Author Topic: Going Home by A.American Review  (Read 5512 times)

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
Going Home by A.American Review
« on: July 26, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »

http://amzn.com/B00DMBMRYQ

Hey guys, I just finished reading "Going Home" by A.American and let me tell you I liked it a lot, so much that I already bought the second part called "Surviving home".

Is about a guy called Morgan that gets stranded in his car miles and miles away from his home and family when a big EMP happens.
The EMP stuff I think is overused because you can see it in all the prepping books, but its useful just to set up a quick SHTF situation for the rest of the story to develop.
In "Going Home" not much details are given about what happens in regards to the EMP event.

So Morgan grabs his bag and starts his trip to join his family, later he will find some companions that will help him in his travel.

A good thing is that Morgan's bag contents are real, you can look for the things he uses and they really exist, and the author provides tips without detailing for pages and pages all the contents of the bag like you can see in similar books.

The book is written in first person, something that in the beginning was kind of annoying, but you get used to it.
Also I think the book gets you hooked as soon as the first companion appears and isn't just Morgan walking.

It was a great read  :coffeeNews:

There is an interview to A.American at the survivalpodcast, check it at:
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/a-american-on-going-home

Now I'm reading "Patton, Montgomery, Rommel: Masters of War", then I have Max Velocity's "Patriot Dawn" and then I'll start with "Surviving Home" I'll continue posting the reviews when I finish the books.

Alex1992

Re: Going Home by A.American Review
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
Well I'm interested, where can I get a copy  :coffeeNews:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 10:29:12 PM »
He says in the interview you can still find the free pdf online and on his site. Im not sure if this is "Going Home" but he has chapters of something he wrote on his blog:

http://www.angeryamerican.com/going-home-book-ii-now-started

I guess it is the sequel titled "Surviving Home" but in this entry it has not yet been titled.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:47:53 PM »
yup that seems to be the first chapter of the second book "surviving home".
Before buying it I tried to find a free copy without success, so maybe it was removed like lights out.

But anyway I think is worth to pay 6 bucks for a great 450 pages kindle book.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 12:18:25 AM »
Do the chapters from "Surviving Home" appear to be similar to "Going Home"? IF so how many chapters? Because these chapters seem very short and I think there are only 30 of them. I'd be more inclined to make the purchase if I knew "Going Home" had substantially more to offer then what Ive read so far from "Surviving Home". I mean the guy spent almost 3 chapters on

***SPOILER ALERT*****

Show content
He spent nearly 3 chapters on Thad burying his mother and having a small funeral for her.

If "Going Home" had alot more chapters or the chapters were longer and more developed than Id be sold. I know he is new at this and fans encouraged him to get his work published but thats how I feel. It is only $6 so no biggie either way. I do like it and see he has potential as a writer.

Much better than David Crawford's second book, that was just awful. I even cringed when Sipsey Street Irregulars recommended it, all those wasted dollars.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 12:23:28 AM by Deathstyle »

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »
Amazon has previews of the books so you can get the feeling of the book.

Going Home has 404 pages and 12 chapters, although many of them are separated in different story lines.
I think the pace of the book was ok, it moved fast.

Call me crazy I liked "Collision Course", anyway "Lights out" was way better.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
UPDATE

So I swung by my local Barnes and Noble book store and saw both Going Home and Surviving Home. Certain that these appeared to be well sized books and I was tempted to find out what happens I bought both. BTW: The day before there were four copies of both titles each and when I bought them I snagged the last copies of either title.

They are great reads and that guy mentions his gear alot in some detail in case any of you liked that about JWR's Patriots. I highly recommend these books if you wanna waste a few bucks on survival themed entertainment. It is a novel and not really a manual disguised as a novel like Patriots is.

APX808 found a real gem. :thumbsUp:

Collision Course is still shit though.  :suicide: 

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
I just finished Going Home and liked it enough to buy Surviving Home. My wife is reading Going Home now.

Show content
The only thing I dislike about the book is the screwing around that Sarge's group does to each other. For a professional group of soldiers they act like guys in a High School locker room. But what ever...I liked the book enough to buy the second one.

As we get enough folks reading these books lets start a reading group discussion. To make sure you don't spoil the books for folks who haven't read it yet or in the process of doing so - Use the Sp (Spoiler Alert).
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:47:46 AM »
I liked Going Home a lot. I found it very entertaining. The characters received decent development, IMO, and nobody is a badass with 20 years in SpecOps and enough supplies to last a decade already prepped using funds/resources given them by their grandfather's will, or a magical employer who happens to give you thousands of dollars' worth of silver coins and free fuel. Regular people with seemingly average options and abilities. I can connect with that.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
I finished "Patriot Dawn" and I'm about to start reading "Surviving Home", I hope the second part is as good as the first one.

Show content
The Sarge's group constantly fuck around like a bunch of kids, but who knows, probably there are many sarges like that, don't forget they aren't in the regular army anymore. Anyway when they need to act they put their poker faces.

What I didn't liked is at the beginning when he was walking alone that starts shooting down people like crazy, he kills 3 guys in 100 km. I think the author just wanted something to happen in the way just to not be boring.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
Yeah I hear ya' APX.

Don't read the Spoiler till you are 1/4 of the way into Surviving home  :o

Show content
You think killing 3 people within 100km's is something wait till you read Surviving Home.  :o

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
Surviving Home spoiler

Show content
Anybody else have a Pat on their street? I do. The thing that bothered me was that they drove around alot using the Suburban or ATVs. Also they pretty much ignored the whole perimeter and focused on the one street into their community. How big were those homes anyways? The book said some were like 20-40 acres.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
Deathstyle,
In FL. it's the norm in suburbia to have a bunch of homes along a road which is an off-shoot of a major hwy. The houses/properties along that road are typically 10-50 acres or so. Some folks raise horses as a hobby. Some folks have gentleman farms. Some folks just cut acres and acres of grass.

Spoiler alert for Surviving Home
Show content
To your point though: They never had security out. No Patrols. ETc. It seemed that Morgan forgot what he did on his way Coming Home. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:44:40 AM by JohnyMac »

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 07:41:14 AM »
Fuck you guys with all those spoilers from Surviving home, you are making me read it faster :P

John, your spoiler is for surviving home?, please state that clearly, as this thread is about the other book