VHF or UHF simplex at very low power levels so as to not be detected. I have several more things in my basket of tricks but posting them here would be just plain dumb.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 02:21:49 PM »
     Just as a follow-up.  I was able to copy Sir John, on CW and voice, and I was able to copy Johny as well.  I had a very noise level due to thunderstorm activity in the area.  My YL operator had to depart early, so I was left to my own devices.  It was the first time that I had used that particular end fed antenna, and the Xiegu tuner had no trouble with it.  I should have tried it on 75 meters too, but I wanted to get the antenna down before the storm hit.

On the other hand, no more D$%^MED! RADIO CONTESTS every weekend !!!

If there was one aspect of amateur radio that could be eliminated, contests would be my number one choice.  They should be limited to just a few times per year and only on certain frequencies.

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 12:11:15 PM »
As possibly mentioned earlier, I've been looking at property in MO, AR, etc...    Several realtors keep me fed with listings as they come up.    I thought this might be interesting...   ;-)

https://portal.onehome.com/en-US/property/aotf~1038075845~ARKMLS?token=eyJPU04iOiJBUktNTFMiLCJjb250YWN0aWQiOiI1NjUyNzkiLCJlbWFpbCI6ImpjYXJwZW4zMjNAZ21haWwuY29tIiwiYWdlbnRpZCI6IjEwNDE0In0%3D&searchId=5f7f6d09-83bb-3c9e-9b0b-e4bfb9fa206e

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 12:54:20 PM »
Felix brings up a good question and I will throw my 3 cents in (Gone up due to inflation).

Sir John and PKv filled in a lot of blanks to your question so I will not try to not rehash their excellent commentary.

1) Triangulation would be the preferred method of tracking down the sender location. It would require manpower
    to accomplish. At least two teams but three would be better. This is a consideration that .gov or the Blue Helmets
    would have to weigh. "How important is it to find that one individual TXing info? How valuable is the info being TXed to
    the enemy? Again, it is a manpower issue.

2) I do not know if drones have the ability or can attain the ability to do triangulation. I do not see why not. This would be a
    force multiplier in the enemies favor. Again, it all depends on how important to the enemy it is to shut down someone TXing.

3) NC Scout once told me that while in Afghanistan, they use to monitor VHF frequencies which the Taliban used for coms. The
    Taliban infrequently used codes like a Brevity code and certainly not a OTP code. The American translators monitored the
    frequency's and then the QSO's were passed over to the allies G2 group (s). VERY SELDOM did they use triangulation with
    the goal of dropping a hellfire in their laps. It was all about gathering intel. For assignations, they focused on cell use via cell
    tower triangulation and or satellite and recon teams. So the intel gathered was more important then taking out 1-6 of the
    enemy.

4) This is where encrypted messaging comes into play, along with using as little watts as absolutely necessary. TX/RX as quick
    as you can and then beat feet. Using this method is where a directional antenna comes into play - TXing as well as RXing.
    Omnidirectional, TXing is absolutely out of the question.

I have been on several training patrols where the patrol signalman first puts together a report in Brevity Code Format,
    assembles a VHF or UHF directional antenna, and points the antenna in the direction of the TOC or a relay station. The
    message is sent and then the Signalman listens for a received all code or a request on a clarification of a specific line item
    from the report. If all goes well, the phone QSO lasts for under a minute. A digital coms lasts under 20 seconds. During this
    period, not only do you TX info but RX info from the TOC too. Once completed, you beat feet from your TX site to an agreed
    ahead of time rally point. 

Again speed, low power, using a directional antenna, using an encrypted message, and then vacating the area of the
    exchange is paramount.

There is a bit more involved but that is what it looks like at 10,000 feet.

5) Remember, to be a valuable radio operator, you do not need to RX. You can just listen and pass on information via 1:1
    meetings, or dead drops. Dead drops are a whole new can of worms not worth going into here.

If you are a reader and like dry text material HERE is the ARMY Manual on the subject of Techniques of Radio Operations.

Better yet, NC Scout offers two great classes. Squad/Team field RTO, Basic and advanced. Both are outstanding and some of us here have taken them. https://brushbeater.org/training-courses/

I have taken several others and have adapted what I learned from all to what works best for me and my team. I do not want to elaborate here for obvious reasons.

Felix asks what time is it...I tell him how to build a clock.  :facepalm: 

Last further discussion on this subject would be best in the Tri-cornered Hat Board. This board is only available to subscribers. On the average, this site receives ~7,000 hits a day. Obviously with only 600 subscribers and about 50 folks who are subscribers and check in daily, we need to maintain a PERESEC attempt on further delving into this subject.  :cheers:

Freedom Through self-Reliance

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 01:16:07 PM »
Felix, nice piece of property. Comes with a house, septic, and well water too. Looks like a radio tower and radio shack to boot. I do not know what things are going for (Price wise) in the area but in my parts (NE PA) that is about $50K over priced. BUT, each area is different consequently, prices vary.

Ask the realtor if there is a generator on site. With the whole building being electric, and it was used as a business, I would suspect that there is. If so, find out its size and if it works. As a prepper, if you do not have the ability to make your own juice for a 100% electric property, you will need to invest in one or look at solar.

May I suggest that you make an appointment to check it out with the stipulation that you would like to see other similar properties while out there. At 1,100 miles one way, at a minimum, you are looking at a two day trip out and another 2-day drive back. A flight into Springdale might be easier on your body and give you more time to explore.

Happy hunting.  :cheers:

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 02:49:42 AM »
Felix, just for fun I've looked at cheap land all over the place. All the good stuff seems to be in MO & ARK. Now, with the real estate crash well on its way, that FM radio station that you're looking at is perfect and if you wait a little while you might be able to buy that ideal place for a lot less money. OOOPS..... Did I forget to mention that the New Madrid earthquake is just 240 miles East of that location. The last time that thing went off it rang church bells in Boston and that's a documented fact. Then they had 12 months of aftershocks and blow holes all over the area. Wait... Did I forget to mention that I've been a Geology freak all my life. Did I also forget to mention that the Geologist are saying that they are due for another monster earthquake on that fault line? I keep looking at that area that your looking at and saying, "I need to buy some land in that area because its hill country and Tornados are afraid of mountains." Draw a line from Texarkana to New Madrid and that's where they've had a bunch of smaller earthquakes recently. The line actually continues straight into Indiana but you ain't looking at land in Indiana. If you are a Ham, that Tower is worth its weight in Gold but I sure wouldn't try to climb up it. That thing is at least 200 feet tall and must have a blinking light on it and the FCC only allows you 24 hours to replace a burned out bulb. Hams are allowed to have towers up to 200 feet tall and anything over 125 feet has to have a blinking light. Hmmm.... Does that mean you'd have to climb up there and cut off anything above the 200 foot mark? Now, let's get to the bottom line...... I'd buy that place in 2 seconds if I had cash money but there is no way that I'd borrow money to buy it.

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 06:53:59 PM »
Well, pk... the tower height isn't a "show-stopper", I've had to do stuff on masts, booms, even while under weigh... and a fall into water would not have been a  guaranteed survival thing...  safety harness, a bottle of water or two and patience would see me through - damn! I dropped that nut driver and I don't have a backup, SHIT!!!!"    ;-)
I am grateful for your take on relative real estate pricing - more on that later.   But for me, I also consider such an outstanding installation to also be something of a "lightening rod" - in more ways than one.    A little more "grey man" profile/location would probably be better for me.   The whole package does intrigue though.
Restacking of deeds, obligations, bills, etc now under way - will need several "stand alone months" to figure bets on moving or staying.