Author Topic: China is up to its neck in economic trouble.  (Read 1174 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
China is up to its neck in economic trouble.
« on: May 02, 2022, 04:41:43 PM »
I'm really glad that I bought a ton of Chinese transceivers so I would have plenty of backups and radios for my MAG. The old Bao Feng's that would talk to whatever they heard are getting just about impossible to find and I think Chinese radios of all types are going to get harder to find because of the Chinese Shut Downs and Lock Downs. Then there is the Shipping problems with all that stuff sitting out in the ocean that can't come into port and unload. When I first heard the Phrase, "2 is 1 and 1 is none" I thought it was cute and probably true. Today "2 is 1 and 1 is none" has evolved from Cute to Serious. I honestly believe that in the future, those original Bao Feng Handi-talkies are going to be worth their weight in gold. I'll have to think long and hard before I sell any of them outside my MAG. If I do sell any of them, they ain't gonna go for cheap.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: China is up to its neck in economic trouble.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 09:39:16 PM »
 :thumbsUp:  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 12:56:16 PM »
Was discussing this and similar scenarios before there was talk of shipping disruptions, but the clues were on the horizon.  You are right on: we will probably be saying things like ' Remember when we could buy all those great things with a few keystrokes and have it at our door in a few days?'.  Hams largely don't build any equipment and we have been led to believe that only the latest, greatest 'contest grade' wonder box is worth our time.  For atLEAST your back-up, consider simple ANALOG (non-DSP/uProcessor) based transceivers. OTOH, Cooter and I make the weekly traffic pass using tiny, shirt pocket QRP CW transceivers.  Because I have digital capability, I relay Cooter's reports to JohnyMac on HF digital for his viewing pleasure.  Go as simple as possible for your back-up transceivers.

GET WHAT YOU CAN, WHILE YOU CAN.

Small AM/FM and Shortwave band receivers and a way to recharge the batteries, could be worth their weight in gold if TSHTF. Informatin is always a premium.  These "plastic radios" allow you to gather information/keep non-hams busy, without exposing your irreplacable ham station to damage.  Keep the ham rig in a can and use the "plastic radio" for routine listening, whenever possible.

Do you have the capability to solder, saw wood/metal and otherwise repair things WHEN THERE IS NO ELECTRICITY? I have a shop full of self-refurbished 'vintage' tools that any Amiish person would feel right-at-home using and I use them often. 

BATTERIES for your rifle red dot optics. 

Heirloom seeds (domestic, don't trust Communist China for real heirloom seeds).

Garden tools, hand tools, lubricants, adhesives, nuts, bolts, screws, nails, paints wood oils...for your shop.

We have great electric gadgets, however, as I used to say for years living aboard my sailboat when I'd hear things like "Why do you carry a sextant and paper almanac and charts- that's so slow and old fashioned'.  , "We're only one lightning strike away from The Age of Sail.".
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 11:33:59 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 09:25:47 PM »
Great comments and suggestions Sir John.  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 10:51:14 PM »
    The Baofengs are still plentiful.  I just picked up a UV-9S Plus, which is still frequency agile, out of the box. It's an 8 watt transceiver, laid out a little different than the UV-5R, and you can directly charge the battery without the stand.  I got it as a lawn mowing radio.  I wear a headset while mowing, and whichever radio I use gets covered in dust.  I got tired of cleaning the Yaesu radios, and worrying about one of them falling overboard when mowing on rough terrain.  Plus, it came with a USB charging cable too. The radio quality seems a little bit better than the UV-5R, and it was relatively simple to manually program.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0962VFT55

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 06:22:33 AM »
What "specs" am I looking for when shopping for the unneutered UV5R radios?
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 10:04:48 AM »
Deathstyle, you want a BaoFeng that is not restricted 144-148 Mhz. The unrestricted ones Tx from 134 to 176 Mhz. You can bypass the restricted range on a newer BaoFeng import by pressing a series of buttons at the same time and turning on the radio.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 02:29:13 PM »
Thanks Johnny

Also while spending $30 on radios is nice. It is concerning how much we spending on guns n add ons, kit packs and yet almost nothing on radio comms.

Ive been looking ar options to step it up in the dept ans am eyeing the offerings from HYTERA so far.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 09:49:52 PM »
What "specs" am I looking for when shopping for the unneutered UV5R radios?

I bought all of mine from AMAZON and I just scrolled down to the SPECS and if it showed Transmit 134 to 176, I figured it was good to go. So far, so good on all my purchases.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 10:15:05 PM »
Deathstyle, you want a BaoFeng that is not restricted 144-148 Mhz. The unrestricted ones Tx from 134 to 176 Mhz. You can bypass the restricted range on a newer BaoFeng import by pressing a series of buttons at the same time and turning on the radio.

OK, Johnny, don't make me drive all the way up to NE Penn and plant my foot in your ass. Tell us which buttons to push. :troutSlap:

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 05:57:39 AM »
Ah Ha.... I found the buttons to push to unlock a locked UV5R. Hold the Push to talk and the Monitor and the VFO/MR buttons down all at the same time and then turn the radio on. That is supposed to unlock all the frequencies. Hmm.... Since I don't have a locked version, one of you guys who do have a locked down version will have to try it out.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 07:15:22 AM »
 :lmfao: PKv.

Yes, you got it Brother. And it does work as I performed the operation on a MAG members new BaoFeng.  ;D :dance:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
Does anyone have one of the Baofeng AR-152 radios?  They're suppose to be weather resistant, and have a very long battery life when the radio is on stand-by.  It might be useful for a LP/OP, as it also transmits 15 watts on high power.  I wouldn't want to regularly use it on high power with a rubber duck, but with an external antenna is would be fine.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2022, 07:00:27 PM »
:lmfao: PKv.

Yes, you got it Brother. And it does work as I performed the operation on a MAG members new BaoFeng.  ;D :dance:

That's great news. The place I got that Button info also said that when you do it, it doesn't wipe out your previous memories. Usually when you do that kind of operation to a radio, you get what you want but if cleans the slate and you have to start all over again with the programming. Did your MAG buddy get to keep all of his programmed memories? :what:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2022, 07:28:45 PM »
PKv, yes she did.  :DrillSgt: ;)