Author Topic: Act of Valor  (Read 1894 times)

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
Act of Valor
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:11 AM »
Point blank. Save your phucking money on this one boys.

#1 Great movie if you want to see some military hardware in action with HD cameras. Though you can probably find the same and more on YT.

#2 Story was eh, so so. Acting left a lot to be desired. Not bad for amateurs though I suppose. The character interactions were pretty dismal usually talking about survival and family. Which I understand can be realistic, but you can only kick the same horse so many times in one movie.

#3 Action, when there was some and not just clips of a heli, planes, or some boats, was ok, but I have one simple freaking observation. SEALs or not, no one gets that many headshots in a row. Except Chuck Norris of course.  This was definitely NOT the way to make the movie seem "realistic."

#4 Music was off. It would seem climactic like they should be in a fire fight and next thing you know they're shooting the breeze  ???

I could go on, and on, and on. My only comfort in spending the money is knowing some of the proceeds are being donated to things like memorial funds and military family assistance. Aside from that I'd like my 2 hours back.  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

*EDIT* Had I realized someone already started a thread I would have responded there. Maybe I feel out of bed last night. I'm having a hard time seeing how this movie is doing so well. It felt like a suped up live action version of Modern Warfare 3 or something. Either way.  :-X
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:16:36 AM by WhiteWolf »
"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Act of Valor
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:36:58 AM »
Point blank. Save your phucking money on this one boys.

#1 Great movie if you want to see some military hardware in action with HD cameras. Though you can probably find the same and more on YT.

#2 Story was eh, so so. Acting left a lot to be desired. Not bad for amateurs though I suppose. The character interactions were pretty dismal usually talking about survival and family. Which I understand can be realistic, but you can only kick the same horse so many times in one movie.

#3 Action, when there was some and not just clips of a heli, planes, or some boats, was ok, but I have one simple freaking observation. SEALs or not, no one gets that many headshots in a row. Except Chuck Norris of course.  This was definitely NOT the way to make the movie seem "realistic."

#4 Music was off. It would seem climactic like they should be in a fire fight and next thing you know they're shooting the breeze  ???

I could go on, and on, and on. My only comfort in spending the money is knowing some of the proceeds are being donated to things like memorial funds and military family assistance. Aside from that I'd like my 2 hours back.  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

*EDIT* Had I realized someone already started a thread I would have responded there. Maybe I feel out of bed last night. I'm having a hard time seeing how this movie is doing so well. It felt like a suped up live action version of Modern Warfare 3 or something. Either way.  :-X

i think to appreciate the movie you have to understand what they did to get the shots they got... for example the submarine shot when it surfaced and the boat landed on it...that was during a live training exercise and they had 45 mins while the sub was surfaced to film. this movie took 4 years to film...they had to work around the actors depoyments. the families shown are the seals actual families, wife, kids etc...

also i understand they used live ammunition in a lot of the shots like when the 50 cal was dumpin rounds from that boat to the shore with all those tracers. that hasnt been done in a film since 1929. also there is no digital editing or computer shit in this entire movie... what you see in those shots are what happened in real life. no computerized stuff... this film goes back to how films were made back when they were still good. its a lost art. 
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:45:04 AM »
 I get the cinematography part of it. The movie just wasn't cohesive I guess is what I'm trying to get at.
Andrew Jackson

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
I get the cinematography part of it. The movie just wasn't cohesive I guess is what I'm trying to get at.

i know what you mean. i think i personally enjoyed it because of what i typed above aswell as im finally watching a movie where i cant point out any stupid hollywood errors to do with guns.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
ughhhhhhhh!!!! WW don't tell me that bro! fuck I've been waiting so long for this movie. I'm still gonna go see it (some people's taste is different from others obviously)... but either way, the negative review just put a damper on my day...  :-[
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »
ughhhhhhhh!!!! WW don't tell me that bro! fuck I've been waiting so long for this movie. I'm still gonna go see it (some people's taste is different from others obviously)... but either way, the negative review just put a damper on my day...  :-[

dont let some negative reviews ruin your view of the movie before you see it... this movie is getting horrible reviews around the country. most people just dont appreciate the film for what it is. let me put it this way... i was fighting back tears at the end of the movie.

my favorite badass moment in the movie is when they hit the water in the pickup truck and then the boats come flying in 50 cals blazing and it sounds so fucking sick and since i know its live ammunition it makes it that much more badass.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
Is that the movie they shot with all live ammo?

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »

yep and no digital special effects... everything in the movie is real... theres one shot where the subs moving like 5 ft under the water.... it looks so amazing it looks fake but its 100% real. 
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »

yep and no digital special effects... everything in the movie is real... theres one shot where the subs moving like 5 ft under the water.... it looks so amazing it looks fake but its 100% real.

oooohhhhh..... im gonna see this for sure

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't DISagree more.

I thought the movie was awesome. 100% worth all 20 bucks I spent including drink and pretzel.

Great acting. Great action. Pure Silence at the end. Not a peep from the crowd as we cleared the stadium seats.

Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »

I thought the movie was awesome. 100% worth all 20 bucks I spent including drink and pretzel.

Great acting. Great action. Pure Silence at the end. Not a peep from the crowd as we cleared the stadium seats.
You would have had a shit fest in my theater then lol. A couple people started bitching as soon as it was over. Ironically not me for once  ::)
Andrew Jackson

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »

did you feel that too at the end? it was like everyone was just quiet and respectful... no one even got up until the very end of the movie which is rare.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 12:40:41 AM »

did you feel that too at the end? it was like everyone was just quiet and respectful... no one even got up until the very end of the movie which is rare.

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Even heard the sniffels of a few vets inner sorrows.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
1) I have not seen the movie and will probably wait till it is out on DVD. I am just too cheap.
2) All of the reviews that I have read on the movie have been bad. I suspect the Liberal media
    didn't like it because it shows how great our service men are.
3) I was listening to Rush on Monday (Sorry NOLA  :)) ) as I drove up to Buffalo. Several callers
    called in to report that they had seen the movie over the weekend and liked it. Of those several
    callers many told similar stories about being choked up and the movie theater being totally
    quite at the end. One caller said that a guy stood up and clapped - Followed by most of the
    folks in the theater.

Thanks for the review WW and Ken. Keep 'em coming.  :))
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
ROFL, good ol RT [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Hollywood Pentagon Symbiosis

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:19 PM »
I think some of what they said reflects my view of the film. I don't agree with any tax payer money being used, active duty military soliders being used, propoganda, and especially targeting impoverished minorities. Not to mention the portrayal of active duty service members in war. Where's the guy pissing himself trying to dig a hole with his bare hands? Or the guy who just lost his leg from an ied? I know some people think "Phuck yeah! America!  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or " when they watch a film like this. It's a morale booster and a recruiting tool. Nothing more. Falling for these same old tricks is how we end up with old men in nice suits willing to send more young men and women to their unnecessary graves all in the name of profit *cough cough* I mean " democracy.
Andrew Jackson

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »
If I ever start agreeing with Russian propaganda TV it will be time for a serious self evaluation.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline RS762

• Committed prepper
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
If I ever start agreeing with Russian propaganda TV it will be time for a serious self evaluation.

I just think it's funny because you know the Russian film and defense industries work together all the time. Ever seen those Russian action movies? I've never seen so many real tanks and APC's in action films before. ridiculous

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »

I just think it's funny because you know the Russian film and defense industries work together all the time. Ever seen those Russian action movies? I've never seen so many real tanks and APC's in action films before. ridiculous

Rule 43  Never watch Russian action movies. 
Rule 44  Never visit Russian mail order bride sites.
Rule 45  Apparently a Russian Spetsnaz has to do a flip before he shoots at you.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 01:06:54 AM »
I loved the movie, thought the action and technology and techniques shown were awesome.  Still the whole time, I'm thinking "Goebbels."

In case you didn't know, Goebbels even said that he learned all the propaganda techniques that he used from Woodrow Wilson's administration, then I assume he put his own flair into it.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 10:02:33 AM »
Well, I finally caught the 7 O'clock showing last night.  In one word to describe the movie:

disappointing

The only part of the movie that really touched me was the ending when you are supposed to be walking out.  When they put up the names of the guys who had died since 9/11.

The action scenes were ok.  Although they could have been filmed it in 1985 because most of the equipment used in the movie has been around awhile.  They didn't show any new toys, most if not all has been out for years (decades).  For what they did in the movie, other than the sub scenes, they could have been telling a story about a marine platoon.

The acting was horrendous, even though granted they are supposed to be active duty Seals not actors.  I'd bet a couple of the guys, who may be SEALs, are not actually assigned to mission teams any longer due to their age.  The effort to show comradeship between guys in the team came off as kind of cheesy.  And the "you come from warrior blood" theme talked about all through the movie was flat out stupid.

It's been mentioned that the movie was an advertisement or recruitment ad for the Seals.  I doubt it.  The ending scene with one dead, one in a wheelchair, one losing an eye, and several others all scared up doesn't look like much of a recruitment tool.

Some of the action scenes are worth seeing but wait for the rental.

For those that don't agree, I'm sorry.  For those that do agree, what the hell was that supposed to be anyway?

Edit:  Those Navy Dress Blues are one sharp looking uniform that sets the navy apart.  I hear they're trying to change it again like they tried in the 70's.  I think I'll break mine out and wear it around the house today.  LOL!  (Like it would still fit.)     

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:22:23 AM by sledge »

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 11:17:09 PM »
Thank you Sledge. And here I thought I was losing my mind.  :))
Andrew Jackson

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 11:44:09 PM »
Thank you Sledge. And here I thought I was losing my mind.  :))

See, we look at some things the same way.  LOL!  You just have to call it like you see it.  Some just see it differently is all.