Author Topic: Hello from the California Central Coast  (Read 2224 times)

gsfields2004

Hello from the California Central Coast
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »
All,

My name is Greg and I'm a newbie prepper and a newbie author/screenwriter of post-apocalyptic fiction.  My newest published work is a novel called Under Vanishing Skies which hit #1 in Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian fiction on Amazon's Best Seller lists. 

Now before you start pelting me with insults (or more physically damaging things) for an unsolicited promotional post here within the sanctity of Unchained Preppers, let me assure you that I'm not here to sell you anything.  I'm here to learn more about survival techniques and the prepper communities for a screenplay that I'm currently writing. 

My own prepping experience is pretty limited.  I grow my own grapes and produce wine and vinegar.  I grow my own olive trees for fruit and oil. I raise my own livestock for meat, milk, and other biproducts.  I preserve the fruits and vegatables I grow and I store seeds.  When civilization crumbles, I plan to continue to eat well.  And while I served in the US Air Force for 23 years, my overall background in weapons and tactics are pretty limited.  Let's face it, the Air Force doesn't do a great job teaching survival skills outside of how to book a hotel room in a combat zone.

I've been a voracious reader of post-apocalyptic novels since the tender age of 10. Alas Babylon was my first. Over the years I've noticed that most books and movies portray survivalists and doomsday preppers as two dimensional characters...usually dumb hicks with a screw or two loose. There are some exceptions of course, but for the most part this is what I find in books and movies.  I'm hoping to change that, or at the very least offer a more holistic and realistic characterization of preppers as individuals.

I look forward to getting to know you and learning how to be more self-reliant.  If any of you are interested in helping me achieve my goal with this screenplay, please let me know.  I'd love to set up a thread where I could post some excerpts, concepts, ideas, etc and allow you to provide feedback (i.e. set me straight when I'm in la-la-land).   

G.S. Fields
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:16:51 PM by gsfields2004 »

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
Re: Hello from the California Central Coast
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
Hey Greg, welcome to UnchainedPreppers  :pirateThumbUp:

We have a library section, feel free to share excerpts or promotional material of your novels/screenplays in there, and congratz for getting the #1 position in the Amazon dystopian rank!

Hope you enjoy your stay and don't doubt in contacting me or any of the other staff members if you need anything,

gsfields2004

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  Really impressed with the information that you've been able to pull together.  Some great stuff I can use in my work and some interesting things I'm planning to test out on my property.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »
Welcome Greg, glad to have you aboard the good ship UP.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
Welcome aboard! I loved Alas Babylon.  It was transformational for me.  I'm also working on a prepper fic - novel, not screenplay, though.  I want to represent your non-traditional preppers, too.  Not the redneck/crazy view that a lot of people have and not the (apologies to some on this board) uber-Christian and/or anti-government types that are a big part of prepping.  I'll check out your book - sounds interesting.
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

gsfields2004

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
Well-Prepared,

Thanks for the warm welcome and let me know if you'd like me to beta read your novel when it's ready for that.  Maybe we could even collaborate or discuss prepper characterizations in a thread somewhere on this board. 

If you send me your contact info through my website, I'd be more than happy to send you a coupon for a free download my novel.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Sounds good! What's your website?
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

gsfields2004

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:04:07 PM »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
Welcome Greg to Unchainedpreppers  :cheers:

As you have figured out by now we have a great group that is growing. Many of us have been doing this thing for awhile and some are new. With that said, from pro to newbie we can always learn something new. Don't hesitate jumping in and asking questions and or offering input from your own experiences.

We have been lucky to have existing authors share parts of their writing's to get feed-back. We also have a few guys & gals who are regular YouTube contributors and often share their video's ahead of time for input. 

Last, what part of central CA. are you from? Not trying to pry so you do not need to be specific just that I spent a lot time in a past life working in the Watsonville, Santa Cruz area.

Again, welcome!  :thumbsUp:

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »
Welcome aboard Greg! :cheers:

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
Welcome to UP, Greg!

Alex1992

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum Greg and now that you mention it I need to read your book  :coffeeNews:

gsfields2004

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »
JohnnyMac,

I live in San Luis Obispo county.  A haven of agriculture, wineries, outdoor activities, small towns, and good people...that is until the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant melts down.   :o

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
Awesome gsfields! I ran a Santa Cruz 40 aground leaving Morro Bay once.  :lmfao:

Long story made short. I was moving the SC-40 up the coast from Marina del Rey and went into Morro Bay about 4 hours after we rounded Point Conception for a quick nap and beer at the local bar.

We left on a falling tide the next day and tried to follow a fishing trawler out of the shallow harbor - Wrong move on my part.  :facepalm:

Once we grounded I had the crew all go to the starboard side and hang out over the rail and reversed with all power. With the boat heeled and the engine at full throttle ee got off the bar and proceeded to bang our way out of the harbor.  :thumbsUp: 

Again welcome to the forum!

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.