Author Topic: NE PA/SOUTHERN TIER NY WEATHER EVENT 12/22-12/25/2022 SOI  (Read 389 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
NE PA/SOUTHERN TIER NY WEATHER EVENT 12/22-12/25/2022 SOI
« on: December 22, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »
PLEASE PRINT THIS SOI IN CASE YOUR ELECTRIC GOES OUT AND KEEP NEAR YOUR EQUIPMENT

What:

NOAA Binghamton, NY (NOAA-BMG) is reporting that a major storm event will arrive today, Thursday December 22, 2022, late morning. Expect a wintery mix and/or snow depending on elevation at the beginning of the weather event changing to rain early afternoon. Temperatures will rise to 50 degrees F throughout a 24-hour period and then drop quickly to freezing temperatures by 1200 hours eastern Friday December 23, 2022. As the temperature drops, snow will develop and 1 to 2- inches can be expected depending on elevation till early evening.

Temperatures will continue to drop into low single digits Saturday December 24, 2022, morning and rise throughout Saturday to low double-digits. Low double-digit temperatures will continue through Christmas day, Sunday December 25, 2022.

The local area can expect minor flooding due in part to rain, and snow melting till mid-day Friday. Then as temperatures drop quickly a "quick freeze" will develop and freeze participation on all horizontal surfaces, e.g., roads, steps, sidewalks, tree limbs, etc. Causing a heightened probability of accidents on roads and foot.

As the area moves from cold temperatures to warm and then warm to cold again, the area can expect high wind gusts at the height of each ebb and flow period. During the deep freeze period a heightened possibility of power outages will develop. Prepare now for this possibility by getting ready backup power equipment and fuel if needed. Also, a good time to make sure light producing tools are serviceable and you have backups ready. Last, cold temperatures and high winds mean that the wind chill factor needs to be taken into account when outside. All exposed skin can become frostbitten within minutes. 

Currently, NOAA-BMG is not requesting weather reports. With that written, I am still going to be passing onto them weather reports from the area and I would appreciate check-ins using the following SOI (Signal Operation Instructions).

SOI:
I am requesting that all monitor the following PACE starting at 1200 hrs. local, today, tomorrow, and Saturday for emergency comms and storm updates if warranted.

PACE:
Primary:         Montrose Repeater 147.375 Mhz, +.600 Mhz, PL 77.0 Hz *
Alternate:       Binghamton, NY airport repeater 146.865 Mhz, -.600 Mhz, PL 146.2 Hz/                       
                                linked repeater for western Broome & Susquehanna County 146.820, -.600 Mhz, PL 146.2 Hz                                               
Contingency: HF Radio, 3.964 Mhz LSB or higher till clean air
Emergency:   Signal **

Times:

Thursday, 12/22/2022 (All times in eastern, using the format from below)
      > Monitor Primary starts at 1200 hrs. in case of emergency or further developments.
      > 1900 hrs. SWAG (Susquehanna Weather Advisory Group) check-in on Primary,
      > 1930 hrs. SWAG check-in on Contingency (Monitor SWR before TXing due to possible ice
          buildup on antenna)

Friday, December 23, 2022 (All times eastern, using the format from below)
      > Continue to monitor Primary for emergencies and information
      > 1200 hrs. SWAG check-in on Primary, using the format from below
      > 1230 hrs. SWAG check-in on Contingency (Monitor SWR before TXing due to possible ice
         buildup on antenna)
      > 1900 hrs. SWAG check-in on Primary
      > 1930 hrs. SWAG check-in on Contingency, (Monitor SWR before TXing due to possible ice
          buildup on antenna)

Saturday December 24, 2022 (All times in eastern, using the format from below)
      > Continue to monitor Primary for emergencies and information
      > 1200 hrs. SWAG check-in on Primary, using the format from below
      > 1230 hrs. SWAG check-in on Contingency (Monitor SWR before TXing due to possible ice
          buildup on antenna)
      > 1900 hrs. SWAG check-in on Primary
      > 1930 hrs. SWAG check-in on Contingency, (Monitor SWR before TXing due to possible ice
          buildup on antenna)

Sunday December 25, 2022 (All times in eastern, using the format from below)
      > If necessary, Times to be determined

Check-in Format:

> NCS will ask for check-ins. Respond with your call, name, location, and if you have any
      emergency traffic.
   > NCS will collect check-in's and once completed, the NCS will call each check-in independently in
      order of check In for their report.
   > With reports, please include the following,
      - General situation, (Doing good, no electricity, etc.)
      - Snow/precipitation amounts if any
      - Temperature
      - Wind direction and if possible mph (Steady & Gusts)
      - Elevation,
      - Any general traffic

Questions:

If you have any questions, please ask them using SIGNAL.

*   Elk Mountain repeater still nonfunctioning. Yes, I do understand we will only be able to cover
     half Susquehanna and Broome County. Hence the Contingency

** If you want to receive announcements via Signal,

1) Download the Signal app from your Apply or Android store to your smart phone,

2) Text or email me your cell phone number, then

3) Accept my invite. You then

73 & God Bless,
JohnyMac
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:51:41 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: NE PA/SOUTHERN TIER NY WEATHER EVENT 12/22-12/25/2022 SOI
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 11:25:09 AM »
To UnchainedPreppers subscribers.

