Author Topic: Hard casting projestiles & general reloading supply info...  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
Hard casting projestiles & general reloading supply info...
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »
First of all tell me what town you're in so I can know if I can go pick it up. Second of all, do you know off hand what the laws are of a Tennessean going to Georgia to buy a gun? Or has that ability been infringed upon?

Also, I was looking into eventually stocking up on some more 75 grain .223 Hornady HPBTs. And I eventually would like to get into lead casting as well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:41:38 PM by thatguy »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Hard casting projestiles & general reloading supply info...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »
Grudgie,
lead casting for .223 would not be recommended as the speed of the bullet would cause leading of your barrel and probably screw up the gas system. Mow with that said: In  TEOTWAWKI situartion casting your own .223 would be better then not. Maybe drop the FPS down to the mid 2,500's but????

Just food for thought.  :))
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
Grudgie,
lead casting for .223 would not be recommended as the speed of the bullet would cause leading of your barrel and probably screw up the gas system. Mow with that said: In  TEOTWAWKI situartion casting your own .223 would be better then not. Maybe drop the FPS down to the mid 2,500's but????

don't quote me here because I'm still very much an amateur, but to my understanding, unjacketed lead projectiles will foul your barrel regardless of velocity. I'd personally rather achieve a higher FPS, jacketed or not. either way, grudgie is onto something for sure. lead casting experience and equipment will be more valuable than gold.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
Grudgie,

don't quote me here because I'm still very much an amateur, but to my understanding, unjacketed lead projectiles will foul your barrel regardless of velocity. I'd personally rather achieve a higher FPS, jacketed or not. either way, grudgie is onto something for sure. lead casting experience and equipment will be more valuable than gold.

Yeah pure lead bullets in a glock is dangerous beyond 200 or so rounds so velocity dosent dictate fouling all that much. Also im not sure a full lead bullet would survive at .223 velocities without some big deformation or totally breaking apart. I could be wrong but i know even FMJ's break apart if they are too light a grain for the twist rate.

On a side note its been told that some indians would cast gold bullets because they couldnt find any lead and they found the shiny yellow metal that was heavy like lead. they didnt know any better.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
Grudgie,

I want to cast for .45 acp and .44 magnum. But it is possible to cast rifle bullets and higher velocity projectiles with harder lenotype lead. It's an alloy of lead, tin, and  antimony.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:23:01 AM by Grudgie »

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
If you're interested in rolling your own projectile in .223/5.56 caliber then Corbin has some products that will be right up your alley!

Corbin's Main Page

Corbin makes a neat set of dies that form a spent .22 brass into a .223/5.56 bullet. I haven't used one personally but they have great reviews.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
Great site that I didn't know about TG...Thanks.

Grudgie,
I have molds to cast bullets for all of our weapons EVEN .223. My thought is buy it now as it may not be available in the future  ;) I just don't plan on playing with it unless I have to. The other molds I bought I put away for the future too. If you would like my list I will send it to you. Remember to buy gas checks to match the calibers you are going to mold for. Gas checks will help in the deforming of the lead bullets being shot out of a high powered rifle. One of the molds I purchased (Actually my brother purchased) is Lyman 311314 which is a 170gr bullet that can be used in 30-30, 300 Savage, 308Winchester and 30/06.

I have not cast any bullets other then .452 SWC for my 45ACP and of course for my black powder weapons both long gun and pistol. I use wheel weights for the 45 ACP and 100% pure lead (Well pretty close to 100%) for all of the BP weapons.

Good luck Grudgie!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:36:03 PM »
That sounds like a really cool mould. Where are you getting wheel weights?

Also, bullets will be next to useless unless I can also learn to make my own powder and primers.

Alright, so I can get 50 pounds of lead ingots from Ebay for about $50 shipped. Doing a little math that would be able to mold 1521 230 grain bullets which comes out to roughly .03 cents a round.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:46:20 PM by Grudgie »

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »
primers is easy to make if you got strike anywhere matches

but i have yet to see anyone who can make their own powder
hell look at history one of the big factors leading up to the revolution was brittain threatening to cut us off on black powder 'rif it was simple wouldn't you think if it was easy to make SOMEONE in the 13 colonies would be able to make it ???
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
But we have two very important things that the Colonists didn't have.

1. Precise measuring tools
2. The Internet

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »
But we have two very important things that the Colonists didn't have.

1. Precise measuring tools
2. The Internet

dude if you find it and make it test it and it works by all means let us know,
i'm just saying alot of people say its simple to make i have yet to come across one who actually can
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:54 PM »
In my youth I tried to make black powder. I was unsuccessful.  It did burn but at a slow rate. I have never tried to make smokeless powder.

BP can be used in modern weapons typically lever action or bolt however you have to play with it. With that said; basically, you have to stock up on shooting supplies now.

Eight pound cans of IMR 3031 will load a couple of thousand rounds of 30-30, 308Win, etc. Do the math 30 grains of IMR 3031 for 20 rounds is about 1.3 oz. There is 16 oz to a lb and 128 oz. to a 8 lb can. IMR 3031 will load .223 too.

I get wheel weights from gas stations for free. Melt them down in an old iron fry pan and pour them into molds.

Primers are around a penny a piece. Jacketed bullets are around $10- per hundred. Stock up now.

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:55 PM »
I don't see where you are getting these numbers Johnny Mac. Primers are a good $35 bucks for 1000. And I have hardly ever seen 100 bullets for $10.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »
Check out Pat's Reloading they have some of the best prices on bullets I've ever seen... it isn't $10 per 100 but it's close ;)

They also sell pulldown components which is a huge savings.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »
I purchased 1,000 55 gr FMJ .223 for $110.95 from Cabelas during a hand reloading sale in the fall of 2011. That was before I gave them a $20- off coupon. At the same time I bought 5,000 primers and if my memory serves me correctly the price was about $100- which isn't 1? a primer but 2? a primer. Sorry for my arithmetic.  :)) 

What TG recommended is a great site as is: http://www.wideners.com/  Wideners has the best price on IMR 3031 in 8# cans but the hazmat will kill ya'. They are good guys though in that you can order powder and primers on the same invoice and only pay the one time hazmat fee. If you order them separately (Two invoices) you have to pay the hazmat fee twice. :-))

Keep an eye on the big house retailers (Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, etc) as they always are giving out deals if you order on line. Cabelas OFTEN has free shipping which is great for factory rolled ammo. It seems like monthly, I also get coupons from Cabelas for store only use. There is a new Cabelas in my neck of the woods and I think they are trying to drive folks into the store hence the coupons.

Bottom-line. There are deals out there; you just have to look and be patient. I hope that helps.