Author Topic: Ebola discussion  (Read 10283 times)

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
Re: Ebola discussion
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2014, 06:42:11 AM »
Thank you!

brat

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
An article by a doctor for those interested...... Then make up your own mind and proceed as you feel comfortable.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/08/airborne_transmission_of_ebola.html

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2014, 08:34:12 AM »
An article by a doctor for those interested...... Then make up your own mind and proceed as you feel comfortable.

Like I said before, every pathogen (just about) can and will be "airborne" at some point.
But that is not quite what people are imagining it to be.

Unlike some chemical there is not now, nor will there ever be, a danger where you walk someplace outdoors minding your business and you will inhale the pathogen.
Indoor is much more dangerous but even then you need to be in some kind of proximity to a aerosol producing procedure or person, such as ultracentrifugation of a sample OR a patient who is coughing (which they do not always do).

aerosol transmission is a rare event and the majority of aerosol transmission can be prevented by the 95 paper masks and goggles, simple shooting goggle offer some protection but lab type goggles with side protection are best.

If you suspect you are in proximity to aerosolization and you have  a proper protective mask like a M40 or M17 or foreign versions thereof,
Go ahead wear then.

But exercise care.
Dont wear them outdoors (where there is no need) and get hit by a car or  a robber due to diminished awareness.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:40:09 AM by Erick »
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

gadget99

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
Erik,

Could you provide a bit of input?

The report on Sky News and the BBC that a nurse that was treating a priest who died in Madrid of Ebola has tested positive for Ebola worries me.

What is not adding up for this old soldier, is why there are so many health care workers coming down with Ebola. Yes I get the remote location instances and the instances where protocols were not properly followed.

Though I am getting the impression that there may be a bit more to the story.

An inordinate amount of people that are taking educated precautions are becoming infected.

The lazy part of me wants to paint this as human error, yet the old soldier in me is suspicious of the frequency.

Not really sure what I think of this.

I admit I am a bit more worried now.

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »
Erik,

The report on Sky News and the BBC that a nurse that was treating a priest who died in Madrid of Ebola has tested positive for Ebola worries me.

What is not adding up for this old soldier, is why there are so many health care workers coming down with Ebola. Yes I get the remote location instances and the instances where protocols were not properly followed.

An inordinate amount of people that are taking educated precautions are becoming infected.

I admit this report is worrisome.

But last time my spider sense was tingling when I heard that five (!) healthcare workers had been infected by just one dude getting treated for 3 days before he died in Nigeria got infected.

That was crazy and made me think we are really missing something big and I was ready to call my buddies and start  executing a slow + deliberate withdrawal to the BOL plan.

BUT then a guy who was on the ground in West Africa told me that the nigerians did not realize it was ebola and the entire first day they treated him (that means be in close proximity to him and his fluids) w/o any special precautions.
Which explains the infections rather well.

So w/o knowing anything more about this case than the BBC writes, I will reserve judgement and based on previous experience not be worried yet until more details become available.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2014, 01:52:08 AM »
Here's a recent PubMed abstract: Ebola virus disease: Potential use of melatonin as a treatment.

The purpose of this report is to emphasize the potential utility for the use of melatonin in the treatment of individuals who are infected with the Ebola virus. The pathological changes associated with an Ebola infection include, most notably, endothelial disruption, dissiminated intravascular coagulation and multiple organ hemorrhage. Melatonin has been shown to target these alterations. Numerous similarities between Ebola virus infection and septic shock have recognized for more than a decade. Moreover, melatonin has been successfully employed for the treatment of sepsis in many experimental and clinical studies. Based on these factors, since the number of treatments currently available is limited and the useable products are not abundant, the use of melatonin for the treatment of Ebola virus infection is encouraged. Additionally, melatonin has a high safety profile, is readily-available and can be orally-self administered; thus, the use of melatonin is compatible with the large scale of this serious outbreak.

BTW, melatonin is OTC.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »
Here's a recent PubMed abstract: Ebola virus disease: Potential use of melatonin as a treatment.

The purpose of this report is to emphasize the potential utility for the use of melatonin in the treatment of individuals who are infected with the Ebola virus. The pathological changes associated with an Ebola infection include, most notably, endothelial disruption, dissiminated intravascular coagulation and multiple organ hemorrhage. Melatonin has been shown to target these alterations. Numerous similarities between Ebola virus infection and septic shock have recognized for more than a decade. Moreover, melatonin has been successfully employed for the treatment of sepsis in many experimental and clinical studies. Based on these factors, since the number of treatments currently available is limited and the useable products are not abundant, the use of melatonin for the treatment of Ebola virus infection is encouraged. Additionally, melatonin has a high safety profile, is readily-available and can be orally-self administered; thus, the use of melatonin is compatible with the large scale of this serious outbreak.

BTW, melatonin is OTC.

Well Melatonin is cheap and relatively harmless.
So if you are sick there is probably no downside in taking it... its just that this is new/untested and any upside for Ebola will be speculative.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
New Ebola vaccine.

