Author Topic: Emergency Comms  (Read 1001 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Emergency Comms
« on: August 08, 2022, 09:29:15 AM »
The good part starts at 4:00. Thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DGOyvNLk6Bg
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
Re: Emergency Comms
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 12:56:19 PM »
1.  I appreciate the work of S2Ug.

2.  The topic of shortwave is long overdue, though well demonstrated by others like Radio Prepper - Gil and Survival Tech Nord, most preppers have zero idea the difference of HF, VHF, UHF. I don't think this video added to their understanding.

3.  HF radio is NOT USER FRIENDLY. Thosee who state that getting a ham license NOW and building experience in how to use radio are correct.

4.  For those who don't read, a VIDEO based on the following foundation concepts article 'PrepComm 101' would be useful (or they can simply learn to read.).
      https://amrron.com/2014/01/25/393/

First:
  (AND S2Ug DID BRIEFLY ASK THIS QUESTION) "WHAT DO YOU NEED TO COMMUNICATE AND WITH whom AND WHERE?"  Different tools for different tasks. If it's a quick voice check-in with front gate security and roving guards a half mile away, sure, handi-talkies are fine in general.

SECOND:
Outside of ERIN and AmRRON, most Preppers see 'ham radio' as a small black plastic 'walkie-talkie'.  That's fine for daily comms within a few miles, but it's useless for talking with friends BLOS (Beyond Line of Sight).  This is WHY IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT TO DRILL INTO THE HEADS OF EVERYONE ELSE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LINE-OF-SIGHT (VHF/UHF) AS OPPOSED TO IONOSPHERIC COMMS "SHORTWAVE/HF".

THIRD:  In accordance with how and where you plan to use your communications equipment, how do you plan to TRANSPORT it?  If by car, is that realistic in , say, a hurricane/earthquake strike?  During a war, with zero gasoline and when any moving civilian vehicles are missile magnets?  If you can't easily add your comm kit to your existing rucksack, then it's likely not going with you.  I've carried those 123 pound rucksacks over very rough mountain and deesert terrain and that's was my gear PLUS we had to 'spread the load' for team equipment.  I see some HUGE transportable piles of radio equipment in videos, but they assume you're loading the family car and driving to a nice park with picnic table and taking a couple of hours to 'play radio'.  That's a good start at portable opns and good fun, but how realistic is it when on the move in a dangerous city or even out in the country? 

Do you REALLY need to transmit a PowerPoint presentation via HF radio or is an abreviated SITREP and question like "IS IT SAFE AT THE FARM?" more important?  During this hypothetical 'bug-out', rucking 75 miles to the family farm , only to discover that it's a smoking hole, well, that would be a bad thing.  IF YOU CANNOT COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR TEAM <YOU DONT HAVE A TEAM>

HINT:  Read some prepper 'survival' novels and imagine very seriously, how YOU WOULD need and use a radio in these circumstances, how would you recharge the batteries while on-the-move and fighting to stay alive?  Ask the hard question and then come here so that we can discuss this HERE on this forum.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:16:08 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »
Well said and couldn't agree more. In order to be proficient with anything, you need to practice. Frequently hear, "I don't need a license if SHTF". I usually respond with while you are correct, what to do need to do to get in touch with someone, to which the response is crickets.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 05:30:24 PM »
Every situation is different and not only that, every situation can change in just minutes. Our MAG has only one basic plan and that is to communicate locally and have the ability to listen to other distant stations. I gave every family in my MAG identical radios with an operating manual, one particular frequency to monitor, a brief talk on how they operate and what distance they can expect to communicate. If they need to get a message out "Long Distance", they'll probably need me to use my HF, VHF, and UHF base station to do that. They better hope that I don't get shot. :faint:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 07:29:14 PM »
    I've found that the practical application of radio techniques is extremely important for those that have indicated a need for communications in a SHTF situation.  Unlicensed and newly licensed amateur radio operators base of lot of their beliefs on what they've seen in the movies or on TV.  Getting into the field and demonstrating the limitations of various radios and frequencies is well worth the effort.  Our local MAG has actually used our radios in scenario based training.  We were able to show how far radios worked in various modes and frequencies, in both portable to portable, and base to portable operations.

For those that haven't experienced it yet, I do recommend NC Scout's RTO course, which actually goes beyond amateur radio, and instead teaches how to use radios in a non-permissive, hostile environment.  He teaches methods that are not approved by the FCC, but methods that will keep you alive and operating.

It's important to think out of the box.  In a kinetic situation normal rules do not apply.  Programming a radio with just one frequency is guaranteed to cause problems down the road, either with DFing, or jamming.  Plus, newbie operators like to push buttons, and they will eventually have problems, this, I know from experience.

Our MAG settled on one model of portable VHF/UHF radio.  The radio is capable of being recharged via USB, and small USB solar panels are part of their kit.  We provide a SOI, with frequencies to monitor, times, etc.  The important thing is to practice with their radios, so the radio operators are familiar with both the radios and report formats.

We do have some folks in our MAG that are beyond LOS.  Those that are licensed provide their own equipment and back-up power.  For the initial contacts, while at our bases, we use as much power as needed to ensure communications.  Life is too short for QRP, when a message has got to get through.  When operating portable HF, QRP or low power, is more or less required, so operators use lithium batteries with small solar panels.   Radios range from a CTX-10 with built-in batteries, a FT-817, a FT-897, to several MFJ QRP SSB single band radios.  Flexible solar panels are mounted on backpacks to recharge batteries.  We've learned a lot from the SOTA (summits on the air) folks.  I do not push CW operating. I'm happy enough just getting folks licensed.  If folks want to learn CW, that's great, but I don't want to overburden them initially.

S2 does provide some interesting information.  I'm more interested in making sure the folks in my group know how to effectively use their radios without drawing attention from Imperial Forces, so they live for another day.  Amateur radio provides a great foundation, and it's a good starting point for those interested in SHTF situations.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 09:33:35 PM »
Good replies.

Practice to pass short messages.  Naturally, doing this in cleartext is what we do pergectly legallyright now.  If for some tragic reason you ever MUST pass an enciphered message during TEOTWAWKI, you simply send it as you would have sent a cleartext message. Naturally, this is not done now, due to our ham radio restrictions banning private conversations on the ham bands.   

How many here go camping, or on road trips?  If so, set-up a radio sked with others on this site, and make your scheduled radio contact while on the road, or camping along the trail and pass a short Situation Report to be posted to this forum. Each sked and message pass adds a small sense of urgency and accountability. Using radio for actual communication is good fun and useful training & experience. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:37:37 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 08:49:07 PM »
A lot of good stuff here. I want to try some portable ops now that I am retired and have more time.  I don't know any preppers to work with around here, so that complicates things.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:50:40 PM by cooter »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 08:26:12 AM »
Two things...

1) Cooter you LIVE! LOL. Happy to read you are now retired.
2) This is a great discussion and really important top notch comments.

Keep it rolling.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.