Author Topic: DMR  (Read 941 times)

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
DMR
« on: July 20, 2022, 10:49:54 AM »
Not sure if anyone here uses DMR or not, but figured I'd share anyway. I've had my hotspot setup for over a year now (no DMR capable repeaters within a 40 mile range). Originally I used the brandmeister network for general comms, then found AmRRON and AHRN use TGIF. I used to switch back and forth between the two "servers", but found instructions to be able to use both at the same time. I switched it this morning and confirmed it works.

https://www.m7spi.co.uk/configure-brandmeister-and-tgif-networks-to-work-simultaneously-on-a-pi-star-hotspot/

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: DMR
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 02:55:01 PM »
    Definitely not a fan of DMR.  I have one DMR portable, for one specific use, so it spends most of its time in a pelican box.  I also have DSTAR and Fusion radios which are used more frequently, because they're more user friendly.  The Fusion radios are by far the easiest to program and to use, plus there's a local Fusion repeater in town.  I do have a multi-mode hotspot, but I don't use it very often.  My thinking is the hotspot relies on external infrastructure, so in the event the internet goes down, so does the hotspot.  I verify it's operational once in a while, but it's not a critical part of my preps.  It's good to impress newbies, but there are many other apps that do internet comms without a radio, i.e., zello, whatsapp, etc.  I think the only reason DMR became popular is the price of the radios.

If you're happy with DMR, that's great; there's a lot of folks that seem to like it.   It seems to me,  DMR activity is concentrated up in the northeast US, while much of the DSTAR is down in the South U.S. and of course there are many exceptions.  There is a mix of modes everywhere and I'm guessing that sooner or later, a manufacturer is going to come along with a radio that does DMR, DSTAR and Fusion all in one package.  However, manufacturers are in business to make money, so if they can suck you into their system, you become so dependent that you stay with one particular brand/mode because it'll cost too much to change to a new one (Motorola is famous for this).  I worked professionally in radio, and did work with DMR radios, and from my experience, the DMR equipment seemed to be overly complicated.  I can think of at least one radio seller/distributor that focuses on DMR, and has an on-line "university" to teach the intricacies of DMR, which illustrates the complexity of the mode.  One way to judge a radio... with a new radio, is it necessary to read the manual to start a QSO ?  If the answer is yes, then the radio is overly complcated.  Plus, in most cases, a computer is required to pre-program the radio for use.  For critical communications, I stick with the KISS principle, and DMR doesn't fit in the equation.  Sorry for the rant on DMR, If you like it, awesome, more power to you!

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 08:08:55 PM »
I have a DMR Handi-talkie. I leave it turned on whenever I have the other radios on. I monitor Virginia Statewide. Its connected to a 440 Cubical Quad beam mounted at 30 feet and poited straight at the local DMR repeater about 20 miles away. Do I like DMR? Nope, but I was able to buy the HT for cheap and it might become useful during emergencies, at least until the internet goes down. If you are thinking about DMR, then think Complicated, Confusing, and Obnoxious.

Offline Obh

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »
Agree with your points, I got the DMR radio when i only had my tech license.

I will say this though, running DMR simplex with a random talk group ID can definitely have its purposes, if you know what i mean

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:45:59 PM »
    That's true Obh, but it applies to any of the major digital modes.  With both DSTAR and Fusion in simplex mode, images and messages can be sent using digital.  If you don't have the same capability, nothing is going to be intercepted in a timely manner.  However, there are hobbyists who monitor and record everything, using SDR equipment, who can eventually decode most transmissions eventually.  Those One Time Pads and other methods can still protect vital information.  Don't overlook beams and low power to reduce the possibility of intercepts.  Think before you transmit.