Author Topic: Howdy from Wisconsin  (Read 1405 times)

chenmi

Howdy from Wisconsin
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »
My wife and I started prepping in 2009 after I studied the causes of the Great recession.  I concluded the causes were only one small part of a much bigger problem.  The big problem, IMHO, is the unrestricted growth in the human population.  I think all the major problems can be related to the resulting competition for resources, most importantly those that are scarce or dwindling.  I will post specifics for comment and debate as I get time.  I am a retired HS science teacher and computer network admin.

I am concerned, especially with the prepper community.  We preppers, as more likely survivors of TEOTWAWKI, need to keep our independent critical thinking as clear and fact based as we can.  People tend to live near and associate/socialize with people who think like themselves.  Studies document this in US.   Sometimes the consistency of the opinions around them lead groups to think they have a lock on the truth.  "After all, everyone I know agrees with me."  Thus as a group their ideas develop a life of their own. They then tend to scoff at facts and ideas that don't fit the group consensus without looking at the merits. They dismiss data that doesn't fit as lies. Theories that don't fit are conspiracies, typically by unnamed groups who stand to gain financially. Let me step on some toes by offering examples like the Democrats, Republicans, anti-vaccination advocates, both fracking and anti-fracking groups, carbon tax advocates and climate change deniers.

In order to get off here on the wrong foot and step on as many toes as possible,  allow me to identify myself as the most liberal/left-wing prepper I know, lol.  I look forward to a lively, but non-personal debate of ideas.  I believe that even those of you with whom I will disagree are well meaning and thoughtful people who wish the best outcome possible for your fellow humans.  Any problems I have will be with your facts and opinions, not your character.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:25:20 PM by chenmi »

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
Re: Howdy from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
 Welcome. Lots of good people here.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »
Welcome chenmi!

Great group of folks here with all over the board, political and religious leaning's. I loved your line, "I believe that even those of you with whom I will disagree are well meaning and thoughtful people who wish the best outcome possible for your fellow humans."   :thumbsUp: You will probably find the majority of folks here Classic Liberals; that values the freedom of individuals — including the freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and markets — as well as limited government.

Then we have a few Communist and Anarchists to add just a bit of spice  ;)

Please don't hesitate to ask questions or to jump in if you have knowledge on a particular topic.  :cheers: 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

chenmi

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 08:07:00 PM »
Thanks.  I'm going to post a discussion starter on big government in News and Politics.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »
Welcome fellow Badger!

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 11:20:51 AM »
Welcome aboard Chenmi  :pirateThumbUp: