Author Topic: Howdy Folks  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Vladimirx01

• Prepper Apprentice
Howdy Folks
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »
Heya guys, newbie here.  Brief run-down on me (just to give you an idea of why I'm here)

18 years USAF.  I'm married with 1 youngish (6) son.  I'm a long time amateur prepper.  I'm up in the central northern midwest (dakotas is about as specific as I'll get), and I (will soon) live in suburbia.

Now to the fun part:

March, 2013: Catastrophic house fire.  We lost pretty much everything (preps, equipment, major damage to the weaponry, total loss of structure, currency, etc).  We've got an insurance check, but we're stuck in rebuild still.

I'm looking to take a more cohesive, coherent method to my prepping this time.  I'm coming into this forum (it was recommended to me) to gather help/advice (help = help with planning on what to get at what point, advice = get this kind of stuff, hold off on that kind of stuff).

I'll bring my experience to the table (its limited, but its there.  I've been canning my whole life: some of my earliest memories are of snapping beans for canning.  I've been a firearms guy for a LONG time.  I've done minor construction, electrical work, minor automotive repair and farming.  I have a garden every year but this year (temp housing).)

Looking forward to talking with ya'll. 

EDIT: as I'm reading intro posts, I did want to mention:  I'm lucky!  My extended family doesn't think I'm nuts; they're preppers too. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:31:30 PM by Vladimirx01 »
Vladimirx01
Que Serra Serra

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Howdy Folks
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »
Welcome Valadimirx01!

I am glad that you found us! Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident back in March of this year. The good news is that it sounds like all of your family is doing well though. I went through a similar but not as devastating as your event last October when Hurricane Sandy came aground. The biggest bummer for my wife and I, although we had good insurance; insurance can never compensate you or your family for the time you put into your home and belonging's nor the stress & depression post the event. Good luck! :thumbsUp:

As you have already seen, this group has a wide amount of knowledge on many subjects. Many of us may be strong in some area's while weaker in others. So don't be hesitant jumping in when you can share your experience or be apprehensive asking for advise.

Just don't provoke old hjmoosejaw as he is a crotchety old hoot!   :hiding:

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »
Welcome Vladimirx01. I hope you will share you rebuilding process with us. As JM mentioned, there is a lot of knowledge among the forum members and plenty of brains to pick (in a non-zombie kinda way) if you get stuck on something, or need a different perspective.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:30:19 AM »
Welcome vlad!

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:20:05 AM »
Welcome!  So sorry to hear about the fire.  That must have been devastating.  Good luck with the rebuild and welcome aboard.
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
Welcome aboard Vladimirx01  :pirateThumbUp:

The fire must have been a pill hard to swallow. Is good to hear that you could get on your feet and are working on your preps again.

Feel free to contact me or other of the staff guys if you need anything, and enjoy your stay.