Posting this SOI here so I can reach out to local weather watchers easily with one link.  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 03:38:53 PM »
Here in Virginia, we had almost 150,000 customers without electrical power as the front came through.  Roughly 60,000 have gotten their power back (21:15 E)!  Our linemen are real heroes, up there, working up on the lines and etc. in poor conditions. Here by The Chesapeake Bay, we have soup on the kitchen stove,  the daytime temps were mild (mid-forties) but now with the cold front having pushed through and the sun setting, we are 19F.  The forecast for us is not bad at all, saying maybe 20F tonight.  We still have and never lost power.  Max measured gust on the Potomac River near here was 92 MPH, and sustained winds of almost 60 MPH.  I've been prepping firewood, splitting kindling and stacking it on the screened porch for easy starting a fire in the wood stove, should that seem a good idea.

19:30E - Peak gusts near here measured at 80 knots. ( a bit over 90 miles per hour ). You could weld a logging chain onto a manhole cover and fly it like a kite.

73 de Sir John Honeybucket

Ps. We do remember,  in Norther Idaho, when the temperature reaches 20F, it's a warning - A warning that Spring is in the air  ;-)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 09:18:04 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 08:47:44 PM »
Wind started here real early this AM and stay high until early afternoon.  Lights flickered a couple times with no outage here but lots around me.  Temps were around 40 at 0700 (sleeping before so dunno)  and stayed there until about 0900 with pretty good winds. 

Then they went down, fast.  1015 temp was down to about 29 and winds in the 20s gusting up to low 30s.  Late afternoon the winds died off and temps continued down.

Now (2043) its 11f outside with light winds.  Overnight low is projected to be 8.  Lowest here since early 80s.

Sat projected is 24 high, 15 low, Sun, 33/15.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 08:50:50 PM »
So Johny, how bad did it get?  Here in middle TN, the temperature never got above zero F today and the winds are brutal.  Supposedly, it's going to get above zero F on Saturday.  Looking at the long range forecast, it's suppose to get near 60, next Friday.  The current temperature is -1 and it was -3 F this morning when I walked the dogs around 08:00.  It's almost like being back in the Adirondacks though we had negative temperatures for weeks at a time up there.  Don't miss it at all, and the animals and I are looking forward to a warm up in the near future.

Hey, how about that global warming!   :deadHorse:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 08:55:31 PM by Jackalope »

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 11:55:10 PM »
Latest update on how cold it is. About 7PM it was about 20 degrees and now at midnight its 15 degrees. I've never liked it when the temp goes below 20.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 08:46:44 AM »
It's 0 degrees F, as I write this.  Supposedly, we're experiencing the coldest temperatures in thirty years, for this area.  The power went out for 15-20 minutes this morning, which jump started my day.  I was getting ready to implement our back-up heat measures when the power came back on.  The regional power companies have been doing rolling blackouts, but this is the first one we've experienced during this cold spell.

Our animals are decidedly unhappy with the temperatures, except for the dogs.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 09:32:29 AM »
Good morning folks!

-3 degrees when we got up at 0700E hrs. great room was 68 and our bedroom was 60. LOL. Variable breeze out of the SW/W 5-12 mph. Overcast with a thick layer of clouds. Not a good day for solar activity.

Yesterday, electric did go out for about 3-minutes. Then back on and we got to listen to all the damn electronics starting back up with the printer being the nosiest. LOL.

I mirror Sir John's comments concerning the linemen out there repairing lines in this cold and wind. God Bless Gentlemen.  :thumbsUp:

Around us, there has been folks without power for upwards of 12-hours now. All big utility companies. Our electric company is a rural cooperative. I do not know how this small cooperative does it while the big guys always seems to be down for hours/days.  :facepalm:

Although -3 is nothing to sneeze about, it is not the coldest we have ever experienced here at the redoubt. Back in 2014 we experienced -14 one day with about 5-days post that the low hovering in the low minus numbers like today. This seems to happen late in January every year though, not around Christmas. Last year, our low for the year was -12.

We usually burn 12 logs over a 24-hour period in the old wood stove. Last night (about 14-hrs ago) I brought in 16 logs. Down to 2 right now. I will wander out in a bit to fill up the wood box. When I do that, I will check out the chickens.

The chickens have their water on a heating pad which keep it from freezing. Plus, I have a heater on the wall of the coup. The heater looks like a flat screen TV and is about 18"x12" in size.

So there you go folks.

Wishing all a day of little stress and good cheer.  :cheers:

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 10:44:14 AM »
0705 today it was 4 degrees outside.  5-10mph wind.  Coldest temps here since about 1985. 

I am not pleased.

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 10:58:47 AM »
Just checked.  Its 14 here now.

Nemo   8)

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 12:14:43 PM »
I hope everyone north of here is making out ok.  We've had some cold temps here, low about 22? the last two nights and highs 40 - 45?.  It will be a little better tonight and tomorrow.  Then above freezing on Tues. 
That is pretty cold for us, especially since we have had below freezing temps for 12-14 hour stretches.

It is a concern for us, but not the danger you other folks are facing.  Hopefully we will all be back to normal soon. 
Mike