Nemo

Ebola Vaccine Commercial
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

gadget99

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2014, 02:57:13 AM »
Erik,

I admit this report is worrisome.

But last time my spider sense was tingling when I heard that five (!) healthcare workers had been infected by just one dude getting treated for 3 days before he died in Nigeria got infected.

That was crazy and made me think we are really missing something big and I was ready to call my buddies and start  executing a slow + deliberate withdrawal to the BOL plan.

BUT then a guy who was on the ground in West Africa told me that the nigerians did not realize it was ebola and the entire first day they treated him (that means be in close proximity to him and his fluids) w/o any special precautions.
Which explains the infections rather well.

So w/o knowing anything more about this case than the BBC writes, I will reserve judgement and based on previous experience not be worried yet until more details become available.

Thank you for the input Erik.

Burt Gummer

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2014, 12:37:04 PM »

BTW, melatonin is OTC.

Well Melatonin is cheap and relatively harmless.
So if you are sick there is probably no downside in taking it... its just that this is new/untested and any upside for Ebola will be speculative.

And this is the entire plot of the movie "Contagion"...  :lmfao: Oooh we live in a simple world don't we.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_15

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »
Great CDC panphlet for managing infection in african setting OR it could work for a Prepper :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhp8n5zh232opgi/african-healthcare-setting-vhf.pdf?dl=0

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
Interesting. I just recently started looking into storing Melatonin for this exact reason. Good to know there's some merit to my madness.
I'd rather be crazy than dead.

The imperial system is a tool of the devil.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/measurement-conversions.htm

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
And this is the entire plot of the movie "Contagion"...  :lmfao: Oooh we live in a simple world don't we.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_15

OMG, Burt, that was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I saw the post about melatonin.
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Burt Gummer

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »
interesting article
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ebola-spread-shows-flaws-in-protective-gear-and-procedures/

The Cleaning Guys workers who operated in the apartment wore full-face respirators and Level B Saranac suits, which are completely enclosed to protect against particulates and liquids, as per Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations. These workers typically wear this type of gear when cleaning biohazardous materials and crime scenes, both of which may require protection from blood-borne pathogens, according to Smith. He would not go into detail about the process used to clean the apartment and surrounding area but did say that all of the items in the apartment were removed and placed in containment, with transportation and disposal to be handled by a different company.

Smith also points out that his cleanup workers wore three layers of gloves to protect themselves while working but also to safely undress after the work was done. “That way, you can undress in layers, keeping your hands protected as you remove layers of possibly contaminated clothing,” he says.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2014, 09:51:21 PM »
Interesting read Burt - Thanks.

As a side note: Erick will be away from the forum for a couple of days. When he can he will read and contribute to the topic however it will not be immediate.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
Erick, would it be alright with you if I shared some of the info from your original posts on this thread  with a local "Ebola awareness" group that I'm a part of?  I do think that those involved could benefit greatly from it.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
May I suggest you invite them to come here.  I would suspect they would have some things that could contribute to the knowledge base here just like you have. 

I know its quite possible they are not really the general prepper type and could easily be turned off by this place.  But the whole status of the world might let you get some new friends/preppers/back up/ and the like where you are.  Just a thought.

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2014, 07:03:56 PM »
How Liberians remove an Ebola infected cadaver from a home:

Skip forward to about 4:40.

A TASTE OF REMOVING AN EBOLA DEAD BODY
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »
Between 6:45 and 6:55 it has a ticker stating that this is the removal of a single body in Virginia on August 6, 2014. 

I am relatively sure that did not happen in the Virginia I lived in (the USA Virginia) for 30 years a bit back.  That gives me a bit of doubt on all of it.  The vegetation is not generally Virginian as well as the language, spoken and body, and most other little things shown.  Those support it as the Central Africa area.

Details?  Corrections?  Explanations?  Any credibility enhancement?

At 7:40 the ticker comes on and praises those workers and says Liberia.  That fits but the Virginia error?  I am still unconvinced.

The Virginia ticker repeats at 12:04 to 12:17.

The Liberian ticker repeats at 12:42.

Nemo
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:25:17 PM by Nemo »

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »
@Nemo
Liberia was colonized by former slaves from America.  They named some of their areas (village, city, town, etc.) with names that were familiar to them.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
Special K, I am aware of that but its a bit short to me.

Nemo  :tinfoil:

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »
Will an N95 mask be enough to stop from breathing Ebola?

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2014, 11:31:03 AM »
Will an N95 mask be enough to stop from breathing Ebola?
An N95 will not stop an airborne virus.     :gasMask:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:36:34 AM by special-k »

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »
From what I've heard an n95, goggles and gloves can reduce the risk but it is not nearly effective enough to keep you safe. But this is just hearsay, I cannot personally confirm it, not really sure why I mentioned it.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »
I'll just put this out here... y'all take from it what you like.

Yesterday I brewed 6 quarts of nano-silver (internal use) to add to my stocks.  So far today I've brewed 2 gallons of crude colloidal silver (external use antiseptic/hand sanitizer/surface disinfectant.)  I still have more empty jars.