Author Topic: Paddle Key  (Read 404 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Paddle Key
« on: October 19, 2023, 08:07:52 AM »
I love CW on Ham Radio but I rarely use it because it puts me to sleep. However, having the ability to use it if needed caused me to build my own Paddle Key. I used an old Magnetic antenna base. I left the bent piece of steel that was attached to the top so I could mount my paddle to it. I cut a piece of double-sided circuit board and attached the 2 wires to it. It was perfect because the Double-sided circuit board has the perfect amount of flexibility. I removed the copper foil from the end where my fingers would be placed to move the paddle back and forth. This thing cost me nothing and that super strong magnet keeps the key from moving all over the place like most keys do. Yes, you must set it on something that iron or steel. Push the paddle one way and you get dits and push it the other way and you get dahs. To use a paddle key you will need to have a keyer that's either built into your radio or connect it to an outboard keyer. My key is built into my radio so it cost me nothing and it works as good or better that any paddle key that I've ever used. I'm going to try to attach a picture of it attached to the top of my 12 volt 60 Amp power supply. It does not require any power source. It only uses 3 wires. Ground, Dits, and Dahs. It plugs into the KEY input on the back of the radio using a 1/4 inch Stereo plug.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Paddle Key
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 08:34:43 AM »
Very cool, PK! 

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Paddle Key
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 08:50:17 AM »
Way cool PKv!  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.